logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlanZ  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 7:24:49 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I am running desktop capture on two notebook computers. It appears that Desktop capture is version 15.

This is an attempt to work out a configuration for a two person woodturning demonstration done on site. I will be at a lathe, and my wife will be at a table nearby.

My main notebook is running vMix 16 and I am attempting to display a window from the second notebook (I will call that the remote computer, though it is actually only 10 feet away) that contains a live camera image. The remote computer is not a powerful machine, but it normally handles two Logitech webcams well (a c910 and a c920).

My overall configuration is two computers, with a total of 4 webcams (2 on my notebook, 2 on the remote machine... actually my wife demonstrating some detailed inkwork while my cameras are on my lathe). I will likely only use 2 cameras on my machine, and one of her two remote cameras via desktop capture.

The remote computer is running another video switcher program (in this case ManyCam 5) and I am attempting to grab its full screen output from the remote (preferably displayed on an extended monitor to avoid overlapping windows).

The problem is that when desktop capture is running AND the two computers are connected by wire (either with a crossover cable, computer to computer; or when both computers are connected to an Ethernet switch), any webcam on the remote computer's USB3 port, freezes, then continues then freezes then continues...

The odd thing is that when the two computers are connected over a wireless network, I don't get the freezing problem at all.

It doesn't matter which camera I put on the USB3 port, I always get the same issue when the two computers are using a wired connection.

Note that I have also tried this with vMix running on the remote computer, with the same symptoms, so it's apparently not a ManyCam issue.

Does this make sense to anyone that a wireless connection is more stable with Desktop Capture than a wired connection?
Is there a Desktop Capture 16? Version 15 gets installed along side of Vmix 16
(I think if you try to download Desktop Capture directly from the website, it might be sending version 14)

Your thoughts are appreciated.

ask  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:19:23 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
It sounds like an IP conflict. Please check that the machines are on the same sub-net and have different IP addresses. You also need to check that the gateway address is correct.
AlanZ  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:53:43 AM(UTC)
AlanZ

With the crossover cable, I manually assigned their addresses, and used the same sub net.
I think that the gateway was left blank.
When using a switch, I set the both to automatically assign ip addresses.

It could be that there is still something that I overlooked. I think I left the gateway blank.
Also keep in mind that this network does not need to connect externally to the internet.

Any further thoughts are appreciated.
AlanZ  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:01:45 AM(UTC)
AlanZ

I will also test disabling my antivirus entirely, see if that makes any difference. I had to turn off its firewall in order for the vmix to see the desktop Windows on the remote machine.