logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darp  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:35:44 AM(UTC)
darp

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

Am newbie and like what have seen so far. I did a mockup of talk show format with lower third a host and 2 other video inputs (actually recorded video stimulating live guests).

So using 4 overlays. But normally you identify you guests with lower thirds on their overlay window, such as John Jones, CEO Gadjet, Inc.

So that would be 6 layers. Is there a way to bring in a guest with a lower third and it only counts as one overlay of your 4 overlay limit?

Also is there any templates with nice borders for a Host/1Guest, Host/2Guest interview like Fox/CNN use?

Thanks in advance, Darp
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:29:44 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ darp

Not sure I completely understand what you are attempting to accomplish...
You can have as many lower third graphics as you can handle but you can only use 4 'downstream' overlay channels simultaneously (that is "Overlay on Program Out" window/screen, buttons 1,2,3 and 4).
You can have an additional 4 'upstream' overlay channels on each input with the "Multi-View" feature (cog wheel of each input), however, these will be "hard wired" into that input as long as you have it 'active', so you'll need to be careful with that if your 'talent' and/or 'guest' changes for that input. There are other ways to accomplish this with 'Virtual' inputs and such, but I may be overcomplicating things for you at this point.
Now there is a limit to how much "layering" you can actually do, so you are best to play around with it to see what is possible in your scenario, but I think you will find that it is quite amazing what you can accomplish.
Perhaps if you describe exactly what you want to do, I could outline for you how I would go about doing it, although, when it comes to vMix, there are probably multiple ways of doing it, it's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
darp on 5/6/2015(UTC)
darp  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 10:58:12 AM(UTC)
darp

IceStream wrote:
@ darp

Not sure I completely understand what you are attempting to accomplish...
You can have as many lower third graphics as you can handle but you can only use 4 'downstream' overlay channels simultaneously (that is "Overlay on Program Out" window/screen, buttons 1,2,3 and 4).
You can have an additional 4 'upstream' overlay channels on each input with the "Multi-View" feature (cog wheel of each input), however, these will be "hard wired" into that input as long as you have it 'active', so you'll need to be careful with that if your 'talent' and/or 'guest' changes for that input. There are other ways to accomplish this with 'Virtual' inputs and such, but I may be overcomplicating things for you at this point.
Now there is a limit to how much "layering" you can actually do, so you are best to play around with it to see what is possible in your scenario, but I think you will find that it is quite amazing what you can accomplish.
Perhaps if you describe exactly what you want to do, I could outline for you how I would go about doing it, although, when it comes to vMix, there are probably multiple ways of doing it, it's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you.

Ice

Thanks Ice. Sounds like it can be done, will have to look at "multi-view"

An exact setup would be:

1. Background, such as looping virtual TV news set
2. Lower Third about the subject of talk show (overlay)
3. Host taking up most of left side of screen, 2nd overlay channel
4. Guest 1 upper right, 3rd overlay
5. Guest 2 lower right, 4th overlay
6. Lower 3rd overlay (title for guest) on Guest 1
7. Lower 3rd overlay on Guest 2

If the overlays in 6+7 can be done without needing another overlay channel (5th and 6th) then the 4 limit is not a problem.

Also sometimes on news they will have 4 offsite guests in separate windows, so with host that is 5 separate "cameras". Since they are not on top of each other, just on top of the background can that be done without using extra layers? Can 4 separate PIPs, live cameras as in this case, just be one layer even though separate boxes on the screen?

Am looking for the best and simplest way to have more than 4 PIP cameras/videos up on same screen, and separately how to have a Guest PIP camera with a lower 3rd count as just one layer. Figured people as yourself who really know the product can point me in right direction, so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks
darp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:37:54 PM(UTC)
darp

I see that Tom Sinclair in his interview of Martin

that he put the titles in the background below the PIP interview boxes. Fast forward to 4 mins to see it.

That is one way to reduce overlays. BTW very informative interview done this week, about an hour long.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:49:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ darp

Best case scenario is to design your own 'fullscreen' Title Template along the lines of the supplied ones (like the one Tom used {found in "Title/XAML" input option under "MultiView" tab}).
You can do this with the "vMix Title Designer", provided you have or can design (with another software like Photoshop) the BG Image (graphic) with the 3 or 4 PIP boxes you describe, and then build the necessary text fields required.
This, essentially, would not use up any of your 'downstream' overlay keys as it would be a preconfigured 'Special FX' "MultiView" input.
Designing and/or using a "Virtual Set" or "motion BG" would be more complex and not as 'do-able' if you have more than 3 PiP boxes, but I am sure you will discover the possibilities as you play around with it.

Ice
darp on 5/6/2015(UTC)
darp  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:16:08 PM(UTC)
darp

IceStream wrote:
@ darp

Best case scenario is to design your own 'fullscreen' Title Template along the lines of the supplied ones (like the one Tom used {found in "Title/XAML" input option under "MultiView" tab}).
You can do this with the "vMix Title Designer", provided you have or can design (with another software like Photoshop) the BG Image (graphic) with the 3 or 4 PIP boxes you describe, and then build the necessary text fields required.
This, essentially, would not use up any of your 'downstream' overlay keys as it would be a preconfigured 'Special FX' "MultiView" input.
Designing and/or using a "Virtual Set" or "motion BG" would be more complex and not as 'do-able' if you have more than 3 PiP boxes, but I am sure you will discover the possibilities as you play around with it.

Ice

Thanks Ice! will look into that.

I noticed that you can have two concurrent vMixes on same PC. vMix is so easy on CPU not an issue.

Is it possible to pull in a Skype interview into one instance of vMix and put one or two overlays on it, THEN pull that vMix output into the vMix that is producing the whole TV Show as a PIP? Have not tried it yet but makes sense. Will try it.

Have you ever fed one vMix Input with the Output of another vMix live? If so would be very easy to in effect have more than 4 overlays, more overlays than would ever be needed, think 12 if my logic is correct.

Cheers
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:38:17 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ darp

Although perhaps technically possible, I wouldn't advise that, as internal routing conflicts can easily arise, besides, I believe it would be in violation of the 'User License Agreement' to use more than one instance of the software concurrently.
In any event, there are simpler and more efficient methods of being just as 'creative' with vMix's built in feature set, it's just a matter 'learning the ropes' so to speak.

Ice
darp on 5/7/2015(UTC)
darp  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:42:27 PM(UTC)
darp

IceStream wrote:
@ darp

Although perhaps technically possible, I wouldn't advise that, as internal routing conflicts can easily arise, besides, I believe it would be in violation of the 'User License Agreement' to use more than one instance of the software concurrently.
In any event, there are simpler and more efficient methods of being just as 'creative' with vMix's built in feature set, it's just a matter 'learning the ropes' so to speak.

Ice

Thanks. Been up to my ears in cables and setting equip up in last day, hence slow thank you.
GeorgeR  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 10:33:09 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
darp wrote:
IceStream wrote:
@ darp

Ice

Thanks. Been up to my ears in cables and setting equip up in last day, hence slow thank you.

@darp, can you upload some kind of image about what you would like to accomplish with vMix?

~George