logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zenon  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:29:11 AM(UTC)
zenon

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

If I'm right accroding your manual you say:
for Input settings - position:
Each of these options can also be changed for one of the four overlays through the dropdown menu.

so If I understand right It means I select the dorpdown menu, select Overlay, choose some Crop X1 and X2 and I must have a different cropped picture if I sselect the same camera as main or as Overlay 1 . But in my experience I can choose what ever I want in the Overlay1 selection, nothing changed in the output if I use camera as an overlay. I have the same view .

I want to use a crop and zoom picture if I go in pic in Pic (so default overlay1), but I cannot find how. Only work around now is to create a virtual Input with different zoom and crop and use the virtual input as overlay instead of the real input.

I'm using Vmix 15..

Is something wrong I did I misunderstood the settings Input-position - Overlay ?

Thank for answer

Dominique
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:55:50 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Dominique

For 'Picture-in-Picture' effect:

Best practice is to NOT adjust 'original' input and proceed as follows:

1) Add new Input
2) Choose "Colour" input from 'Input Select' options
3) Select 'Colour', 'Colour Bars' or 'Transparent' (Black is fine but you can pick appropriate BG to suit your needs)
4) Click 'Cog' wheel of new input
5) Select "Multi View"
6) Add desired inputs to appropriate 'Overlay' from drop down menu.
7) Position each 'Overlay' as desired (zoom/x:y:z/crop etc.)
8) (Optional) use one of vMix's "Title/XAML" MultiView templates as final overlay (or make & use your own graphic).

Hope that helps.
Also, please note that you cannot select an input as an overlay onto itself, you will need to use the "Create Virtual Input" feature for that.

Ice
zenon  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:18:46 PM(UTC)
zenon

Hi,

thx for prompt reply, the way you give is ok to put an input on an pic&pic overlay, but I want to use the API controlled by our application to put for example as main view a screen capturing and control the camera switches over the API and insert in the pic i pic Overlay. This is why I'm trying to use the overlay 1 as an overlay position for the PiciPic and not a virtual set as you describe.

In fact I have 4 cam input in the oinput 1 to 4 and I want to overlay as PiciPic the camera talking on the main view showing a screen capturing. So I toggle in fact the overlay 1 layer according the person talking on the main screen.

My idea was to have 4 cameras input for all 4 persons , and a cropped view much closer used in the overlay1 section when I have a PiciPic view. But I can solve it by creating a virtual input from any of the cameras and use this virtual view when I stay in PiciPic.

Using the virtual set as you say, will not work as I expect.

Ok thanks anyway.. just wondering what this option in the input- position-overlay is used for !

Dominique
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:54:50 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Dominique

Not sure I completely understand your set-up, but as I'm sure you've discovered, there are multiple ways of doing things with vMix, a lot just depends on your overall needs and workflow requirements.
From what I can gather in your description, you would like to "switch" camera inputs as a PiP on 'Overlay 1' via the API.
I haven't quite figured that one out yet, but I think something might be possible with the "SetMultiViewOverlay" setting, I just don't know what the parameters are for that.

Also, have you explored the "Global" Overlay settings (Overlay button along bottom menu), you can adjust the PiP settings there.
If I understand you correctly, then it is just a matter of setting up the API for each camera as overlay 1.
Failing that, my inclination would be to set-up multiple 'MultiView' inputs and simply switch between them, i.e. one for each camera/speaker.

Ice
zenon  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:06:55 PM(UTC)
zenon

@Ice

thx to your explanation I found out what the input-position is used for .. This is only to specify the zoom, pos and crop of the overlay in the multiview, not the generic size and zoom for the input when they are used as a "real" overlay.

So controlled by the API it's much easier to toggle input as overlay on and off, I have no other control to select an input in the multiview in the API.

In this case I'll create virtual input from main input with a different crop zone.

Your Idea to create Multiview for each pair of camera and screen capture is ok, but cannot be used if I have 3 or 4 screen captured, this will be too much to handle in all possible pairs of multiview.

But thx for help.

Dominique
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:20:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Please note edit to above post...
You can set-up your "master" or "global" downstream overlay settings with the "Overlay" button, the danger there is that that channel is "set" as such until you change it or "reset" it, so a lower third will display the same as your cropped camera.

Ice
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:35:09 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Dominique

I think I understand your dilemma, the "Global" overlay settings do not allow for 'Crop', in which case you will have to set-up virtual inputs and then set up those inputs as Overlay 1 via API.

Ice
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:31:00 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

I think I would still go with my initial instinct and set up 4 Multi-View SFX inputs
Screen capture as overlay '1' input on each (still only ONE screen capture, just used as a full screen overlay repeatedly) and cams 1 through 4 as overlay '2' cropped and placed appropriately within each MultiView input
Rename each input Speaker 1/2/3/4 and simply switch between them via API switching
Unless your requirements are even more elaborate, but the advantage with vMix is that you could set up as many SFX inputs as you want (until you reach your 1000 input limit)

Ice
zenon  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:18:17 PM(UTC)
zenon

you could be right , but the Pb on API switching is that as param of the input I can only use the input number, so as soon as 1 input is not on the right position all is wrong, so handling many input is really trickly .

With all video, multiview and audio input I'm handling actually 30 to 40 inputs, and all must be on right position, I cannot use any label on the input to control them over the http API.
If I do ot want to use the input Number I can use the GUID. Thi is not really user firendly,
Input

Specify an input by its number starting from 1.

0 can be used for Preview and -1 for Active.

A GUID can be used to specify an Input instead of a number.
For example:

http://127.0.0.1:8088/API/?Function=Fade&Duration=1000&Input=877bb3e7-58bd-46a1-85ce-0d673aec6bf5

you're right If I could use the label given on the input that would be really helpfull, but so far I saw it's not the case

Or perhaps in version 15 I dismiss something !!!

IceStream  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:42:06 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Dominique

Perhaps the help file needs updating (I'm not real clear on the API stuff myself, but I know the input numbering is new)
Maybe the discussion in this thread will be helpful to you:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=3445

Also, remember that the inputs can be 'moved' within the GUI (click and drag) if that makes a difference in your set-up.
In my particular situation, I generally have set-up as my generic "pre-set" 8 SFX inputs (or Blank Colour Inputs) as my first 8 inputs and I configure them according to my needs and thus my API or web interface remains consistent for those inputs (I will overlay cam 1 on input 1, cam 2 on input 2 etc. etc. so shortcut key 1 always points to input 1). Some of my test pre-sets have in excess of 60 inputs, but I will rarely cut between more than 10 or 15 actual inputs, hence the first 8 being my "Go To" shots and I can configure them on the fly if necessary, but the API call remains the same for each input.

Ice