logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darp  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 9:48:39 PM(UTC)
darp

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

First our situation, equipment, needs:

I am news oriented format, so in studio greenscreen or street interviews, no sports stuff that requires long length SDI. 2 Cams will do it most of time but maybe 3 needed other times.

Have a bias towards software over hardware and digital over analog.

For live broadcasts am limited to 854x480 at about 2.7mbps. Have Win7 i7 with 16gigs ram. And of course vMix.

Existing current camera equipment:

1. HY-DV500 highend JVC MiniDV camera with composite, component and firewire 1394 output that is about 12 years old. One advantage of this is looks like pro cam for interviews, even if not connected ;-)

2. GL-1 Canon much smaller but similar to above Panasonic in age and miniDv format.

3. Logitech c920 HD USB cam.

5. low quality but good for testing 2nd USB cam, Microsoft Lifecam USB.

6. Canon Vixia with HDMI output.

7. mostly broken Sony hi8 v701 cam with 75% or so image, but use for testing whether composite signal gets thru to PC.

In vMix have been able to setup with no PC capture boards both USB cams and one composite output from the Sony Hi8 thru a Dazzle Composite to USB cabled converter. All three cams live, no problem at all thru 3 USB ports and switching in vMix.

If I could get good quality out of the MiniDVs thru Dazzle, that would be nice, but its 720x480 max for Dazzle. Anyone getting 16x9 out of old MiniDVs? As in 854x480?

For two cam shots maybe the Logitech USB and the Vixia using HDMI out converted to USB in to PC. Has anyone done that? Currently have no HDMI in for PC.

Has anyone had success with using older miniDV cams and using composite or firewire to get it into vMix without hardware? I have another XP CoreDuo PC which does have firewire in.

Most interested in what has worked for others.

Cheers

An update, it seems 3 port 1394 firewire boards are rated highly, are dirt cheap and seem to connect to MiniDV cams http://www.amazon.com/St...RID=0BDWNWGJW6AR5JG0ZH5D

It seems too good to be true, but could 3 cams be connected to vMix with one of these boards? Anyone do it?

IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 11:51:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ darp

My experience with 16:9 aspect ratio with MiniDV is basically a cropping off of the top and bottom of the original 4:3 image.
You will still have to "magnify" or zoom the image to ~ 1.345 (which will degrade the image a little).
1394 Firewire generally works well but usually adds close to 1/2 a second of delay (you may also have to use 'legacy' drivers to recognize some cameras).
I would not recommend using multiple ports off of one card (it will work if the cameras are from different manufacturers but it is not stable and bandwidth allocation quickly becomes an issue).
The XP CoreDuo may work but will likely not be "up to snuff" spec wise and performance will suffer, and of course, the platform is no longer supported so any issues will leave you dead in the water.
All-in-all, you don't have much to lose by trying different things of this nature to see if they will work for you. You may be pleasantly surprised, but then again, as the old adage says: "you get what you pay for", so expectations should follow suit.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
darp on 6/9/2015(UTC)
darp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:43:13 PM(UTC)
darp

IceStream wrote:
@ darp

My experience with 16:9 aspect ratio with MiniDV is basically a cropping off of the top and bottom of the original 4:3 image.
You will still have to "magnify" or zoom the image to ~ 1.345 (which will degrade the image a little).
1394 Firewire generally works well but usually adds close to 1/2 a second of delay (you may also have to use 'legacy' drivers to recognize some cameras).
I would not recommend using multiple ports off of one card (it will work if the cameras are from different manufacturers but it is not stable and bandwidth allocation quickly becomes an issue).
The XP CoreDuo may work but will likely not be "up to snuff" spec wise and performance will suffer, and of course, the platform is no longer supported so any issues will leave you dead in the water.
All-in-all, you don't have much to lose by trying different things of this nature to see if they will work for you. You may be pleasantly surprised, but then again, as the old adage says: "you get what you pay for", so expectations should follow suit.

Ice

Ice, thanks for info!

On the Core duo issue, that is off table after finding the super cheap 3 port 1394 firewire boards for PCs and they make same to push into win laptop ports. Have not verified yet that they actually will let you see 3 Firewire cams at same time, but these cheap boards get mostly 5 star ratings on Amazon and sell like hotcakes, so am guessing they will do it. So it would be i7 Win7 with firewire boards, if do it.

On aspect ratio, its something so many are dealing with. If shooting new, your suggestion makes sense (frame work planning to cut off top and bottom. If its old 640x480 material there is no really good solution. But then there is 720x480. Am trying to figure that one out.

MiniDv and DVDs tends towards 720x480 The impressive looking DY-DV500 camera specs say it is capable of 750x500. In studying the 720x480 issue found this on dvinfo.net:

http://www.dvinfo.net/fo.../index.php/t-504163.html Note widescreen is often referred to as Anamorphic.

