logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tfmeier  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 4:10:57 AM(UTC)
tfmeier

Groups: Registered

For an 80s party I have collected a huge number of music videos. Now I believe to have two options to get these on screen without having to be behind the screen for the whole night:
1. Create a playlist; or
2. Create a list

One particular aspect is the ability to select specific videos if requested. So normal operation via the automatic list but select a specific video if requested

Of particular importance is the ability to have nice transitions like the CubeZoom. This is easily done via the playlist.

I have not been able to get this going on the list feature. Thought I should be able to use the Trigger feature on a particular input and then for instance the OnCompletion trigger to select a particular transition. Have not been able to get this to work (it has worked if I select a single video via Input | Video) and then configure a trigger.

Two questions:
1. Do you think the most appropriate way to implement this is via the List feature?
2. If yes, does anyone have experience with transitions in the List feature?

Thanks for your help - pretty excited to be using vMix for this :)

IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2015 11:35:23 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tfmeier

Either option has 'Pros' and 'Cons' but neither will give you exactly what you are hoping for at this point in time.
The "Master" transition is not configurable for either (at least to the best of my knowledge, how are you able to get 'nice' transitions with the "Playlist" feature, mine only "cuts" to next video unless you set-up a transition of choice for each input?).
The "Triggers" feature does not work with the "List" input (my guess is that, like a "Camera" input, there is no end point to demark an "On Completion" action, even though the videos themselves have end points, the "Input" itself has none). Perhaps a feature request can be made to change this although I do not know how possible it is.
The "PlayList" feature does allow for the "Triggers" feature to work for each individual video since that is how it works (automating the switching selection of available inputs) but each "Input" needs to have it's own Trigger set up and that can take a while to do and possibly get you into trouble and/or off "Automation" if not done properly
Personally, I like the "List" input for 'automation' as I am more familiar with it and can "edit" on the fly a little quicker for selecting the next video(s) to play but the "PlayList" might give you more versatility once you become familiar with it's interface and have the time to set-up individual "Triggers" and/or desired transitions for each input.

Ice
tfmeier  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 8:55:50 AM(UTC)
tfmeier

@icestream, you can create specific transitions per video in the playlist by simply double-clicking every list entry. The default is "cut" I believe but transition and duration (and others) can be changed in the pop up following double-click; no triggers needed.

Only came to triggers as this wasn't available in the list feature but what you say abt triggers makes sense in list.

So if I understand the current features it looks like I need to use the playlist unless I sit in front of the computer, have two identical lists and create transitions by using the preview/main output windows
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 10:29:28 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tfmeier

If different "Transitions" are a 'must' for you, then yes, the "PlayList" feature is the best option for you, although it will require a considerable amount of time to set-up as you will have to add each video as an "Input" and then set-up your playlist and transitions accordingly.
The other thing to keep in mind with the "PlayList" is that modifications to "Transitions", additions or deletions cannot be made while it is active, so whatever "on-the-fly" changes you need to make of that nature will require you to stop and start the "PlayList" accordingly (but that shouldn't really come up if you've 'pre-programmed' all your videos and "Transitions" during set-up). Moving selections up or down the list is about all you can do while active.
That is one of the advantages of the "List" input, you can easily add a whole folder of videos to the list and "edit on the fly" if need be, however, you only have the default cut "Transition" between videos.
Having multiple "List" inputs could be advantageous, but for other reasons, 'Jockeying' back and forth between them is not really practical for every video and kind of defeats the purpose of "Automation".
In the end, it's your call as to what suits your needs best, but I would experiment with both options and set-up a couple of trial runs to get a feel for potential issues with either option.
You may end up with combination of both to cover all your bases...

Ice