logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
doggy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:15:40 AM(UTC)
doggy

Groups: Registered
Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Hi all

So far Audio has been the bare minimum so far for me but its time to get a bit deeper in the use and setup so how do you set things up.

My first 'extra' has been the use of a little Numark USB soundcard which took the feed from the events speaker's system as seperate input to mix into my stream. personal headphone into the laptop plug.

I now additionally have a little Behringer Q1002USB mixer.

how do I set up vMix , use various line input and others and maybe even split things up (audio lingo not familair with yet)

I realise there is no one way of using/verifying your sources , how would you ?
- headphone (mixer or direct into laptop)
- Mics
- camera audio (direct ie HDMI or to mixer)
- other audio sources
- main, A and/or B

when , what, why

appreciate to hear your workflow

Guy
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:19:23 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Definitely having a sound board of any kind is a step in the right direction, at least in my opinion. The thoughts on which soundboard is best will vary greatly and it ultimately depends on what type of events/streaming you are doing and how many inputs you may need to use. I started out with the Q1002USB and to throw up a laptop, 2 headphones and start streaming, the Q1002USB is the way to go. But I then I found a need to have gate and compression control since we are doing sports and the commentators get excited.

I have used several different mixers and I am now using the Behringer XR18 Air and I love it because it has every functionality that I will ever need all built in. I have the XR18 mounted in a small box that has the mixer, power conditioner, and a tray to hold some junk. You can get the smaller version for a very good price. Here is a XR12 for $264. I put this same unit in our school gym and they are very happy with it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/...d678c:g:gWsAAOSwDNdVno-x

Even though it sais used, mine was brand new :)

I prefer the USB mixers like the one you have and my XR18. I have never had any problems in vMix with the sound. When I add cameras, I always choose no sound for the camera input. I use mics plugged directly into the soundboard for sound. Now you have full control over mixing the sound (ie crowd noise, commentators, additional mics for special speakers, singers, etc). Some of the guys may be using vMix to actually mix the audio and if so I am sure they will give you some info.

The mixers (including the Q1002USB) allow you to use a headset to monitor all of your audio. I have a headset on during the production and monitor all the sound through the headset. I hope this helps.

Tim
doggy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:36:34 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Thank you Tim

Still getting familiar with the knobs and plugs :-)

regarding monitoring sounds... say you have a clip with sound to play (during break or so ) is this also monitored through your headset (to the mixer )?

Guy
tdurhamjr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:50:41 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Guy,
For 15 or 30 second commercials (or any video clip), I do not monitor those. I have played them ahead of time and know they are good clips. I just verify there is audio playing in vmix when the clip plays.

The only audio I monitor is the live audio plugged into the sound board. When you have multiple people needing to hear the audio (ie commentators), then I would recommend this micro amp for multiple people needing to hear audio http://amzn.com/B000KIPT30

One word of advice on adding cameras and using soundboards. I once made the mistake of adding a camera and NOT setting the audio to NONE. So each time that camera went live the audio being picked up by that camera was also live. I did not hear that audio because it was coming straight into the vMix with the camera input. Needless to say the camera picked up some things being said that did not need to go live and when you have commentators always talking, it makes it heard to catch. You would have to see the audio meter showing audio when your mic inputs are silent. Bottom line is make sure you add cameras with NO audio if that is the route you are going :)

Tim
thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
doggy on 10/20/2015(UTC)
doggy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:28:53 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Tim

Thank you for your scenario and tips

is what I wondered regarding your 'accident'
There is no way to have that routed to the mixer ? from reading thought the USB has also output ? (remember I also have a seperate basic external soundcard)

as an external audio newbie is this something ? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w9ovvHmlEc or a I way of base :-)

exploring the various connecting possibilities...(and buttons /knobs too)

Guy
Kelvin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:31:02 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
For monitoring the sound in a vMix system I prefer to connect the headphones to my HDMI monitor that is playing the fullscreen output from vMix (with this monitor selected as the default sound device in the Windows sound mixer). For me, this is the only way to know the sound is properly going all the way through the vMix system.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
doggy on 10/20/2015(UTC)
doggy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 3:36:28 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
I once made the mistake of adding a camera and NOT setting the audio to NONE

one I made ... recording the output without the sound checked on :-( ( silent copy of the production )
r@wisla  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:29:24 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
tdurhamjr wrote:
One word of advice on adding cameras and using soundboards. I once made the mistake of adding a camera and NOT setting the audio to NONE. So each time that camera went live the audio being picked up by that camera was also live. I did not hear that audio because it was coming straight into the vMix with the camera input. Needless to say the camera picked up some things being said that did not need to go live and when you have commentators always talking, it makes it heard to catch. You would have to see the audio meter showing audio when your mic inputs are silent. Bottom line is make sure you add cameras with NO audio if that is the route you are going :)

I can't fully agree with this advice. You could always uncheck the automatic mixing (follow) icon. And the vMix audio mixer should be monitored, not the hardware one. (Kelvin, good advice with the HDMI monitor)

It's OK if You don't need to use audio from any camera, but there are situations, when it's necessary.

