logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davebrandt  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:26:19 AM(UTC)
davebrandt

Groups: Registered

Hi,

Hopefully somebody here can help me with a tricky problem.

I have an issue where when I press a shortcut key to advance to the next picture in the list there is a delay in execution. It varies from instant to the longest delay I have experienced of about 6 seconds.
I have also noticed that sometimes the video freezes for a few frames and then the picture advances. Sometimes the UI freezes aswell and then jerks back once the picture is advanced. I have noticed this on every gig that I do with this particular preset. I have rebuilt the preset from scratch but it has made no difference.

The delay gets worse the longer I am in Vmix. This particular session is about 3 hours long every time, but last time I wasn't able to shut down between the morning and afternoon sessions so it ran from 8am to 6pm and the responsiveness issue was the worst I have yet encountered.

There is a simple fade effect on the pictures list, but I have also disabled this and changed to cut but there was no difference.

The pictures are stored on an SSD so drive access shouldn't be a problem

All virus , updates, etc disabled

My setup is as follows

Project settings 1080i50

2 x sdi camera to black magic sdi duo
1 x Audio in Alesis io2
1 x projector connected to graphics card hdmi
1 x external hdmi feed from black magic intensity pro

Vmix inputs are:

1 camera 1
2 Camera 2
3 news ticker title preset
4 Text Title preset
5 combination of 3&4 (News ticker and text)
6 overlay graphics (PNG) (this one is causing delay)
7 Overlay Graphics (PNG) (This one is also causing delay) (This output goes to the in-house projector only) (with ticker and title virtual input on overlay)
8 pictures for holding slideshow on loop

I have the PNGs assigned to overlay 1
and the text combo to overlay 2

It is when I advance either of the overlay PNGs that i Experience the issue. I have tried various flavours of PNG but no change. They are exported from after effects.

PC Specs

custom built intel 5770k i7
32GB 1333 MHZ RAM
Geforce gtx570 3GB RAM
OS on SSD Crucial M4
4 x hard drives for recording 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 3

1x BM Intensity Pro
1 x BM SDI DUO
1x BM Mini Recorder

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them, Its a difficult one to reproduce as the system needs to be running for a while before the behaviour exhibits itself, but I have done this gig now about 12 times and it always has the same issues. I used to have a keyboard shortcut assigned to cut cameras and advance graphics and take the titles off the overlay in one keystroke but it was no better. Everything halted for a random number of seconds before advance. Now i anticipate the delay and press the keyboard shortcut a few seconds before I need the action. Its roughly workable but not ideal. The client commented on it the last time and I would like to avoid this embarrassment in the future.

Thanks in advance

Dave Brandt
BrandtStudios.ie

IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:19:52 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ davebrandt

Windows 7 or Windows 8?
Streaming & Recording?
Have you run 'Task Manager' simultaneously to monitor 'Processes' and 'Performance'? (It may provide a clue as to what is going on the CPU side)
Have you run a stress test on your gtx570? (It may be faltering as it heats up over time, you can test with 'FurMark' http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/)

It is certainly frustrating when "things" don't function as expected and computers become 'sluggish' for no apparent reason.
Your specs look pretty good, but even the best components can 'complain' after extended usage.

Ice
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:02:28 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4170 time(s) in 1498 post(s)
Hi Dave,

One thing I would also suggest is placing the PNG files on a different drive, preferably the SSD
if they are not there already.

When using a Photos list, the images are loaded from disk each time they are changed, so it may be there
is a disk loading issue after the system has been running along time.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
davebrandt  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 1:12:06 PM(UTC)
davebrandt

Thanks Guys

@IceStream,
It is windows 7.

I have run the task manager but nothing out of the ordinary there. I will try the FurMark at a later date although I wold imagine it is not the graphics card as the video usually keeps tipping away without missing a beat.

I am recording, streaming and External, but I use Vmix for plenty of sessions just like this without ever going over about 10% CPU (Without such involved graphics)

@admin, Martin, the photos are already on the SSD which benchmarks at 230MB/s read, this was my first suspect. It is connected to a SATA 3 bus, This should be plenty fast enough. The photos are about 1 MB each and last Fridays gig had 64 of them for the first session, worst lag was about 6 seconds.

At first I thought it may be because I also had a photo list in loop mode which provided the slideshow at intervals, I disabled the loop on this though and it didn't solve the problem. I can't get rid of this input completely as it is needed at certain times during the show.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks

Dave
BrandtStudios.ie