logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
luthierwnc  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:40:08 AM(UTC)
luthierwnc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi All,

I just got a Vixia R500 camcorder to go with my Logitech C920. The idea (subject to some trial and error) is to use one of them as the main camera in a DIY teleprompter and have the other about 25 degrees off the first for a different face angle. The hope is that when I flub a line, I can just repeat it and we can cut to a different angle rather than have a jump-cut.

The screen shows both cams and a separate audio mixer. I'm using a Magewell 1000 USB capture dongle and it seems to work fine. I've fiddled with the aspect ratios and format quite a bit. The webcam couldn't replicate the camcorder HDMI feed aspect ratio and format but feel I have a good balance between the two devices after some trial and error.

It never occurred to me to look into this before but can I actually record two camera inputs simultaneously?

The alternatives are to

a) shoot one version straight on and repeat it -- or at least -- the parts I might want to change or
b) keep the camcorder in the xMix screen but record using the SD card. Then mix them together in post.

There are probably other possibilities but we are at the edge of my expertise. If anyone has some ideas, I'd be much obliged, thanks, sh

Windows 7
i5 8 GB RAM
SSD and HDD
dedicated graphics card
multiple monitors (one for teleprompter, one for teleprompter feed and vMix)
Scarlett 2i2 audio interface with two mics -- USB 2.0 to bus.

PS Should have mentioned I'm using Basic HD. I stumbled across the multirecorder and discovered my version is inadequate. Please advise. sh

IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:15:45 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ luthierwnc

You are correct, in that the 'MultiCorder' is a premium feature that will allow you to record multiple camera inputs.
(Available in vMix 4K and Pro)

http://www.vmixhd.com/purchase.aspx
http://www.vmixhd.com/he...dex.htm?MultiCorder.html

The alternatives are to record "in camera" if you have that capability with a camcorder (always a good idea anyways for the sake of redundancy and murphy's law).
I'm not exactly sure what you are hoping to achieve, but there are multiple ways of putting together a 'piece'...

A clean 'Take' is the least complicated, but if that is not attainable (too long to get it right for example), then you might want to consider multiple segments and 'Editing' software to 'piece' things together properly.
This could be accomplished with vMix, but it is not the most efficient or practical way to do it.

Ice

luthierwnc  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 9:39:50 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks IceStream,

The plan is to continue doing what I'm doing -- using the SD card in the camcorder when using two cameras and mixing it later. Cheers, sh