Anamorphic has a very specific meaning, and doesn't universally apply to widescreen.

Standard definition video is always 720x480 in NTSC, but actually displays as 640x480. So the pixels are not square -- they are slightly taller than they are wide, to make 720 fit into a 640 display. If, on the other hand, the pixels are described as much wider than they are tall ... you create an anamorphic view, and you get a widescreen result. This is typically used on a widescreen release of a DVD -- the image is encoded as 720x480, as it must be, but if viewed in a 640x480 screen (a traditional standard definition screen) you will see a 'squished' view where everyone is tall and skinny. The proper view for a 720x480 anamorphic widescreen is on a 16:9 screen -- an HD TV -- where the pixels are spread wider so the resulting display fills a widescreen and everyone looks 'correct' or perhaps there are black letterbox bars added top and bottom to a traditional 4:3 standard definition display; again, everyone looks correct.

When you are working with SD material, such as DV filmed material, you will encounter the anamorphic flag to make the display corrections cited above. You don't see the anamorphic flag in HD material, as the pixels are always square, and the display is always 16:9

Clear as mud? Cheers,GB

SO? 720x480 is possible in MiniDVs with firewires. So can I shoot in 720x480 and then air it appearing to be 854x480 (going anamorphic)? Also 720x480 would not look terrible on 16x9 screen with right and left cut off.

I have a bunch of 2000 or so era documentaries have rights to on MiniDV, so being able to import them to my i7 makes it worthwhile to try one of these cheap firewire boards people seem to love, so will get one. The concept still do not have my head around is how to deal with old and new 720x480 video. Can it be shown on normal 16x9 screens using all of the screen without distortion using rectangular pixels? If so that would be a great solution. Ice or anyone else, is that really the case? Can 720x480 be shown distortion free on 16x9 screens without throwing away pixels?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:11:21 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ darp

Don't get too hung up on the aspect ratios of MiniDV or SD, it is what it is, typically, my MiniDV cameras are captured through Firewire and default to 720x576. vMix will scale it appropriately (720x480) to fit my "Output" resolution (which I tend to favour 1280x720).

"Source" or "Normal" Aspect Ratio in vMix will give the standard black bars on each side of the image but will be the proper display.
"Widescreen" Aspect Ratio will stretch the image to fit the 16x9 frame and so is slightly distorted.
"Anamorphic" Aspect Ratio will stretch the width and compress the height giving black bars at the top and bottom which is even more distorted.

You are best to experiment to see what works best for you.
My solution has been to use the source image and fill in the black bars with an info graphic and/or ads as this image illustrates:

UserPostedImage

I would think that with a "News" oriented format, this can work out well for you as it is common practice for 24 hour news stations to fill the screen with multiple items from wire feeds to the weather graphic forecast all playing simultaneously on the 16x9 screen.

Ice
darp on 6/10/2015(UTC)
Bardos  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 9:55:09 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups:
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I use standard cams, but in my case, they can shoot "letterbox", so what I do, use SD, set the settings for SD 16x9, go into the input settings, and adjust the position to fill the area....did it while experimenting, and dispite the fact that there is a little grain in low light scenes, the quality is still good, and it works for me.....actually I was asked if my cameras are HD.....just because most people see HD as 16x9, not realizing that there is also SD 16x9 (letterbox) settings.....
thanks 1 user thanked Bardos for this useful post.
darp on 6/10/2015(UTC)
darp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:14:31 AM(UTC)
darp

IceStream wrote:
@ darp

Don't get too hung up on the aspect ratios of MiniDV or SD, it is what it is, typically, my MiniDV cameras are captured through Firewire and default to 720x576. vMix will scale it appropriately (720x480) to fit my "Output" resolution (which I tend to favour 1280x720).

"Source" or "Normal" Aspect Ratio in vMix will give the standard black bars on each side of the image but will be the proper display.
"Widescreen" Aspect Ratio will stretch the image to fit the 16x9 frame and so is slightly distorted.
"Anamorphic" Aspect Ratio will stretch the width and compress the height giving black bars at the top and bottom which is even more distorted.

You are best to experiment to see what works best for you.
My solution has been to use the source image and fill in the black bars with an info graphic and/or ads as this image illustrates:

UserPostedImage

I would think that with a "News" oriented format, this can work out well for you as it is common practice for 24 hour news stations to fill the screen with multiple items from wire feeds to the weather graphic forecast all playing simultaneously on the 16x9 screen.

