logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 2:47:23 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I did some tests and research to get my - reasonably priced - intel i7 laptops (HP pavilion dv7 - renesas USB3 chips) working on windows 10 again. Because of the dual graphics windows 10 was a mess (HP has a legacy of customer support): but I managed to get it working by installing new (older) adjusted AMD and Intel drivers: (see; www.leshcatlabs.net).

Anyway: windows 10 is working fine again: no delays and hang-ups. reinstalled BM shuttle drivers and Vmix16 (beta v58).

I use these laptops ( I have two similar) with a BM shuttle for mobile fast recordings of presentations: one camera input and wireless desktop capture of the powerpoint: set-up time 30 minutes and instant mixing - recording - publishing.

But with windows10 and now also Vmix 16 on the horizon - new drivers galore - I spend this weekend to test it all again: install win 10 install drivers - test - fail - reinstall - test again ...... and then do some Vmix recording tests. It has to be reliable and flawless. I don't want to embarrass my clients...

I have a choice in this notebook: use vmix with the HD3000 intel low energy GPU (only) or use the extra AMD Radeaon 6700 M GPU. it won't show up in Vmix GPU choise but I can see it kick in (AMD GPU monitor)

So I did some tests: run on the intel only and force the AMD.

I noticed that running on the Intel HD3000 GPU the input is stable (BM shuttle) but when I start to record: input becomes very erratic (see screenshots).

When I force the AMD GPU (through assigning vmix 64bit program to that GPU using the AMD graphic properties program energy management) the input becomes more stable (but CPU processing goes up a little bit.

it would be helpful to have some kind of dashboard to monitor the vital signs of Vmix - the only thing I can monitor now is the frame processing and the timing of the processed frames (25 frames per second = 40 ms and (in brackets) - the incoming frames - in my case interlaced so about 20ms). I always check this monitor to see if all is going well: 40 40 40 40 (20) is GOOD. But I don't know what is going on under the hood: where what is done (GPU distribution etc etc).

Anyway: I feel pretty confident I have migrated successfully to win 10 with these aging machines: and if they perform as desired they can be put into use and help me make some money.... But a good vital signs monitor for vmix testing and benchmarking is still high on my list.

greetings
Stefan

h2video.nl attached the following image(s):
recording_vmix_shuttle_input_dual_graphics.jpg (414kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
not_recording_vmix_shuttle_input.jpg (335kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
recording_vmix_shuttle_input.jpg (338kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 4:40:33 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
In addition: Windows 10 - Warning

in Windows 10 it is almost impossible to prevent automatic updates, also of third party drivers ... There is a special programme made by Microsoft where you can selectively prevent certain updates, but it is complicated. (just search: windows 10 prevent updates)

After carefully installing drivers for de Intel HD3000 and AMD - windows just reinstalled all updated drivers in the background, although I unchecked the update third party drivers in settings and in the hardware settings....

So just be aware of this. I presume this mostly will apply to (older) laptops with dual graphics or other systems with a variety of hardware drivers and settings.

greetings
Stefan