logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
computerman1597  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:00:15 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

Groups: Registered

Not sure what you guys will think of this idea, but though I would suggest it.

I am working on a streaming/recording system around vmix, and am seriously considering using cheap ($40) android phones as tally lights and intercom (with something like teamspeak and a phone headset) for my camera ops. While I like the idea of hardwired tally plus comms, it doesn't really fit the budget right now.

Would it be possible for the web interface to trigger the led flash for the front facing camera when that particular camera is live? Putting something red and dark would keep it from being unpleasantly bright, and make it a color most people are more used to for tally. Don't know if that is even possible for the web interface, but it was an idea I had. It could be nice, from time to time, for the talent on camera to know what camera is live, depending on the situation, so an option to turn that off in the vmix menu might be a good idea.
Damn2Good4U  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:30:56 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Hi,

I think the feature you are looking for is already in vMix.. using a cheap android phone and it changes into green when the camera is active...

Search the forum and you will see it.. if I do come across it, i will post the link here for you to see or check the help file for the android tally light features.
computerman1597  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:39:18 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

I know that the web interface can be used for tally for the camera op. But, if the web interface was able to turn the rear led on when the camera is live, and the phone was mounted in the right spot (i.e. on the top of the camera in the hotshot), the talent in front of the camera would also be able to see which camera was live. In certain uses, this is useful (studio setting, or in a room where the speaker may also want to look into the live camera to speak to people on a live stream/recording/other room fed by tv from vmix).

Just an idea I had, i know I would use it, but there may not be enough people interested in this to make it worth putting in.
Damn2Good4U  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:43:01 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Oh! i although use a TV inside the studio for the talent to know he/she is on air ...
computerman1597  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:47:29 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

That works, but it is hard for talent to look at a tv and at a camera that is somewhere else in a studio at the same time (unless you put a tv under each camera, which would get expensive fast, even more expensive than a hard wired tally solution). And that wouldn't work at all for a speaker giving a presentation in a room.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:35:36 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ computerman1597

The 'Web Tally Light' feature for smartphones is a rather simple and ingenious solution for the "cost conscious", but it in no way interacts with the 'inner' workings or features of the phone like the LED "flash".

http://www.vmixhd.com/help15/ (look at 'Tally Lights', near the bottom of contents menu)

The "Web" screen display corresponds directly with the "Preview Colour", "Output Colour" and the default vMix "Blue" input headers of the main GUI screen.
The "default" vMix colours are yellow and green for Preview and Program, but you can change these in "Settings" under 'Display' option.
If the "tally" screen needs to be highly visible on set, you can choose colours that display best in that environment and work well for you, the caveat to that is that it can make your GUI look somewhat colourful and 'cartoonish'.

Ice
stevespaw  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 10:05:02 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
The intercom/tally features with phones/ipods is already in
http://www.unityintercom.com

I know this is a cross post from another topic.
We just need a hook into vMix.

Steve
computerman1597  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:37:58 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

I have seen this before. It is an interesting idea, but at that cost, and when you don't already own devices, you are probably better off going with something like the data video intercom and tally system.

If you needed more people on the intercom system than that, you could use something like the eartec or portico belt packs, which retail for about $150 a piece. You can even get a telex system for under $300 a belt pack, and tally is easy to build fairly inexpensively with an arduino.

Unfortunately the unity intercom thing is just too expensive to keep someone interested vs going to a hardwired unit. Each additional license for another pack costs around $100, plus theres the cost of device and headset. It just isn't enough less expensive to make me interested.

We will probably just work with no front tally light for now, and when we get the budget, we may add an arduino based tally system and a portico comm system.
Bardos  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:57:50 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I used to use those cheapo headsets that Radio Shak used to sell, for intercom....there were VOX, so no push button....haven't seen much of them around though, The last time I used intercoms, I had a one way system...some old Azden wireless lapel mic systems......3 recievers, and one transmitter, set them all to the same channel, since they only have 2, clip the lapel mic to my shirt, and cheap, simple coms...one way only...no need for camera operator to talk back....worked great...no talkback, no hasles...
stevespaw  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 10:21:31 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Can Vmix be next?

Network Tally and Com