logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ogry  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 6:04:06 AM(UTC)
ogry

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I see that Wirecast and even Manycam has options to get video and audio from a smartphone connected to the same lan as the main computer.

Why not vMix?
thanks 1 user thanked ogry for this useful post.
Keveeee on 8/23/2015(UTC)
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:43:20 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I believe that there are apps the turn your smart phone camera into a surveillance camera. Any of these would send an RTMP stream to vMix. No real need for a dedicated vMix app.

Streaming over Wifi or 3G/4G can be unreliable. I certainly wouldn't pin my hopes on it for something that was critical to a production.

Also, in the case of Wirecast, the app is iOS-only. No Android version.

Finally, IMHO the video quality from a lot of smart phones leaves a lot to be desired.

Michael
Keveeee  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:33:40 PM(UTC)
Keveeee

ogry wrote:
I see that Wirecast and even Manycam has options to get video and audio from a smartphone connected to the same lan as the main computer.

Why not vMix?

I agree. I've used wirecast and that one feature alone made a lot of sense for adding options especially doing "on-location" projects. It was nice to have someone roaming around with the iPhone and be able to send back a shot within the crowd without any big production equipment. I've also messed around a little with ManyCam and the use of the Android option was handy. My iPhone 6 has a pretty dang good camera. In fact I have a couple iPhone 4s phones that have decent 720p resolution. It's nice to use them. I get quite a bit of B roll with those quite often. And the newer tablets have much better cameras as well. It's just really nice having the option as a backup if something isn't working, is broken, or left on the desk back at the office.
Seems like it wouldn't be that much of a hurdle to get it done. With so many features on Vmix I was actually rather shocked that they have dismissed this one.

Keveeee
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2015 10:38:25 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Fellow vMixer George Price did it with Skype recently:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=4974

So the possibilities are already there.

Ice
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:51:00 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
problem is skype will be connected to the internet (often over 4 g or wifi) first, and needs to be downloaded by vmix again, wasting a lot of internet bandwidth . If I understand this well, the native option would pick it up from the wifi network, which should be faster and more reliable.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:18:34 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
+1

I think the point here is to get a direct connection from the camera to vMix (not going over another system, eg Skype).

For that vMix needs to act as a streaming server (for the camera). Which I think is the same underlying issue for the Feature request for vMix across networks.

An alternative is to mirror the smartphone to a Chromecast/Apple TV. Which, besides needing extra hardware (and video input cards), also is slightly problematic regarding HDCP (copyright protection).

An increasing number of video switchers are based on using smartphones/tablets as cameras, sending their feed over the WiFi spectrum, to an app in the switcher (smartphone/tablet). For example Recolive and Teradek's Live-Air. AFAIK these are based on vendor proprietary protocols to transmit video over WiFi with virtually no lag. Although I think some of these protocols can be licensed.