logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gukis  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:21:45 PM(UTC)
Gukis

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

I've been testing different streaming software and found vMix the simplest and most convenient. There is a hardware issue though.

I use 1 camcoder, AverMedia Extremecap U3 capture card and an i3 or i5 laptop with built in graphics and hdd. It seems that this setup is only worth 480p streaming via youtube live. If I try 720p the CPU is 100% and the stream is not stable at all.

I guess the hardware is the problem. What would be the low budget solution to stream 720p at least (1080p would be better of course)?

Thanks.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 5:13:06 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Gukis

There are many variables and links in the chain to consider.

From the vMix side, GPU is important (higher end NVidia GeForce recommended).
From the Streaming side, CPU is important (fast i7 is best).
From the internet side, a reliable and consistent upload bitrate is required (in excess of 1MB of bandwidth preferred).

What do you consider to be 'low budget'?
An integrated graphics card is less desirable as it will impinge on CPU usage, so that moves you up a notch on the $ scale.
A lot of processing is required to encode a high frame rate HD signal so a better and faster CPU is desirable, that's up another notch $ wise.

As you've discovered, an i3 with integrated graphics will work to some extent, so it's difficult to ascertain what the 'bare minimum' is that someone requires for their 'broadcast', everyone's standards are somewhat different.
I would suggest looking through the "Supported Hardware" page here:

http://www.vmixhd.com/supported-hardware.aspx

and get the best you can afford to accomplish the streaming goals you have.

Hope that helps.

Ice

Speegs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 6:18:54 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Gukis wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been testing different streaming software and found vMix the simplest and most convenient. There is a hardware issue though.

I use 1 camcoder, AverMedia Extremecap U3 capture card and an i3 or i5 laptop with built in graphics and hdd. It seems that this setup is only worth 480p streaming via youtube live. If I try 720p the CPU is 100% and the stream is not stable at all.

I guess the hardware is the problem. What would be the low budget solution to stream 720p at least (1080p would be better of course)?

Thanks.

Use FFMPEG instead of FMLE (if you are not already doing so FFMPEG is the default in the most recent versions of Vmix). FFMPEG uses significantly less cpu than FMLE.

Dropping your frame rate to as low as you can get away with. There is usually no point running at 60fps unless you are capturing a gaming contest. So maybe 25fps would be best depending on your situation.

The other thing to look at is the capture device you are using. They are not all created equal. Some will do more on the capture device effectively leaving more CPU for you to use. Others rely on your CPU.

Always disable power saving facilities in the computer when trying to achieve the full potential of the computer.

Turn off any virus scanners or other background processes you can, they consume CPU.

Finally, use a better CPU. I certainly have streamed @ 720p from an Dual Core i3 cpu with a single camera without an issue. I think you can get 1080i out of that cpu with the capture device I use, but you may be running a cpu at about 60-80%. Generally speaking you will want to keep <50% cpu usage. The closer you get to full usage the more likely you are to start dropping frames and having issues.

You need to look at the CPU usage in VMix (which is ONLY what Vmix is using) and the CPU of the entire computer (through task manager or the cpu gadget). Some people get confused by that.