logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 8:12:03 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Just wanted to share we recently bought an amimon connex wireless video device. It's used to send HD video from drones up to 1 km (line of sight) away. the video is uncompressed, it adds no visible delay (1ms). The device works on 5.8 ghz, and can be boosted with better antennas or range boosters.

We tested it twice last weekend with stock hardware:

- The first test was in a venue where video had to be sent to a different room on another floor. There were 3 concrete floors and 5 meters between transmitter and reciever. We used the connex via the external output of vmix over an intensity pro card. We had no problems at all :)

- The second test was on a boat, where we left more then 100 meter between the transmitter and the reciever. We had people walking in between the transmitter and the reciever and perfect quality all the time. Here we used an XHA1 with a component to hdmi converter. We tried to use a decklink mini monitor to input the hdmi into vmix, but it didn't recognise the hdmi signal. We then used an intensity pro card and had no more issues.

Next week we will test it on a range of up to 300 meter, I expect no trouble at all, since we will have line of sight all the time.

For other gigs we will pimp the device with new antenna's and 5.8 ghz range boosters, in order to pass LED walls and bigger crowds.

The device costs 1800 euro, this is a steal compared to Terradek or Paralinx products, who are also powered by amimon WHDI hardware, but cost up to 4-5 times more for a decent range. I think the price difference is due to the market for this device: drone and RC enthousiasts. This is a huge market compared to broadcast.

Compared to putting long cables, this is a huge time saver. It also allows to move the camera easily, without rewiring. It can even be used with battery packs on top of a shoulder cam to be used in crowds I think. We will test this for sure :)

It may be illegal in some countries to use this device, especially with range boosters, so check this before buying :)

waldron18  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:09:42 PM(UTC)
waldron18

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:
Just wanted to share we recently bought an amimon connex wireless video device. It's used to send HD video from drones up to 1 km (line of sight) away. the video is uncompressed, it adds no visible delay (1ms). The device works on 5.8 ghz, and can be boosted with better antennas or range boosters.

We tested it twice last weekend with stock hardware:

- The first test was in a venue where video had to be sent to a different room on another floor. There were 3 concrete floors and 5 meters between transmitter and reciever. We used the connex via the external output of vmix over an intensity pro card. We had no problems at all :)

- The second test was on a boat, where we left more then 100 meter between the transmitter and the reciever. We had people walking in between the transmitter and the reciever and perfect quality all the time. Here we used an XHA1 with a component to hdmi converter. We tried to use a decklink mini monitor to input the hdmi into vmix, but it didn't recognise the hdmi signal. We then used an intensity pro card and had no more issues.

Next week we will test it on a range of up to 300 meter, I expect no trouble at all, since we will have line of sight all the time.

For other gigs we will pimp the device with new antenna's and 5.8 ghz range boosters, in order to pass LED walls and bigger crowds.

The device costs 1800 euro, this is a steal compared to Terradek or Paralinx products, who are also powered by amimon WHDI hardware, but cost up to 4-5 times more for a decent range. I think the price difference is due to the market for this device: drone and RC enthousiasts. This is a huge market compared to broadcast.

Compared to putting long cables, this is a huge time saver. It also allows to move the camera easily, without rewiring. It can even be used with battery packs on top of a shoulder cam to be used in crowds I think. We will test this for sure :)

It may be illegal in some countries to use this device, especially with range boosters, so check this before buying :)

Great, thanks for the insight! Sounds like a great product. Do you know of any such devices that have SDI input into the transmitter? In this lower price range but with similar specs/reviews?
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:17:38 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

There are some SDI options, but not for the same price. Take a look at the paralinx and the terradek website to find those options. I wonder why you would need SDI anyway, if the distance between camera and transmitter are only maximum a meter or 2?
dark_ata  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:34:57 PM(UTC)
dark_ata

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
the problem is that the connex no have audio, only video.

sdi or hdmi > 300m >3500€/$ crystal video >5000-10000$> amimon http://www.globe-flight....g-live-Videotransmission or teradek/Paralinx
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:00:46 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

