logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 1:04:29 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
We have a problem with overlays that don't auto restart, freeze or hang. Typically we put them on an overlay channel and map them to a button on the keyboard. Our overlays are all using a bluekey. An example of our overlays can be found here:
In the example they are not hanging, because we try to avoid it by pressing the little number under the overlay quickly and make the overlay disapear.

We tried many different codecs already, tried to make them very small (a few kb) or very big (20+mb), but the problem is still there sometimes. It's very difficult to reproduce the error, since it only happens now and then. Anyone else who has this problem and a possible fix?
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:27:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4165 time(s) in 1496 post(s)
Hi,

Can you describe what happens specifically for the "don't auto restart, freeze or hang" scenarios?
Does it only happen to the video or to all of vMix? What happens when trying the play/pause/restart buttons manually?

Also, what video formats have you tried? File format and codecs.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 8:23:16 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

admin wrote:
Hi,

Can you describe what happens specifically for the "don't auto restart, freeze or hang" scenarios?
Does it only happen to the video or to all of vMix? What happens when trying the play/pause/restart buttons manually?

Also, what video formats have you tried? File format and codecs.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix

I uploaded some examples.

We use 4-5 camera's, and always use 3 overlays. 1 overlay is the SVO (name), the others are full screen animations.

Sometimes the SVO's hang at 3/4 th of their playback, sometimes we have to open them in the preview window and restart them before they want to play again. Sometimes the animations hang once they finished playback. We then have to press little button with the number of the animation to remove the pauzed animation. It's not always happening, but randomly during the recordings.

https://www.dropbox.com/...9z3dxg/DJ_TOMAZ.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/...atermark_SLASH9.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/..._Festivibe_Main.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/...EXTRA_ANIMATION.mp4?dl=0

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 9:48:36 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Ittaidv

I have experienced similar issues with video playback 'intermittently' and 'random' (mostly choppy playback) but I usually attribute this to hard drive access issues more than a vMix issue.
My 'work-around' is to play back the video in preview which usually improves the 'access' to the file when I need it live (I typically use AVI files as MP4 and MOV have given me the most 'issues' in the past).
I cannot say whether this is your 'issue' or not, but I've tested your 'animations' and they appear to playback just fine for me.

In terms of 'Restart', videos will not do so until a 'Transition Out' if set up properly.
I suggest reading through this thread to get a better understanding of the tick boxes and behaviours:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3501

What is your 'set-up' like?

Ice
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 10:42:09 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

IceStream wrote:
@ Ittaidv

I have experienced similar issues with video playback 'intermittently' and 'random' (mostly choppy playback) but I usually attribute this to hard drive access issues more than a vMix issue.
My 'work-around' is to play back the video in preview which usually improves the 'access' to the file when I need it live (I typically use AVI files as MP4 and MOV have given me the most 'issues' in the past).
I cannot say whether this is your 'issue' or not, but I've tested your 'animations' and they appear to playback just fine for me.

In terms of 'Restart', videos will not do so until a 'Transition Out' if set up properly.
I suggest reading through this thread to get a better understanding of the tick boxes and behaviours:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3501

What is your 'set-up' like?

Ice

Thanks for claryfying Ice. I think indeed this is a harddisk acces issue. It's not a problem of settings, since it's working as supposed most of the time. I will try AVI files, i tried MOV, M2T and mpeg untill now. Do you use large files or heavily compressed ones?

The current setup is this:

Intel 2600 K
Yuan Quad sdi
2 x Decklink 4 K (component capturing)
Mini monitor
16 gb Ram
Gts 450 videocard

60 gb ssd C drive
120 gb ssd drive to load animations from
480 gb ssd drive for recording

We are building a second one though, and with this new one we will be doing bigger festivals. Everything should be running 100% perfect, since we will be doing streams for some of the best known festivals and brands in the world with the new setup ;) That's why I'm now trying to get the smoothest setup possible and eliminate all the bugs and quirks we were facing untill now. That's why I'm posting so many questions suddenly :)
admin  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:11:35 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

If you are only using SSDs then it is unlikely to be a disk access issue unless one of them is faulty.
Just to confirm, have you seen this issue with the latest version of vMix (15.0.0.74)?

I will download these soon and run some long term tests.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
Len56  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:13:03 PM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Can you tell us what Motherboard you are using as this could cause the problems you are having.

I use a ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard and it comes with a utility called EPU-6 Engine, if I have the utility on auto when using vMix I get the same problems you are having as the CPU is running at its slowest speed. if I run the utility on high performance the problems goes away as the CPU is running at an higher speed and all videos run perfectly and I am using MP4 videos. See below for Picture of the utility.
Len56 attached the following image(s):
EPU-6.jpg (24kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:13:55 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Also, could you clarify this a bit more:

"Sometimes the animations hang once they finished playback. We then have to press little button with the number of the animation to remove the pauzed animation. It's not always happening, but randomly during the recordings."

Do you have a trigger set to remove the overlay when finished which sometimes doesn't work?
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:21:48 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Thanks Martin!

By the way, we already tackled one issue:

We always use bluekey to key out some elements of our animations. If the first or last frame doesn't contain enough blue, the animation will not auto restart for sure. We tackled it by adding a blue frame in the beginning and the end of the animation.
Ittaidv  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:27:28 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Len56 wrote:
Can you tell us what Motherboard you are using as this could cause the problems you are having.

I use a ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard and it comes with a utility called EPU-6 Engine, if I have the utility on auto when using vMix I get the same problems you are having as the CPU is running at its slowest speed. if I run the utility on high performance the problems goes away as the CPU is running at an higher speed and all videos run perfectly and I am using MP4 videos. See below for Picture of the utility.

I'm using an ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE, I haven't got the utility installed, but I have some overclocking applied. That might indeed be part of the problem, I will look into it. Thanks!
Ittaidv  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 12:31:43 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

admin wrote:
Also, could you clarify this a bit more:

"Sometimes the animations hang once they finished playback. We then have to press little button with the number of the animation to remove the pauzed animation. It's not always happening, but randomly during the recordings."

Do you have a trigger set to remove the overlay when finished which sometimes doesn't work?

We haven't set any triggers, we just remove the animation from the output screen when it's stuck with this little button:

UserPostedImage
admin  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 4:19:03 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

That's what I am bit unsure about. What do you mean by "stuck" as the correct behaviour is for vMix to simply pause on the last frame when completed.
Ittaidv  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2015 5:46:56 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

It had to do with overclocking. Apperantly there is an option in the ASUS motherboard to overclock the processor. When it was on it's maximum setting, overlays would hang randomly. Weird, but solved. Thanks for the help!