Ice

Indeed on filling in space with news or ad, good idea. Instead of a news or ad ticker on bottom, have it on side, one or two. And can use the social media feature in vMix to maybe put up viewer comments on side. Thanks!

darp  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:28:33 AM(UTC)
darp

Bardos wrote:
I use standard cams, but in my case, they can shoot "letterbox", so what I do, use SD, set the settings for SD 16x9, go into the input settings, and adjust the position to fill the area....did it while experimenting, and dispite the fact that there is a little grain in low light scenes, the quality is still good, and it works for me.....actually I was asked if my cameras are HD.....just because most people see HD as 16x9, not realizing that there is also SD 16x9 (letterbox) settings.....

Thanks, will remember that when set it up.

On Firewire See in vMix chart

HDV/DV Cameras Firewire Separate Firewire Card for each camera.
HDV and DV formats introduce a half second delay.

That would indicate that vMix can only see one firewire cam per card,even if the card has 3 ports. Sorta a bummer as I do not have 3 slots left, new PCs have cut way down slots. A 3 port Firewire card was looking like fantastic solution for 3 cam studio, no special cards just plug the cams in and roll. Which if had more PCI slots would be the case. In fact was thinking of translating HDMI to firewire to take advantage of firewire ease

HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED HOOKING UP MULTIPLE CAMS WITH ONE MULTIPORT FIREWIRE CARD?

It would be such an easy solution, hope it does work. With their warning that there is 1/2 sec delay, If I have another cam on say on BlackMagic card then the 3 could not be used together.

Cheers

darp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:50:39 AM(UTC)
darp

Someone is getting two FireWire Cams out on one Firewire card:

Saw this in Hardware forum here: I am using vMix basic HD

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 with 4GB RAM ,
Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

which should be compatible with vMix.

I have a Firewire card with three inputs for three DVI cameras.
vMix does not allow me to connect the third camera. I can see all of them in vMix ( camera 1,2,3) The error message is " not enough system ressources to perform this action"
Anyone knows how to solve this problem?
Thanks.

So with 4gig i5 he can run two cams from one card, maybe I can run 3 with i7 16gigs and decent GPU?
Bardos  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:06:25 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups:
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The problem is NOT vMix, it is the card itself....most firewire cards are designed that way...even though they may see 3 different devices, they can not process the details from 3 cameras at the same time.....if they have seperate chips for each input then there is no problem, but since there are very few companies making these cards today, it will be hard to find one that is designed for 3 cameras.......There is another program similar to vMix, AVTake CutFour, that is designed around firewire cards, and they explained it that way.....
thanks 1 user thanked Bardos for this useful post.
darp on 6/10/2015(UTC)
darp  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:41:00 PM(UTC)
darp

Bardos wrote:
The problem is NOT vMix, it is the card itself....most firewire cards are designed that way...even though they may see 3 different devices, they can not process the details from 3 cameras at the same time.....if they have seperate chips for each input then there is no problem, but since there are very few companies making these cards today, it will be hard to find one that is designed for 3 cameras.......There is another program similar to vMix, AVTake CutFour, that is designed around firewire cards, and they explained it that way.....

Thanks Bardos, this forum is most helpful.

I ordered the card http://www.amazon.com/gp...h_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 for $27, this one had better reviews and was only $5 more. I have 2 Firewire cams, for which the firewire is best connection they have, so to hook up them, need it even if has only abilty to see one cam, plus need it to read miniDV tapes into PC, so nothing to lose even if it does not handle more than one.

Everything in PCs has got better faster and cheaper, except for video connectivity. 15 years ago you could just plug in a DV cam, now we are back to 1990, you have to by a card and adapters etc.

BTW just bought a high-end multicam card for under $100. It looked like misprice. I am honest, warned them others sell same card for hundreds more, they verified that, but said that was price in their system, so took the order. If it turns out real, will order another one.

Then spill the beans here about it, or maybe sell them half price here ;-)
IceStream  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:34:59 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ darp

Older cards have come down significantly in price...
Largely because it is dated technology, often PCI slot, which are not very common anymore as opposed to the newer PCIe (e for express) and analogue capture.
The other thing to consider is whether or not it is designed as a "security system".
Often, those cards are cheap and work well for security (4 or 8 cams on screen simultaneously) but have proven themselves to be useless as a capture card for vMix production purposes.

As stated earlier, if your cams are from different manufacturers, the Firewire card is likely to recognize them and will probably 'max out' trying to process more than one signal. You may be within capacity with two signals and get away with it for awhile but there is a reason why vMix does mot recommend more than one signal per card.

I agree that the Firewire output will be better than the composite signal and would be the preferred method of capture, but I would seriously consider acquiring a second and/or third card if your motherboard has room.
Still a lot cheaper than current SDI/HDMI capture cards and your cameras can plug right in, the caveat is though, that the Firewire connection is not a very secure one. It's a good way to get started, but if you are in this for the long haul, you will want to upgrade before too long.

