logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 7:26:08 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Since we are in the processing of building a new rig, i'm also researching into new recording codecs.

Right now we use Mpeg 50 mbps, which is super stabile, and still not too huge for our recordings that can take up to 20 hours. Problem is that the variable framerate is not supported by Premiere pro, so the audio always goes out of sync. I checked the forum and found out that Martin changed mpeg from cbr to vbr, since cbr was causing crashes. Right now we always convert to cbr using handbrake over night. It's not a huge problem, but it's not convenient either.

Since MP4 doesn't have proper audio options, and WMV is a crappy codec, I'm now looking into AVI or MKV.

I found 2 usable codecs untill now:

- Blackmagic MJPEG: I tested it and it's ok, but I also read about crashes in Premiere with this codec, not sure if I want to rely on it untill this is fixed. To keep the filesize reasonable with this codec, the quality also suffers a bit, so I'm not a super fan of it.

- Cineform: the only option to have a reasonable filesize is to go for the 'low' setting. Medium is already unmanagble for long recordings. The filesize is a bit bigger then mpeg, but the quality is far worse on this setting: lots of macroblocking in the dark areas.

Is there anyone who knows an additional codec that can be installed for vmix that is/has:

- max 50 gb/hour
- uncompressed audio or minimum comparable to mp3 320
- preferably constant bitrate, or working well with premiere without losing audio sync
- rendering complex scenes with lots of stage lights, moving heads, lasers, ledscreens,.. well
- the file is still usable in case of for example sudden power failure. (I read that this is the case when you use an mkv container).

Thanks!
ask  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 2:10:31 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You can use the Grass Valley HQX AVI codecs which have been released as free. Go to the Green Valley website. Create an account and find them in the download section. It is about 30 mb.
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 5/16/2015(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 7:59:41 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

ask wrote:
You can use the Grass Valley HQX AVI codecs which have been released as free. Go to the Green Valley website. Create an account and find them in the download section. It is about 30 mb.

Thanks! Having Grass valley stuff on a vmix DIY rig makes me feel so pro :)
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 8:51:45 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Ittaidv wrote:
ask wrote:

Thanks! Having Grass valley stuff on a vmix DIY rig makes me feel so pro :)

It's looking really good, filesize whise and image quality whise, but premiere only imports the .AVI file, it doesn't recognise the MKV variant :(
PFBM  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 8:56:29 AM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Cineform HD codec is also very good and stable , and free :)

is there any comparison between grass valley an cineform codecs ?
and once again....
i say ... we need MXF XDCAM HD 4.2.2 recording :)

Cheers,

PFBM
Ittaidv  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 9:37:26 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Cineform in the lowest setting, compared to mpeg 50 mbps is showing more macroblocking and artifarcts to me, while having a larger filesize.

Going for larger files is not an option, since we sometimes record more then 20 hours, and SSD's bigger then 1 TB are super expensive.

Mxf would be a nice addition indeed, but having more precise options like cbr, vbr, more audio bitrate choice,.. would already help a lot too :)