Like... what if:
- you have interview camera
- your audio mixer is more then 50 meters from this camera and you are on a 30K spectators stadium that behaves sometimes like Faraday cage = don't count on wireless audio
- you don't have / you don't want to use audio deembedders from HD-SDI cable
tdurhamjr  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2015 1:22:04 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

r@wisla wrote:
tdurhamjr wrote:

I can't fully agree with this advice. You could always uncheck the automatic mixing (follow) icon. And the vMix audio mixer should be monitored, not the hardware one. (Kelvin, good advice with the HDMI monitor)

It's OK if You don't need to use audio from any camera, but there are situations, when it's necessary.

Like... what if:
- you have interview camera
- your audio mixer is more then 50 meters from this camera and you are on a 30K spectators stadium that behaves sometimes like Faraday cage = don't count on wireless audio
- you don't have / you don't want to use audio deembedders from HD-SDI cable

There is no doubt many ways to setup vMix concerning the audio management and 2 methods could be different but equal in terms of output. If I was going to turn off the Auto Mixing function then I would just have no reason for having the audio added for that camera source. However, if I had a camera that was only used for crowd shots and crowd sourcing the sound, then I would bring in the audio for that camera and have it turned down to the appropriate levels to bring in the crowd sound when needed.

Each one will develop a desired setup method and hopefully the new guys can get several good ideas to work from :) I have been doing this for several years and I am still learning new ideas from this forum :)

doggy  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 7:06:32 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

- Any settings in windows one realy needs to pay attention to ?

- Regarding monitoring. reading the tip am I correct to in fact use 2 headsets ? one to moniroe the final vMix output and one to monitor individual audio iputs ( in the mixer) ?
Ittaidv  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:14:03 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Our setup is complex, we are working to simplify it, but this is how it works right now:

We record mainly DJ sets, so we take the audio of the REC OUT of the DJ mixer.

On top of that, we record crowd sound (ambiance) with a Rode NTG2 microphone.

Both signals run into a Zoom R 16 recorder, which records the audio in multi track. If we make a mixing mistake, we can always correct it. It also allows to record in PCM wav the audio, and still use a compressed codec in vmix for the video signal. The R16 also allows for use of a few simple effects like reverb or delay, and basic EQ.

The audio output of the Zoom R16 runs into a Focusrite 2i2 and from there into vmix.

We have a few little issues: the Zoom R16 records maximum 6 hours, and when you restart the recording it transfers no sound for a few seconds. Also it's stupid the R16 can't record and be used as a sound card at the same time, it would eliminate the 2i2 in the setup.

Still it's by far the best solution we could find until now:

- We always have a backup of the sound, so in the rare case of a computer crash we can still do some editing afterwards and make it look like nothing happened.

- Also we can correct sound mixing mistakes afterwards if necessary.

- Having faders and LED's for each channel is also helpful and easier to use then a mouse. It's easy to see if sound is peaking in the red, and to do quick adjustments.

- We have uncompressed HQ audio, but still don't need to use large heavy videocodecs for our long recordings

- We have phantom power for our mics.

- In case of a band or something, we can do a basic live mixdown of up to 8 channels and even multitrack record it for a better mixdown afterwards.

But.. If we find a multitrack recorder which can pass the FAT32 limit and record more then 4GB in a file (the 6 hour limit) and act as a soundcard at the same time, we would love to replace this rather complicated setup by it :)

IceStream  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 1:35:26 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ doggy

Audio is by far the most critically important aspect of any production and is all too often just taken for granted.
You must pay attention to your final output, as that is what your viewers ultimately hear, but that is difficult to do 'Live' because there is typically an inherent delay in processing everything that can easily throw you off.
Best case scenario is to have someone monitoring this all the time, but that is not always practical, so either two headsets or at least plugging in and out of appropriate jacks periodically is reasonably acceptable.
Audio routing can get very confusing and complex very fast, so the best thing is to keep it as simple as possible.
Part of the difficulty of using an external mixer is that you want to avoid creating a feedback loop, which is best accomplished if the audio from the mixer is only used as an 'Input', this, however, will prevent you from monitoring anything from vMix, such as video playback from your mixer or your Program output.
If you can successfully master the "Skype call" set-up:
http://forums.vmix.com/d...ts&m=11167#post11167
you will be well on your way to understanding advanced audio routing in vMix.

Hope that helps some.

Ice