logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madness  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2015 9:42:04 AM(UTC)
madness

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I have 4 presets currently that I had saved with various inputs. 4 of these inputs are webcams.
these webcams are the Logitech c920, 2 c270s, and a Microsoft Lifecam studio.

Last night when I opened these presets, Windows gave me the new BSOB with the :( face, and collected data, and rebooted. This occurred 3 times, with the first launch requesting me to activate my vMix install again. Not sure why this happened either, as I just got this resolved with the Xeon update recently. Now I am back to my account saying I have 3 activations. Nothing changed to my knowledge to require another activation unless windows update did it. If that's the case, that's going to be a problem.

If I opened vMix, and added these 4 inputs, it was fine, but I noticed that the HP HD2200 webcam I tried, did not show up as such, but instead, a Windows webcam. (Can't recall the exact name.)

Not exactly certain what is going on, but I can't have windows crashing like that.

Before I have to rebuild each preset from scratch and save it once again, I'm wondering if there is any debug data I can sent to you Martin to resolve this in future releases.

This occurred with both 16.0.0.65 and 16.0.0.68.

BTW, I like the new update downloader built into 16 now.
admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2015 10:55:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi,

Unfortunately blue screens are hardware and driver related and not something that would be fixable in vMix.
(Only drivers and faulty hardware can cause blue screens, application bugs cannot cause this)

Make sure the latest drivers are installed and run isolation tests, trying out devices one at a time until you find the culprit.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
madness  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 3:17:58 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Thanks Martin!
Windows must have broken something then in the latest updates, as it was working even immediately after the processor upgrade to the Xeon x5680.

I had already verified the cameras all worked, so it;s the misc inputs yet to check. My concern was that the HP 2200HD webcam name changed, and that was causing the problem. When creating a fresh input with the new existing name, I don't have an issue.
madness  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 7:34:38 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Getting closer...
The BSOD referenced dxgmm2.sys of which is apparently causing alot of trouble in more than just windows 10 after googling it.

'm updating the NVidia drivers to the latest currently, as I think Windows did a video driver update just prior to this problem.
madness  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:16:56 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

I'm not getting this resolved.
This file is unique to Windows 10 (dxgmms2.sys) so I would think that other windows 10 users would be seeing this as well.

What's funny is the fact that Windows 10 worked so well until this week when something obviously changed. This started a couple days after my processor upgrade.

Anyone be able to provide more info on what may be causing this file to crash windows???
madness  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 3:32:34 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Just an update on this.
All the windows 10 drivers, including the original drivers for the pre-release that originally worked with windows 10, and vMix, appear to be broken. Most all the windows 8/8.1 drivers seem to work, but Windows insists on upgrading to the latest broken drivers. I'm assuming this is actually a DX12 issue, as it was likely released about the time my issues arrived.

Is there a way to force vmix to run using DX11 to verify?

I have a new NVidia GTX 970 on it's way to replace my GTX 660, as I'm hoping to get better performance from vMix with the 970, but it obviously uses the same drivers as the 660, so I am not expecting this problem to go away, unless they 970 has better DX12 support.

If I can't get something to work and keep MS from returning it to a broken state, I'm going to roll back to Windows 8.1.
zmedia  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:31:20 PM(UTC)
zmedia

madness wrote:
Just an update on this.
All the windows 10 drivers, including the original drivers for the pre-release that originally worked with windows 10, and vMix, appear to be broken. Most all the windows 8/8.1 drivers seem to work, but Windows insists on upgrading to the latest broken drivers. I'm assuming this is actually a DX12 issue, as it was likely released about the time my issues arrived.

Is there a way to force vmix to run using DX11 to verify?

I have a new NVidia GTX 970 on it's way to replace my GTX 660, as I'm hoping to get better performance from vMix with the 970, but it obviously uses the same drivers as the 660, so I am not expecting this problem to go away, unless they 970 has better DX12 support.

If I can't get something to work and keep MS from returning it to a broken state, I'm going to roll back to Windows 8.1.

I think I may install a clean copy of Windows 8.1 then, kind of scary. Can anyone else comment on the stability of vMix within an updated Windows 10 environment? I see vMix recommends Windows 10...but that may be a premature recommendation on their behalf, I don't know. For mission critical, would anyone recommend 8.1 (as it is a mature OS at this point).

Maybe a Windows 10 Enterprise Edition might be the safer operating system for vMix going forward (as it restricts driver updates and allows user control).
jhebbel  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 9:29:16 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I run windows 10 on all my machines and it has been pretty stable for me, the recent update last week to 1511 has added further stability. As has been mentioned BSOD is typically driver related, so I would go through the device manager removing and uninstalling display/audio/LAN/chipset and let windows automatically re-install them. If the issue still persists after that there is a system refresh option in windows that since 8.1 has been pretty useful, give that a shot, its pretty much just like re-installing windows but without the need to create media and such.
madness  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:04:14 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Well surprise, surprise!
I installed the gtx 970, it automatically updated to the 11/5/2015 drivers, and it is working!
I can hardly believe it!

Perhaps it was a hardware compatibility issue with the 660 device.

I'm just glad it's finally working!
madness  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 7:44:42 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

That was short lived.
It runs longer, but still crashes with the same BSOD error. I need to get this figured out. I can't have this happening at an event.