logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
geniusweb  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 2:41:05 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello, I would like to ask you if the following laptop is ok to have 4 camera inputs and 2 outputs. Input will be 1x thunderbolt via BM minirecorder, 2x USB3.0 Magewell and 1x Terade Cube via Wifi. Output will go via HDMI to Teradek Bond II and to second monitor via Displayport (second output is not neccessarry).

Laptop: ASUS ZENBOOK UX501JW-FJ153P (Nvidia Geforce 960mm 2GB).

Thank you.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 11:33:19 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ geniusweb

Not sure I understand your question fully.
The laptop itself is a pretty high end unit and should be able to handle what you intend to throw at it.
Your I/O selections and options are a little unclear to me, are those the 'tools' you have available and are wondering if they will work, or do you intend to acquire them for this set-up?

I am not sure if the mini Displayport and HDMI interfaces 'Output' simultaneously or not, or if they will give you the quality you need from vMix's "Fullscreen" feature, if that is what you are asking???

With having a Thunderbolt port, I would explore using an expansion box to maybe provide more I/O options if it is within your budget.

Ice
geniusweb  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 11:43:18 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Ok, forget about it. The most important question is if Quadro K2100M (2gb) and also K1100m (1gb) is good graphic card enough to have 3 or 4 hd inputs and one external output from vmix?

Or do I need to have geforce gtx only?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 1:00:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ geniusweb

I won't pretend to know the technical differences, the Quadro line of cards are a great line of "professional" graphics cards but are typically more expensive and not designed for great 'gaming'.
To the best of my knowledge, vMix takes advantage of a GPU's gaming technology to process video.
With that in mind, you will probably get more "bang for your buck" with the GEForce product line.
Perhaps someone from NVidia and/or vMix admin can chime in as to the 'better' option, but I would lean towards what has been tested proven in the field.

http://www.vmixhd.com/supported-hardware.aspx

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
geniusweb on 7/18/2015(UTC)
geniusweb  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 1:45:31 PM(UTC)
geniusweb

Yeah, asked nVidia already, they said to ask producer of software, so I am asking you. I have to choose right product(laptop) so I think vMix should know if quadro is good enough or not. On page you provided there is no such information, just geforce and intel cards are mentioned. I am bit stacked, because nobody knows if notebook for which I paid 2000 Eur would be good enough or not. Thank you for finding the answer for me.
Kelvin  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 2:51:04 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I had similar questions as you and decided on the GTX over the Quadro. I was hoping to get some insight from the forum, but it never came. I based my decision on the following discussion on the Thunder Systems:

http://www.vmixhd.com/th...er-Performance-Guide.pdf

"Performance Considerations

Thunderbolt

Using a laptop platform for true HD-based live switching/production is now possible with the vMix Thunder with a few
issues for maximum performance and usability. The first is the Thunderbolt connection. Thunderbolt currently ships in
two versions, the original Thunderbolt (v1), which provides up to 10Gbps throughput and the newer version 2, which
operates at 20Gbps. By way of comparison, USB3.0 is only 5Gbps. The extended bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2 allows
daisy chaining additional devices like G-Tech storage devices for ISO recording individual HD video inputs. A future
Thunderbolt version will again double the bandwidth and provide even more options such as increasing the number
of inputs.

Performance

vMix uses the graphics card processor (GPU) for graphics related tasks such as chroma-key, overlays and titling. The
best vMix performance is obtained using Nvidia Geforce graphics technology. Current compatible models with Ge
- force graphics are Asus and Sager Thunderbolt v1 models. The benefit is higher performance at the cost of limited
additional connectivity with external storage, displays, etc.
Quadro-based units require configuration to get acceptable performance while providing higher Thunderbolt bandwidth."

