logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobbyRose23  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 1:56:16 PM(UTC)
BobbyRose23

Groups: Registered

is it totally necessary for a Video capture card or box for now using youtube until I get vmix? I wanna use a basic sony or Canon camcorder...
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 7:30:09 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
BobbyRose23 wrote:
is it totally necessary for a Video capture card or box for now using youtube until I get vmix? I wanna use a basic sony or Canon camcorder...

Not sure I fully understand, if I'm assumed something incorrectly explain further about what you are doing.

However yes, you usually need a capture device to get the video from a Camera into a computer. In Real Time (or close to that).

There are many good ones around and I'd suggest you start on the VMix Hardware compatibility list (these are known to work). Some better than others depending on the situation.

Most cameras allow you to transfer footage via the way files (with USB), after you stop recording. There are exceptions, but not usually in basic camcorders. Some cameras can act as a capture device, but there are not many and usually they don't do a great job from what I've read.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 9:13:25 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ BobbyRose23

There are only a limited number of ways to get a 'live' video signal into a computer, a lot of which is dependent on the output you have from your source...
Older cameras and camcorders that only output via component video connections will require you to have some sort of capture device like a usb EZcap on the entry level side to an actual PCIe capture card like the Intensity Pro.
Some 'Pro-sumer' cameras from a generation ago, also output via 'Firewire' (which is a technology that is no longer installed in newer computers but PCIe cards can still be found if you look hard enough).
Many newer camcorders now use HDMI, but most computers are only equipped with an HDMI out port, not a capture port, so you will need a capture device of some sort for that (Intensity Shuttle as an example).
Higher end HD and 4K cameras will output via SDI, which again will require a capture device.
Web cams of course can be easily connected via USB and don't require a capture device.
Similarly, IP cameras can be captured over network connections and do not require a capture 'box'.
So, all in all, depending on your camera(s) and its/their output will determine what kind of "Capture" requirements you'll need, there is no "One" product that will meet everyone's needs but rather a plethora of options to help get the job done, it's just a matter of figuring out what will work best for you.

Hope that helps some.

Ice