logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mashynewie2  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 12:36:16 AM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Is there a way of linking 2 vMix systems at 2 different sites.

Eg. Sending video from 1 vMix as an input on another vmix.

Even better, can this be done in both directions?

I have already done this using Teradek's and Skype, but I would love to do this inside vMix itself.
thanks 1 user thanked mashynewie2 for this useful post.
sinc747 on 1/24/2016(UTC)
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 4:36:04 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
mashynewie2 wrote:
Is there a way of linking 2 vMix systems at 2 different sites.

Eg. Sending video from 1 vMix as an input on another vmix.

Even better, can this be done in both directions?

I have already done this using Teradek's and Skype, but I would love to do this inside vMix itself.

As far as I know. Not without something extra helping.
mashynewie2  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 6:11:01 AM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Damn. Well it would be GREAT if one of the existing (RTMP/RTSP) inputs could me modified to allow incoming connections.

This way a remote "Outside Broadcast" or "Remote Studio" could link back to the main studio, and by using the mix buses, 2 way audio could be set up.
doyousee.me  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:05:59 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
if you have a low latency cdn you can make it work can't you?
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 5:37:33 PM(UTC)
Speegs

doyousee.me wrote:
if you have a low latency cdn you can make it work can't you?

Maybe Vmix could include a localhost streaming server one day.

This is the streaming server I use for low latency:

https://wmspanel.com/nimble

Not for exactly what you are doing, it's free, very powerful and yes has some very awesome performance specifications.

I don't use it running on the VMix machine, but really couldn't see why it couldn't be bundled with VMix somehow like FFMPEG is if you wanted to use it from VMix itself.

I run it on Linux, but it does run on Windows. The authors of the streaming server are very helpful, I can get them on Skype/Email for when I was working toward the lowest latency streaming setup around and will take loads like 1 Gbit/s of streaming data on a powerful linux Virtual Server.

I'd suggest Martin has a look, rather than build his own RTMP server :) If that is a direction Vmix should go. However there is nothing stopping you from setting this up on your VMix computer, opening up some ports and streaming to localhost, then connecting the other Vmix site to the server running along side VMix.

I REPEAT, I have not tried this, but would work in theory very well. There is a little learning curve on configuring nimble of course. It's really designed to be cloud controlled via the WMSPanel website (essentially you can build your own complex CDN if you like) - Not free running WMPanel Controlled, but very reasonably priced. However it does work stand alone for free.
mashynewie2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:07:57 AM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Great! Thanks so much for this information.

So I am guessing a "vMix Input" will connect to the remote nimble server url?

I've been asked to network up some venues in my city and deliver video back to our central control room for streaming.

It would be great if I could just use vMix at each site without having to buy Teradek's etc.

I'll give it a try!

Speegs  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:22:58 AM(UTC)
Speegs

mashynewie2 wrote:
Great! Thanks so much for this information.

So I am guessing a "vMix Input" will connect to the remote nimble server url?

I've been asked to network up some venues in my city and deliver video back to our central control room for streaming.

It would be great if I could just use vMix at each site without having to buy Teradek's etc.

I'll give it a try!

Yes that is the idea. Nimble is an RTMP capable server, doesn't use much resources.

I would design your network with a Nimble server located at the most central place in your network design which has the best bandwidth hopefully as well.

Nimble has a setting in it's config, one extra line:

rtmp_buffer_initial_offset = 0

Add that to the nimble config for the lowest latency rtmp facility.

Otherwise add some buffering. Depends if latency is a factor for you. Buffering is good if your Internet is not very stable however.

FFMPEG via Vmix has about 2 seconds latency, your computer and ping time to server are a factor.

FMLE via Vmix has about 1.2 seconds latency, your computer and ping time to server are a factor.

If you wish to remove that latency you would have to go to a hardware H.264 encoder with RTMP (my preference) or RTSP. A Teradek Vidiu or Cube are such encoders, but there are many others.

Anyway Nimble is a free streaming server software program and with the right settings does not add much latency (every link in the chain adds a least little latency).

If you want to eliminate streaming latency, the encoder and decoder/player are the main things that add latency. (Vmix as a mixer is low latency, remember it's choice of encoders are bundled by 3rd party products).

As for using Vmix as the "decoder/Player" in this scenario I think you can adjust it's buffer of course.

I did all my testing before GPU encoding via FFMPEG was an option, not sure if that changes the game much.
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2015 2:17:31 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi!

As vMix has an external output feature, it is very easy to send the signal to another program like VLC or FFMPEG.

Then VLC will "see" vMix output as a capture card so you can stream the video using another protocol rather than RTMP. For example, you can use RTSP or UDP (Multicast/Unicast) or RTP/TS to a remote location. Remote vMix can then use the incoming streamed signal so that you can use it as if it is another camera.

Works very well, especially UDP which is fault-tolerant. I frequently use it for many situations over the internet or local networks.

If you have enough CPU, you can even stream to RTMP servers using the native functionnality inside vMix and stream to something else using the external feature and another encoder like FMLE, VLC or FFMPEG at the same time. And obviously you can also receive/ingest others streams as inputs.

Hope this helps...
Guillaume

PS : I have had problems receiving TS streams from an ATEME professional contribution encoder (Kyrion CM5000), never understood why. I also used an Extron encoder to feed vMix successfully on one occasion.