Hope this helps.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
geniusweb  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 2:58:44 PM(UTC)
geniusweb

Thank you guys, thank you Kevin. So you choosed Gtx, did you buy Asus laptop? And is it enough or you?I won't use atem switcher, I would like to connect 2 cameras over usb3, one over thunderbolt and one via wifi (teradek cube).
geniusweb  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 3:13:10 PM(UTC)
geniusweb

Btw, is it possible to run mentioned setup on laptop's battery for 3 hours?
Kelvin  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 3:33:35 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I purchased an Asus G751JY-DH71 laptop with a GTX-980 card. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on actual performance. I have a Magewell 4 channel HD-SDI PCI-e card I plan to put in a Thunderbolt expansion box. I should be able to do some testing with the system next week.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
geniusweb  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 3:38:59 PM(UTC)
geniusweb

Oh, perfect, I am looking forward on your impressions. I am thinking about msi ws60 r Hp Zbook G2, both 15.6'. If you connect it via Magewell via one thunderbolt, then you won't be able to switch between cameras in vmix, isn't it?
r@wisla  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2015 4:45:39 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
geniusweb wrote:
If you connect it via Magewell via one thunderbolt, then you won't be able to switch between cameras in vmix, isn't it?

It doesn't matter it's one thunderbolt.

This one thunderbolt is "converted" to a PCI-express slot with the thunderbolt <-> PCI-express expansion box. He will be able to use the Magewell PCI-express 4 channel HD-SDI card like normal PC.

He will see if this laptop he mentioned is powerfull enough. Probably not with every vMix profile, but it should work fine in many scenarios.

BTW, few years ago I tested quite similar setup, but SD. I used express-card port (up to 20 times slower then thunderbolt), express-card to pci-express expansion box and 4 channel SD Osprey card. It worked quite well.
thanks 1 user thanked r@wisla for this useful post.
geniusweb  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 5:54:14 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Guys, do you think it really matters if I would buy GTX 2GB or GTX 4GB?

If I bought 15.6' laptop, I would have only two choices (with GTX nvidia):

Asus ROG G501JW-DS71 - with 4GB GPU - however this version is not sold in my country, so I would have to order it from US - in case of issues there will be problem with sending it back to the shop
Asus UX501JW - with 2 GB GPU - this I can buy directly in my country

Both laptops have same parameters except GPU (both have GTX 960M, but different memory) and UX501JW has glossy touch display - I know, this is not good to have glossy display when you need to work with video (switch etc...) when sun is shining, however I can buy a cheap foil and attach it to display to fix it.

So only real difference is in memory.

Thank you.
IceStream  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 2:16:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ geniusweb

I feel your dilemma, but let me ask you this, what do you have right now and are testing and/or using vMix with?
And secondly, what do you hope to accomplish and/or do with vMix?
Everyone's needs are slightly different and knowing more about your specifics will help others to offer advice.
Experiential knowledge is much more valuable when it comes to such decisions, however, a lot of the questions you are asking are dealing with higher end, cutting edge hardware that will likely be more than adequate for use with vMix and is probably better than 75% or 80% of current users, so you are not likely to get a definitive answer as to what it is you should get.
If you are using vMix in the field, you'll have a much better appreciation for the differences between what you need and what you want.
If you are starting from scratch, it's easy to have wonderlust and get way ahead of yourself.
If price is a major factor, as it is with most of us, you'll want to get the best bang for your buck, which sometimes means compromising on wants vs needs.
In the end, buying what you need within budgetary ability will never be a wrong decision, but therein lies the question, what exactly is it that you need?

Ice
CharlieByte  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 9:50:01 PM(UTC)
CharlieByte

Go out and buy the Asus UX501JW.

I have many systems with vMix with older video cards (570, 680) and some with new video cards (960, 970) and all have different video memory capacity (1 Gb, 2 GB, 3 GB)(all have i7 processor). And all work very well with vMix. Watch this:

The video memory is mainly used for storing bitmap textures for games. Very little memory is used for storing video frame buffer.

The most important thing IS thunderbolt. The bandwidth of USB 3 is big but not big enough for use many Magewell video capture box at the same time (I have some of them)

I have a Magma thunderbolt enclosure with PCIe capture cards (Blackmagic SDI, Magewell SDI & DVI/VGA/HDMI), and an Asus G751JY-DH71 (wich is thunderbolt 1) and works very well.

In the past i used to have 3 or more video outputs (1024x768 & 1280x720) with video cards with only 1 Gb of vram (Now I can output up to 9 HD outputs *1280x720* and 1 Full HD output for monitor with the 3 Gb GTX 970)
geniusweb  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 9:15:07 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Hey Kelvin, what about your testing?