logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobbyRose23  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:35:35 PM(UTC)
BobbyRose23

Groups: Registered

I did not want to look to see if there was one, I did a search and a got some help but have a few more questions. I will be doing a live wrestling show once a month maybe a 3 hour show, how much data do you think I would need? I am debating which hotspot to get and if anyone has any experience with them?
Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:45:47 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
BobbyRose23 wrote:
I did not want to look to see if there was one, I did a search and a got some help but have a few more questions. I will be doing a live wrestling show once a month maybe a 3 hour show, how much data do you think I would need? I am debating which hotspot to get and if anyone has any experience with them?

This depends on a few factors:

- What quality do you plan to stream?
- Will you watch your own stream?

You can convert the desired Mbps to megabytes here: http://www.convert-me.co...fer_rate/dmegabitps.html

Multiply by 3600 to know how many megabytes per hour you will use.
Multiply again by 2 if you plan to watch your own stream over the same network.

One tip: don't use WIFI.

If you're talking about using a 3G/4G modem: don't do it unless you know for sure there's good coverage and you have acces to a good modem.
We had many troubles with LTE livestreams in the past and only use them when we really don't have anything else. We have an expensive Huawei Modem, not a stick, and it sometimes lets us down.

Before using an LTE modem, do a speedtest with a mobile phone on the same network. Then use an antenna locator app to determine where the nearest antenna is placed. Use an external directional antenna and point it towards the nearest mast, Line of sight (from the roof or something) is the best. This will give you the best results. But still, if there's many attendees on the event, you will be competing with them for LTE bandwidth, so it might happen that your connection goes down once the venue is filled up with people :)

What we use a lot now, is a Ubiquiti NanoStation M5. This will give you cable speeds via a wireless solution. If you know a spot with line of sight near the venue that has a good cable modem, this is defenitly the way to go :)
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
BobbyRose23 on 8/16/2015(UTC)
BobbyRose23  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:48:28 PM(UTC)
BobbyRose23

Ittaidv wrote:
BobbyRose23 wrote:

You can convert the desired Mbps to megabytes here: http://www.convert-me.co...fer_rate/dmegabitps.html

If you're talking about using a 3G/4G modem: don't do it unless you know for sure there's good coverage and you have acces to a good modem.
We had many troubles with LTE livestreams in the past and only use them when we really don't have anything else. We have an expensive Huawei Modem, not a stick, and it sometimes lets us down.

Before using an LTE modem, do a speedtest with a mobile phone on the same network. Then use an antenna locator app to determine where the nearest antenna is placed. Use an external directional antenna and point it towards the nearest mast, Line of sight (from the roof or something) is the best. This will give you the best results. But still, if there's many attendees on the event, you will be competing with them for LTE bandwidth, so it might happen that your connection goes down once the venue is filled up with people :)

What we use a lot now, is a Ubiquity Nanostation. This will give you cable speeds via a wireless solution. If you know a spot with line of sight near the venue that has a good cable modem, this is defenitly the way to go :)

Thank you very much for replying quickly, the only other thing I thought about was maybe recording and putting it up when I get home. I would like to have a live stream every once in a while.
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:50:30 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
BobbyRose23 wrote:
Ittaidv wrote:
BobbyRose23 wrote:

What we use a lot now, is a Ubiquity Nanostation. This will give you cable speeds via a wireless solution. If you know a spot with line of sight near the venue that has a good cable modem, this is defenitly the way to go :)

Thank you very much for replying quickly, the only other thing I thought about was maybe recording and putting it up when I get home. I would like to have a live stream every once in a while.

That's the safest solution :) People want the live experience though, if you can provide it, it would be better :)
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 12:38:22 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
BobbyRose23 wrote:

I plan for 20gb for an 8 hour event streaming and watching back etc.. You have to allow for all the unpredictable stuff that might happen like a download of a source video last minute the client now wants show. New drivers because laptop A died, so now you are on laptop B etc. So whatever you work out with bitrate etc.. Add a 30% buffer.

Using a mobile broadband connection can really come back to you ability to get 10mbit speed tests reliably in the location. External antennas can make a massive difference. My advise is test test test.. Move test move align test test test...

A 14db gain Aligned panel antenna has turned 5mbit peak unreliable flipping between 3 & 4g with no antenna into 30mbit plus for 8 or more hours.

Also use the best mobile carrier available.

Not all the venues I do work in have fibre connections but they are ideal if you have access to them. I used to use adsl2 etc but nowadays don't bother upload speed is too low for me. Bring another backup hotspot device from the second best carrier in the area too. I just have 2 of almost everything even if the 2nd thing was last years one still gets you out of trouble. Assume everything can and will fail and smile when nothing does.