logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DeeJay  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2015 7:47:50 PM(UTC)
DeeJay

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Martin,

we are observing the following problem for quite a while now.
The stinger (PNG sequence) in our hockey production is around 30 frames long and got its cut point pretty close to the end. For some reason the stinger does not play to its end correctly most of the times in the live production. We assume it has something to do with whether we are producing under full load (instant replay, recording, external, overlays, ...) or not. This theory is not proven though.

We were finally able to record our problem in the following video. First you see the "broken stinger" and after that you see the stinger how it is supposed to be:

Anything you could think of the problem could be?

Greetings,
Daniel
krassesPferd  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 2:07:06 AM(UTC)
krassesPferd

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I can confirm this behavior. Happens sometimes in my productions.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 9:52:24 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I too have had similar experiences.
It is usually intermittent and seemingly has no rhyme nor reason to it, so it is difficult to reproduce.
Typically for me, it seems to occur if the file has not been accessed for a while and I have always attributed it to an 'access time-out' sort of thing (although I have never actively sought out to solve and rectify the issue, so I cannot prove my assumptions).
All my video files, including 'Stingers', are played from a standard 7200rpm Hard drive and are usually AVI files.
If the file gives me repeated problems, I tend to 'replace' it.
I understand how this can be very frustrating and sometimes embarrassing to deal with 'Live', so if there is a way to determine exactly what might be going on and how best to avoid it, I'm in...

Ice
Thremir  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2015 9:53:39 AM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I am also seeing this with double SSDs in RAID 0 (Caspar CG Standard), with both 500MB stingers over 3 seconds (~170MBps) and 5 second long lower thirds at ~50MB (10MBps) and it doesn't really matter what I do, they always make the FPS and rendertime unstable and not even close to capping my 3960X and 32GB of ram and probably not my 770 GTX either.

What applications are you using for rendering? What settings, codecs, filetypes are you using and what filesizes are the results?

I'm really frustrated by this as my PC should be more than enough to handle it.

Cheers,
Håvard

EDIT: Could it be a bandwidth problem in the system overall? I have two Decklink Duos, two Intensity Pros and a 4K card plus my 770GTX, am I wrong when I say that the SATA ports also go through the same chipset as the rest of the capture cards making playback sluggish?
admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2015 10:30:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Try converting the stingers to Image Sequences first.
In the latest vMix update a program called "vMix Video Tools" is installed in the start menu that provides
an option to create image sequences out of MOV and AVI files.

Image Sequences are stored in memory at all times, so this will eliminate any potential disk bottlenecks.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 5:46:53 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ admin

Thanks for this Martin, as I play with it, it seems to work great, although it should be noted there may be some adjustments that need to be made when choosing this workflow.

First off, as far as I know, png sequences are not created with audio, so I've had to add "Triggers" to accommodate an audio track to play simultaneously (which when using the original video could potentially present the same sort of issue from the audio side).
Secondly, I've had to adjust my 'Global' settings for Master Frame Rate from 59.94i to 29.97p, otherwise the sequence played out at double speed (so I'm not sure yet if that will affect other aspects of my set-up, seems to me that was the recommended frame rate to use when dealing with NTSC interlaced inputs).

Ice
admin  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 7:50:22 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
There is some undocumented support for sounds with image sequences that I didn't have time to add to the UI in 16.
If you create a wav or mp3 file with the same name as the first image it will be loaded and used automatically.

So if image001.png is the first image set the sound to be image001.png.wav

Playback speed will also be added in the next release, allowing you to select 0.5x speed if you want to use
a 29.97p image sequence with 59.94i workflow.
jaredquinn  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 5:04:13 PM(UTC)
jaredquinn

admin wrote:

Playback speed will also be added in the next release, allowing you to select 0.5x speed if you want to use
a 29.97p image sequence with 59.94i workflow.

Did playback speed ever get added? I just came across a situation where in needed to use 0.5x
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:44:03 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ jaredquinn

Short answer: YES!

Right click the Image Sequence Input and select your playback speed (just like a regular video Input).

Ice
crimonist  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2019 8:06:43 AM(UTC)
crimonist

United States

I’m having consistent issues with stinger playback, mostly related to the speed of playback being inconsistent or, sometimes, the stinger cutting out early.

I’ve used Video Tools to make .pngs out of mov files and imported successfully. Everything LOOKS right, but the stinger will randomly decide to play back more slowly sometimes, causing the cut between sources to happen before the stinger has reached its cut point.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Slaver  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 6:56:15 PM(UTC)
Slaver

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
@crimonist

I have the same problem with the stinger which cuts to early, but it only happens in the production monitors in vMix. The stream and the recording are without any problems.
kevev  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:29:34 AM(UTC)
kevev

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Try with a video stinger. PNG sequences have always acted weird for me in vMix.
Joeboe  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:44:24 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I don't get any issues with mine....maybe you have something set wrong....I remember when I first start using stingers, I was making an error, but once I got the hang of what I was doing wrong, I fixed it, and made many stingers, even for a few friends, and had to set them up for them...and show them how to get the to work correct.....there must be something you are not doing correctly.....or some setting is off somewhere in your setup....
MartLeib  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:35:11 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I've seen this behavior when I set up stinger and afterwards change vMix Master Frame Rate to something else and then back to original.
Longur  
#15 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2019 10:20:37 AM(UTC)
Longur

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have this exact problem, it works and doesn't seemingly at random. Below clips are from the same broadcast. I am using a png sequence.

Cutting too early - https://clips.twitch.tv/...udLightThymeTBCheesePull
What it should look like - https://clips.twitch.tv/...cernedBoringSwallowKAPOW