Ice
darp on 6/10/2015(UTC)
darp  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:40:42 PM(UTC)
darp

IceStream wrote:
@ darp

Older cards have come down significantly in price...
Largely because it is dated technology, often PCI slot, which are not very common anymore as opposed to the newer PCIe (e for express) and analogue capture.
The other thing to consider is whether or not it is designed as a "security system".
Often, those cards are cheap and work well for security (4 or 8 cams on screen simultaneously) but have proven themselves to be useless as a capture card for vMix production purposes.

As stated earlier, if your cams are from different manufacturers, the Firewire card is likely to recognize them and will probably 'max out' trying to process more than one signal. You may be within capacity with two signals and get away with it for awhile but there is a reason why vMix does mot recommend more than one signal per card.

I agree that the Firewire output will be better than the composite signal and would be the preferred method of capture, but I would seriously consider acquiring a second and/or third card if your motherboard has room.
Still a lot cheaper than current SDI/HDMI capture cards and your cameras can plug right in, the caveat is though, that the Firewire connection is not a very secure one. It's a good way to get started, but if you are in this for the long haul, you will want to upgrade before too long.

Ice

Hi Ice, I have one "secret" card on the way designed to take more than one cam in. Am planning today on also getting a Blackmagic Decklink SDI card with 3 SDI connectors and one analog breakout cable, the older one without fan like this http://www.amazon.com/Bl...ss-Capture/dp/B001PTFBKY . The concept being to hook my HDMI Vixia to SDI via converter. Which seems a very common setup to get HDMI cam video into a PC.

The newer Blackmagic Decklink with fan has much lower ratings on Amazon and elsewhere. Have heard the 3 SDIs are for one in, one out, and sync.

With this card I can hook up any camera made, composite, component, S, HDMI and SDI, that makes it worth $125 used. Plus have possible need to output SDI to tower, which it does too.

Thank you again for the helpful info.

-Darp
renpro  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 5:24:17 PM(UTC)
renpro

Man
United States

darp wrote:
Hi,

First our situation, equipment, needs:

I am news oriented format, so in studio greenscreen or street interviews, no sports stuff that requires long length SDI. 2 Cams will do it most of time but maybe 3 needed other times.

Have a bias towards software over hardware and digital over analog.

For live broadcasts am limited to 854x480 at about 2.7mbps. Have Win7 i7 with 16gigs ram. And of course vMix.

Existing current camera equipment:

1. HY-DV500 highend JVC MiniDV camera with composite, component and firewire 1394 output that is about 12 years old. One advantage of this is looks like pro cam for interviews, even if not connected ;-)

2. GL-1 Canon much smaller but similar to above Panasonic in age and miniDv format.

3. Logitech c920 HD USB cam.

5. low quality but good for testing 2nd USB cam, Microsoft Lifecam USB.

6. Canon Vixia with HDMI output.

7. mostly broken Sony hi8 v701 cam with 75% or so image, but use for testing whether composite signal gets thru to PC.

In vMix have been able to setup with no PC capture boards both USB cams and one composite output from the Sony Hi8 thru a Dazzle Composite to USB cabled converter. All three cams live, no problem at all thru 3 USB ports and switching in vMix.

If I could get good quality out of the MiniDVs thru Dazzle, that would be nice, but its 720x480 max for Dazzle. Anyone getting 16x9 out of old MiniDVs? As in 854x480?

For two cam shots maybe the Logitech USB and the Vixia using HDMI out converted to USB in to PC. Has anyone done that? Currently have no HDMI in for PC.

Has anyone had success with using older miniDV cams and using composite or firewire to get it into vMix without hardware? I have another XP CoreDuo PC which does have firewire in.

Most interested in what has worked for others.

Cheers

An update, it seems 3 port 1394 firewire boards are rated highly, are dirt cheap and seem to connect to MiniDV cams http://www.amazon.com/St...RID=0BDWNWGJW6AR5JG0ZH5D

It seems too good to be true, but could 3 cams be connected to vMix with one of these boards? Anyone do it?

We have used a multiport(3) 1394 PCI card in our HP desktop for a year with two Panasonic DVG15 attached. We bring our video in as 1280 x 720 NSTC 30p. The resolution is 720 x 480. We are getting outstanding quality and great performance. We do have a little extra system memory 10GB on a 4 core HP 6610f and GeForce 650 multiport graphics card. We are achieving HD and widescreen with no problems.
darp  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2015 10:17:31 PM(UTC)
darp

Hi Renpro, I think we were able to get 2 1394s to work of one board but it would not handle 3. Thanks for your feedback.