logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mimbar  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 3:34:34 AM(UTC)
mimbar

Groups: Registered

is it possible to make 2 output with extended split display?
this is the topology
UserPostedImage

*infocus = projectors

for this time i can only make the projector duplicate (using vga splitter)

anyone can help?

ps: the input can from Videos, Powerpoint, or Video Cam
Len56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:47:45 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Yes it can be done I have a HDMI 1 in 4 out splitter, you come out of your PC's HDMI output of your graphics card into the HDMI splitter and then you can connect 4 HDMI monitors or projectors.
Woombi  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 11:21:01 AM(UTC)
Woombi

I'm also interested in this .

As far as i know , you can't do it .

vMix seems to support only one final output in standard resolutions.

This is why I asked about a 3840x1080 resolution output but nobody answered.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 11:46:05 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mimbar

I am not so sure an HDMI 1 in x 4 out will do what you need it to do. (Someone correct me if I am wrong)
You will likely need additional hardware like a Matrox Multi-monitor Adapter for best results:

http://www.matrox.com/gr...cts/gxm/digital_signage/

However, you may be able to do something similar depending on your Graphics card:

http://www.nvidia.com/ob...surround-technology.html
http://www.amd.com/en-us...on/firepro-display-wall#

although, I am unfamiliar with how to set that up or how possible it is.

Ice

Woombi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 12:43:55 PM(UTC)
Woombi

I don't think the issue here is to have MULTIPLE DISPLAYS but to have an EXTENDED or DOUBLE (and synchronized) OUTPUT.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:31:47 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Woombi

As I understand it, mimbar wants a single output spread out over 2 screens, as you get on signage displays or video walls, essentially dividing and reassembling the output across multiple displays creating a larger single screen. To do this, the image needs to be processed and distributed 'post' output from vMix, and likely a hardware solution like the above mentioned Matrox "DualHead2Go" might be one of the best solutions.
I suppose, theoretically, you could accomplish this with software using something like VLC's video wall effect and somehow capture and output each window to one of vMix 4K's (or vMix Pro) two outputs, but it's probably not the best way to do it.

Ice
Woombi  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:00:45 PM(UTC)
Woombi

Yes I got that too and I totally agree with the matrox card solution , but what would be the resolution of the output (out of vMix) you would distribute on the two displays ?

IceStream  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 3:21:18 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Woombi

I'm not 100% sure how these things are configured, but my guess is that there would be multiple options available depending on the source resolution you are working with and the destination aspect ratio you are dealing with, the simplest being a 'zoomed' or 'exploded' image to fit the new sized screen (i.e. in this case a 1920x1080 source image spread over two 16x9 screens would be cropped off at the top and bottom and essentially have a visible area of 1920x540 pixels or 32x9 aspect ratio, which you would have to account for in your set-up).
Again, I don't know as I have never done it, just an educated guess.

Ice
Woombi  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:51:46 PM(UTC)
Woombi

Thank you IceStream for taking the time to answer .

I've already thought of a zoomed/anamorphic 1920x1080 output that would be stretched to 2 displays (even within vMix Fullscreen settings) but the loss in quality is not acceptable.

The best existing solution I've come across for a 2 screens/projectors display (side by side or vertically) would be to output a 3840x2160 image and outblack the half part you wouldn't use. (more or less what you said : 32/9 aspect ratio but with a higher resolution)

Downside is that this only comes with the 4K version and still would use more resources than needed.

I was hoping for a solution to be able to have an extended single output (maybe combined with the external output) with a custom resolution/aspect ratio , in this case 3840x1080 or 1920x2160

I guess that's a version of vMix that does not exists...
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:38:05 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Woombi

You may be venturing into slightly 'uncharted' territory and either way, likely requires more expensive hardware and software to handle the higher resolutions.
Probably best to contact an aforementioned hardware manufacturer to get the low down on what is and isn't possible, but the bottom line is, you cannot 'add' pixels or detail to a fixed sized image, you can always 'down convert' but 'up converting' will never "improve" the original image.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
Woombi on 7/1/2015(UTC)
Woombi  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 6:00:23 PM(UTC)
Woombi

@Ice

I'm using 3D and CGI so I can render to the resolution I need . my problem is to output that same resolution :)

I'm aware that vMix is not intended for my use (stand alone video installations) but it's the only solution that I've come across to play seamless looped videos and playlists , to have playlists with seamless transitions and effects. I basically use it as a player. Also the web interface is great.

I will totally use it for single display configurations , the problem is when it comes to 2 displays.

I can live with a single output as long as it can be any resolution.

VLC or MPC-HC can play any resolutions but are terrible when it comes to seamless transitions and loops.

The other solutions that I've found are VJing softwares that are way too complicated and expensive for my purpose and are also intended for live performance.

If not vMix, it could be a different and much simpler software : vPlayer ! :)

Thank you again for your answers.