logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lbgaus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:55:37 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Thanks for taking my question during the Q&A live Twitch session...

Can the audio meters be made a little more scientific with a dBFS legend? Right now, the audio meters are only colored boxes.
wwdv  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2015 1:48:55 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
+1

A VU meter as in Wirecast would be very nice.
But it needs of course a dB scale

UserPostedImage
pba  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:21:38 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I think audio meter is an old story... we need a better audiometer with legend, and with higher resolution. The little boxes drive me crazy, it's simple not a professional thing. There is many broadcast device and sw with good audio meter... these are good examples.
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:51:22 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Guys,

It would be helpful to know a bit about how you would like to use the audio meter in ways you can't at the moment.
What I am getting at is I would much prefer to solve the problems you are having with the audio meter rather than simply
upgrading it to something more flashy, but that doesn't actually help set audio levels any better.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Martin
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
pba on 10/15/2015(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:30:08 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Having started with Wirecast, I don't think its audio meters are superior to the ones in vMix. They have a different appearance but that doesn't mean better audio levels. Using audio with vMix is much more straight forward than Wirecast.
pba  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:01:38 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi Guys,

It would be helpful to know a bit about how you would like to use the audio meter in ways you can't at the moment.
What I am getting at is I would much prefer to solve the problems you are having with the audio meter rather than simply
upgrading it to something more flashy, but that doesn't actually help set audio levels any better.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Martin

Hello Martin,

thank you for the feedback!
First of all, Vmix is my favorite tool, I really like it. I dropped the Wirecast and bought Vmix licenses. Vmix is getting better and better. The ASIO support is great, the midi and NVENC support is also good feature (for me the Quicksync is a really missing thing, but this is another story).

I attached a picture about my ideal audio meter. I don't talk any special thing, like correlation meter. If you are in broadcast enviroment, you need the following things:

- good resolution about the audio level, not just some colored boxes, check out the attached picture,
- exact dB values next to the level meter,
- peak meter,
- and peak "LED".

Sometimes my audio engineer say: "I send you a mesuring signal, in my side this is -3dB, what about your side?". And I can't say anything, because in Vmix you don't know the exact audio level. Again, if you work only for the web audiences maybe it's okay. But in broadcast enviroment it's not okay.

So we need a more detailed audio meter. If it's will be a paid option is it okay for me, but I really need this. Check out the picture. :)

pba attached the following image(s):
audiometer_e.jpg (105kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked pba for this useful post.
ChuckRogers on 10/13/2020(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 4:16:37 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Please note that I am not an expert in audio, just trying to do my best to get decent levels in vMix. So far I think we've been doing OK, but also that we could do better. As well as more deeply figure out what is going on outside and inside vMix.

One major issue, that currently is unclear anyway in vMix, is the reference leve (0 dB). For an example of the complexity of this question, see http://geoffthegreygeek.com/understanding-decibels-part-2/

Add to that headroom recommendations, see for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headroom_(audio_signal_processing).

Then we have differences depending on how audio is coming into vMix. For examples via analog inpus (eg the motherboard's sound card), USB, ASIO, SDI/HDMI, etc.

We tend to use an external analog or digital audio mixer and feed its output to vMix via USB. That mixer board's analog line level out easily becomes too high for the PC's sound card have been discussed elsewehere. As a result the audio in to vMix becomes distorted even though the level is adjusted down in vMix's Audio Input (and/or main out).

What I am primarily wanting is something that would help us align the level of all incoming audio with the level received and shown by vMix's audio meter. For example, in the Behringer XR 18 we use each input's gain to adjust it relative to the input's and LR (output) 0 level. Like if a speaker talks normally into the microphone, the audio level is the same when are sliders are on the 0 level. But then it's difficult to make a similar adjustment in vMix, as there is no corresponding meter there.

Another thing is if we would like to use vMix's compressor, then we can't see how much and when the signal is attenuated when the compressor kicks in.

To sum up, we have and can survive as is. But more info on how vMix handle and display audio levels would be useful.

Thanks.
wwdv  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 12:13:29 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I am using this free 'Digital level meter' of Darkwooddesigns on top of vMix.

UserPostedImage

The master vu meter of vMix has some delay because it is monitoring the output of vMix and the audio is delayed to be in sync with the video.
The darkwood vu meters are realtime, for broadcasting church services and concerts a small delay is a bit annoying.

mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:03:44 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
wwdv wrote:
I am using this free 'Digital level meter' of Darkwooddesigns on top of vMix.

I've used this as well. They have both simple stereo meters and multi-channel meters. I've actually purchased licenses for both since they are very useful.

It's great to me able to meter multiple sources independent of vMix of Wirecast, even it does require more display space.