logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitchstein443  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:51:32 AM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm trying to get vmix to capture from four cameras through rca jacks..

current setup:
latest vmix 15.x
win 8.1 all updates
thinkpad I7 4th gen 16 gigs ram NVidia video
four eazycap usb video capture or usb 3.0 port and usb 3.0 four port hub (on 2.0 ran out of usb bandwidth)
vmix seems to work perfectly until I activate a second usb capture then the picture freezes but the audio keeps going.. vmix returns no error.

I have done 2 hour broadcasts with using just one (any one) of the usb captures, but as soon as a second is added as an input the video freezes.

I have used all four at the sametime in another software app (security cam software) on this laptop.

does anyone have any ideas why or a better solution? (and don't tell me to buy a 32,000$ streaming device)..
Bardos  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:10:02 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
You are using the cheapo ezcaps....I had the same problem.....also, do not use a hub except it is powered.....use seperate USB ports.....and you should get 3 to work...I do that, but I use different brands, as those chinese cheapos don't do a good job...Buy good quality capture dongles, Pinnacle has a good one, and Manhattan....EZCap also, but make sure you have the genuine one......pass there, done that, so I am passing on the experience
tdurhamjr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 10:36:00 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I've never used that thing but from what I can tell from other websites those are just as bardos said, a piece of crap. You don't have to spend $32k on a system but you are going to need some decent hardware. And I am at the front of the line to get by with something much less if it will work. But trying to run 4 of these $5 units on a $25 4 port usb hub just ain't going to work.
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:06:09 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 162 post(s)
I have had good success using up to three USB Frame Grabbers of a particular brand: EZCap.tv. They are available from Amazon and eBay here in the States.

Make sure you connect them to different USB controllers. Remember, one USB controller may control two USB ports, so make sure you spread the EZCaps around to different USB controllers.
mitchstein443  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 9:51:48 PM(UTC)
mitchstein443

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:
I have had good success using up to three USB Frame Grabbers of a particular brand: EZCap.tv. They are available from Amazon and eBay here in the States.

Make sure you connect them to different USB controllers. Remember, one USB controller may control two USB ports, so make sure you spread the EZCaps around to different USB controllers.

I started another thread with my experience so far but I'll repeat here...

1 easycap ($7) 1 ion MKII (20$) in a 4 port hub (non powered) on usb 2.0 works just fine, recorded from two cable boxes over night on the laptop..

BUT...

as soon as I plug in another easycap($7) doesn't matter where or how, tried in the usb 3.0 port, the usb hub, and on the otherside of the laptop the usb port direct, it just gets hot and kills the other two from the laptop (my usb wireless mouse works fine though) I also tried using 3 seperate powered usb hubs in the usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports on the laptop same results..

I have ordered another ION MKII to try using two of those at time if that works I'll try two more and post back the experience either way..

Currently I am using my videonics MX-1 or my MX-4pro to mix the cams down to one output sending that to the easycap or mkII into vmix, adding overlays and recording to harddisk, also using the external out (vmix virtual), grabbing that with windows media encoder and sending it off for streaming to my windows media server as describe above..

We have decided that if we can not get the mixing to work for a total of under $350 we will just buy a couple more mx-4's or roland rv4's for our road crews.. I can not see spending over $100 just for video capture when there are 4 channel digital sd video mixers with all the transitions we need for under $350.. We've been using the setup for over 8 years now and have found that the usb capture devices are the first things that either walk out the door or stop working.. we've used expensive ones, they last as long as the easycaps, and since the drivers on the easycaps are so hard to come by they don't get stolen as fast.. lol