logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:51:17 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
That is, a right-click on what is a Multiview layer (eg a picture-in-picture) results in a drop-down of available Inputs to use for that layer. This would be a very handy way to quickly pick another source for a layer.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 11:26:38 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
+ 1

Although, this can become very complex as there are so many different aspects to the 'MultiView' feature that would be nice to have easy and 'Instant' access to with a 'Right' click.
I am very happy to have the top overlay channel "bug" re-instated and would not like to see it disappear again (giving easy access to it's most relevant parameter, such as "Text Editor" for XAML inputs), so I think the next step would be to cascade that down to any other layers that are also being used. Applying dropdown menus from there might be an option, but then that is not much different than using the 'cog wheel' and drilling down to the desired 'setting' adjustment.
Perhaps additional options to the "Right Click" on the cog wheel would be a better place to put a dropdown for overlay inputs.

Ice
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:37:34 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Upon further reflection...
Perhaps a "Right Click" of the 'Overlay' buttons of the 'Input' (1/2/3/4) leads directly to the corresponding 'MultiView' overlay input dropdown (5 could use 'Audio' button maybe).

Just some thoughts.

Ice
Video Dave  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:48:58 PM(UTC)
Video Dave

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
+1
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 5:23:46 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Ice has a good point in that offering right-click settings on a multiview layer quickly becomes complex. Didn't think of that (driven by my own need ;).

But, I don't think right-clicking on the overlay buttons is a good idea (these buttons are for something else). Neither is using the coq wheel (which would need nested levels to specify first which layer, then doing what with it). And the latter is a less intutitive way to address a specific layer.

How about a compromise. Right-clicking on the desired part in the Input preview would offer two options for the corresponding layer:

- Select source, and a drop down list of available Inputs
- <contextual-suboption>

Contextual options would for relevant Inputs (those that offers simple alterations):
Video - browse for a video fil
DVD - browse for a DVD/folder
Image Sequence/Stinger - browse
Video Delay - Select source
Image - Browse
Photos - Browse
Powerpoint - Browse
Audio - Browse
Title - Title Editor
Flash - Browse
Virtual Set - Camera angle 1/2/3/4
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 8:30:07 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

richardgatarski wrote:

But, I don't think right-clicking on the overlay buttons is a good idea (these buttons are for something else).

I thought it was rather brilliant myself.

The idea behind the "right click" should be to provide 'instant' access to a variable that would otherwise require several steps or "clicks" to get to.
It's already somewhat 'intuitive' as each numbered button would reference the same number of the overlay in the "MultiView' of that input.
Granted, an accidental left click would be a "faux pas", but such might be the trade-off risk for convenience maneuvers.

In any event, I think that the focus should be on simplifying the process of what is likely to be the most "common" tasks that users perform with the "MultiView" special effect feature. If it involves multiple sub-menus and drop-downs, it just might defeat the original purpose.

Just my thoughts.

Ice
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 9:13:25 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Of course, I learn something new everyday...
I just realized what Richard was referring to by "something else".
'Right Click' of Overlay buttons sends overlay to 'Preview', and he is right, that is a useful feature that shouldn't be sacrificed for my "brilliant" idea, lol.

Point well taken, but the rest of my post still stands.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 31, 2015 6:51:56 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

haha! I thought my original request was brilliant - until your thoughts came up :)
Seriously, here we have a delicate balance between simplicity and flexibility.

First of all, let my describe one of my typical scenarios. We have a MultiView Input with a double box layout. One box is for a Skype guest, the other is for cameras on a host (Cam1), or a guest in the studio (Cam2), or both (Cam3). Depending on how their discussion goes I would like to use the double box for the combos Skype-Cam1, Skype-Cam2, Skype-Cam3. And quickly switch which Input goes to the "host" box. The choice has to be made quickly. Doing three MultiView inputs is possible, but if I change the MultiView Input design (eg box position) I have to change all three.

I do not like right-clicking on the overlay buttons for two reasons:

1. Basic UI rule: right-clicking on an item (Overlay) brings up settings for that item, not another item (MultiView layer).
(Actually, it would be nice if right-click on an Overlay button led to its Setting ("Overlay" button next the speaker icon.)

2. There is no physical mapping between the Overlay button number and MultiView overlay layer Input. For an implementation like this the operator needs to know which button corresponds to which Input. And if s/he knows, it takes extra mental effort to bring back from memory how things was mapped. And if the feature reqeust on overlay re-ordering gets implemented, things will get really messy...

Now analyzing what we have said so far I see two typical uses for a right-click on a "box" in an Input with MultiView.
a. Change the source for the correspinding layer (my need)
b. Change some setting for the corresponding layers Input (Ice's need)

Earlier I thought that which of the two uses could be handled by the first level in a two-level option menu. Thinking about it further I am not sure that's a good idea.

One alternative would be a new Multiview tab drop down setting for the Input, Right-click:
- change Input
- change Input setting
and for the second one, the settings I suggested earlier for the different Input types.

Ideally would perhaps be if this option would be available for each indivudual MultiView layer. But that would require a more elaborate re-design of the MultiView settings tab.