logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steadirob  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:26:25 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I had a very good Sunday, showing an un-expected client the possibilities from your software for keying and cgi matching.
They were very impressed with the speed and quality.

During this day I found several things that might be improved, in my opinion.

One major help would be if the program is able to remember the last opened adjustment menu for each input.
When adjusting things like border, key, position, etc, i often go back to re-adjust after closing the option frame. That option frame also closes by itself when selecting another input to adjust.
So when I click the "i" button, I would like to see the last option page that I used for that input. Now it always jumps back to "General".

This Memory option would also be very helpful with opening new files. At the moment I have to browse the whole computer to get to a folder that I use everytime for recording or storage of clips.

One option that I would use with chroma key is the feathering of the edges of the crop-borders of the sliders in the position menu, which I use to get rid of unwanted parts of the key-image.

This Feathering could also be helpful with the chroma key, combined with edge sharpening.

Another suggestion is a redesign that is much more intuitive then the current horizontal sliders in this Position box
Making the Y-axis controls vertical would help, together with a box ( in the full frame format) that would change its shape while adjusting.

And is there a way to adjust any slider by just hovering over it? I say this because many of the adjustments are small and a click+mouse movement is often too coarse. Now I use a mouse-click on the slider, then adjust with the scrollwheel, but when the adjustment would just be activated to the scrollwheel the moment I hover over it with the pointer it would speed up the process. And major changes can always be made with clicking and dragging.

And last ( for now) :is there a way to make in and outpoints for a clip? Often I need to play (and loop ) only a part of a recording.

Thanks for this great software.
At first I thought I would get away with the basic hd version but after this weekend with the full version trial I am sure I need all the bells and whisles!

Rob
Steadirob  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:39:36 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Hi Martin,

I downloaded the latest 8.0.8 version and the interface looks very nice. I like the VU meters added to each input.

There are a few things that can have some attention, in my opinion:

A) for the playback speed, I would prever a slider, maybe with some "notches" at certain fixed speeds, but otherwise from 5 to 400%, with the percentage visibly updated. At the moment the drop down scale is confusing, with 4x above 0,75x. It is not a linear scale.

B) in Position Tab, i noticed that only the CROP sliders do not update in the input frame.

C) Most editing programs use the space bar to start/stop a selected clip. it would be nice to make this similar on vMix

D) Personally, I would like to use the manual slider with other effects than only a fade, to be able to make a quick split screen. Is it possible to make a drop-down list for it? That way it would work like a wipe on a hardware mixer.

E) And then it would be nice if I could select other wipe effects too: top to bottom and reverse and right to left and reverse.

Greetings,

Rob
admin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:51:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Rob,

B) Could you describe further what you mean by this?

C) You can setup a shortcut to implement this functionality if you like.

D) In vMix 8 the manual slider is assigned to the effect of the first button, so click the array next to the button to select a different effect.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
Steadirob  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:33:04 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

When I press the i butten of an input, then go to Position and adjust the Zoom and Rotation sliders, i see the result instantly on that Input frame, as well as on the preview if selected or on the master output if active.
But the crop x-y sliders do not affect the input screen, only preview and master.
This was in version 6 and i believe in version 8 too, though I am not 100% sure. Tomorrow I will certainly test this on V8.

Re. the fade slider, I now understand this hidden functionality..... Amazing and clever.
Still, other effects and reversed effects are highly appreciated.

For now, my main work consists of "video assist" during commercial shootings with mainly Arri Alexa/ Red One/Epic and there in often not much automated work, mostly manual adjustments and record/ playback/ keying.
therefore the in/out point would be really useful to get rid of "overtime" in recordings.

Rob
Steadirob  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:33:33 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Solved, a re-install did the trick!

Thanks for the instructions, Martin.