For us this is no problem, since we record audio from the PA system, or a mixer, or microphones and never use internal sound. If you want audio it might not be the best device indeed. There are wireless audio systems, but i doubt any of them will go this far :)
Kelvin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2015 9:32:46 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I have been looking for a cost effective long distance wireless HDMI solution. The others mentioned in this thread either exceed my budget or don't have the range. I ordered one of these today and should be able to test it this weekend. Hoping to get about 1500 ft range from a boat. No audio is not a problem for my purposes.
Kelvin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 5:49:31 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Initial tests indoors were positive except for the heat generated by the transmitter. It seems the fan on the transmitter is not working. I will be returning the unit for a replacement shortly.
Ittaidv  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2015 6:17:03 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Kelvin wrote:
Initial tests indoors were positive except for the heat generated by the transmitter. It seems the fan on the transmitter is not working. I will be returning the unit for a replacement shortly.

The fan on the transmitter is a little noisey, I guess indeed you better send it back, before your unit is destroyed :)

We just did a test today with RC batteries for the transmitter. It can run for at least 5-6 hours on a lippo battery of 11.1V, 5Amps. Tomorrow a bigger test on a big domain with 14k people around. I will post test results afterwards.
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 5:05:48 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

UserPostedImage

We did a long range test today, using a connex, connected to an xha1 with a component to hdmi converter. It was used to send various shots from different parts of a festival to a LED screen on a stage.

We wanted to be completely mobile, so we built a little backpack that included everything to do run and gun shots completely wireless.

We powered the connex from a lipo battery and the converter from an anker battery. All went well :) The connex transmitter can run easily up to 8 hours from a single 5 amps 11.1v lipo battery. The converter didn't even use a fifth of a 26 amp anker battery.

We went up to 400 meters away with line of sight, 100 meters with some tent blocking the LOS. No problems at all, except on long distance if the antenna's were not properly aimed at the reciever. We started to see some strange blocking then. We also had to move the antenna a little higher and away from a LED screen to get the best performance. But overall it was functioning very well.

We will now make a more 'pro' looking backpack, and add some higher gain antenna's. Once we have added some antenna's, we will test longer ranges. To be continued...
Kelvin  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:18:09 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Ran a quick test of the Amimon Connex wireless HDMI transmitter today. Successfully transmitted over 600m (which is the most I will need). Antenna placement could improve things in this video, but I am impressed with the product. This unit will be going back due do a malfunctioning cooling fan on the transmitter, but I will be getting a replacement. The waviness in the video is a problem with the camera, not the tranmitter.

thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 9/9/2015(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2015 5:59:58 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Cool, nice weather!
Thanks for sharing :)

I assume it is possible to disable the info row in the video.
Ittaidv  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:02:49 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Yep, there's an OSD button on the reciever end, where you can enable/disable it. We switch it on and off every time we move the camera to a new position, so we can see how strong the connection is.
Lzrd  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 4:03:36 PM(UTC)
Lzrd

There is coming DJI Lightbridge 2 at $1,399. But it's more for drones. HDMI, 1.2 Mile Range, SDI output on receiver, latency 50 milliseconds.
desmar  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:36:50 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Even cheaper solution that might work is an HDMI to IP Converter connected to 2 TP-Link CPE510.
The TP-Link work up to 17km apart.

1) Connect the transmitter to one TP-Link CPE 510 (Access point)
2) Connect the Receiver to the other TP-Link CPE 510 (Access point)

This way one TP-Link CPE510 acts as a receiver and the other acts a transmitter.
Haven't tried this yet, but looking to try it out soon once I purchase the equipment...

$159.95 + $79.95 + $79.95 so roughly $320.00 + tax here in Canada

HDMI to IP converter http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00UKEO32M
TPLink http://www.tplink.ca/en/...tails/cat-37_CPE510.html x 2
doyousee.me  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:31:26 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
have you ever tried that?
cause i don't think that'll ever work

bandwidth too small, wifi unriable by nature and high latency.

M@Ik
desmar  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:57:55 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Yes, you're right, you need a bandwidth of 2.25Gbps..
Oh well back to the drawing board..