logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gegraham  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:53:07 PM(UTC)
gegraham

Groups: Registered

I have a GEforce GTX 750 video card, and set up two displays.

In vMix-HD, am able set display1 to be fullscreen output, but I do not see any option to use display2 as an external output.

> Is it possible to configure vMix to use display2 as a fullscreen or external output ?

My setup:
nVidia control panel
WXGA output is display 2, but I have set it to primary (where the vMix applicaton runs)
HDMI is display 1 - I have an HDMI to s-video scaler to hopefully use this for existing SD TVs.

If there is another way to configure the outputs of the graphics card so I can get fullscreen output, please let me know.
I am planning to stream, record and use fullscreen output if possible.
Using Decklink Quad card for (4) SDI inputs.. cannot use one of them for output at this point.

Regards,
Gary

coskel22  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 6:25:07 AM(UTC)
coskel22

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
ok, I use a scaler all the time to do this.
Are you on a Windows PC?

If so, press the Win + P and make sure its is set to Extend.
Egriswold  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 9:42:18 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
The "Full Screen" button is designed to send selected source to secondary output of your graphics card to drive devices such as projectors or even another monitor if you wish to see a larger form of the a selected source. You could also choose a multiview for a producers view .
External button is designed to activate output to web streaming connection if you using program such as flash media encoder and also to send video audio to secondary output I/O such as a BlackMagic Intensity Pro card for external video devices.
gegraham  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 7:13:35 PM(UTC)
gegraham

I set the desktop to extend by a right click on the desktop and gaphics properties dialogue in Windows 7. After that, I verified I can drag a window off the right edge of the primary display and that window will show on the other display.

When I go to vMix and select Full screen and the display1 output, I see whatever I have selected for display1 is shown as the background of my primary monitor where vMix is running.

I was expecting the full screen to show on my second display (display 1) , not the primary display (display 2).

Is this happening because I have display 2 (as shown by "identify" and Windows naming convention) as the primary display ?

I wanted to scale down the HDMI and record with it because it has audio and video together.

gegraham  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 11:46:14 PM(UTC)
gegraham

I upgraded to the latest release of vMix HD for this recent test.

I revisited the system and my configuration settings again today and can see that the full screen output is showing on the display that is designated as the primary display in Windows. I was able to steer the full screen output to either one of the two monitors connected to my GTX 750 card, but only to the one that is designated as the Primary display in Windows 7.

In other words, the Fullscreen output shows on the display where the Windows Start menu is... and where the desktop icons are typically located.

This seems inconvenient, because if I am using full screen for vMix output, I would not want to see any other computer activity like launching programs in the full screen output. While full screen is active, I have to use the Windows key to break out and do anything else (like run vMix on the other display).

Is this normal to see the Fullscreen output on the primary display (display1) and run vMix from the secondary display where there is no ability to launch other programs like a web browser, etc.?
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:26:09 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ gegraham

My display's identify left to right as 1 & 2, where Screen 1 (left screen) is the Primary Windows Desktop with Start Menu. The 'Fullscreen' output of vMix displays on Screen 2 (right screen), so I suspect that vMix defaults to the Windows Identified #2 Screen, regardless of primary or secondary designation.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:19:45 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Gary,
My guess is that in your case it is a simple fix. In vMix Settings/Display, Fullscreen section select "2" in the dropdown "Display" under "Fullscreen 1" (green rectangle).

Background: This is unfortunately a nomenclature and Windows display management mess, for many reasons.

To begin with, Windows seems to number the available displays in an arbitrary fasion. Perhaps not arbitrary, but I have not after several experiments been able to figure out how Windows number the displays. No success either in finding out if the numbers somehow are related to which connector is used on the graphics card (eg Displayport, HDMI, DVI, etc).

Second, Windows's numbers for "Display" are NOT the same as the numbers shown in vMix's dropdown selection discussed above. vMix always use "1" for the display where vMix is running. In case of more than two monitors are connected, one has to figure out which goes where by trial and error.

To make things even more complicated we have issues when more than two monitors are connected. Consider an example where vMix is running on one monitor (say Windows's display 2), one monitor is used to feed vMix's Output to an IMAG screen (say Window's display 1), and the third used to feed vMix's Multiview to a monitor used by a production assistant (say Window's display 3). Again, you have to use the trial and error to figure out which Fullscreen numbers should be set in vMix's Settings/Display. Now you happily save this Setting at home/office/studio and everything works.

Then, on site, when booting up not all monitors are connected. Perhaps because you have to wait for the house technicians to deliver the cables. Most likeley the house monitors are not the same as you had back "home". Which means that whatever you set in Windows in terms of resolution and frame rate are forgotten. And probably the "numbers" are no longer the same. Again, you have to use trial and error to make everything go where you want it to go. Again, this is not vMix's fault, it is Windows's. Of course things are better if you always produce in the same location, with the same monitors connected to the same outputs and all monitors are connected at bootup.

Personally, to reduce confusion, I would prefer if vMix's "Display 1" and "Display 2" (the latter for editions where two Fullscreens are available) allowed the user to rename these (green rectangles). Default would be "Fullscreen 1" and "Fullscreen 2", and I could rename them to for example "IMAG" and "Assistant". These names should then also be used in the "Fullscreen" dropdown selection at vMix's main window. And perhaps instead of "Display": 2, 3, and soforth (in the Settings/Display) - use "Output": 2, 3, and soforth (to clarify it is not Windows's display numbers.

Just my two cents...
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
gegraham on 4/24/2015(UTC), trevora on 3/15/2022(UTC)
gegraham  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 12:53:33 AM(UTC)
gegraham

Richard,
Thanks for the tip. You were right, it was a simple fix, just a couple of clicks in the right place and the Fullscreen output moved over to "display2" (the secondary monitor to Windows).

Thanks for the help on this... it was one of the final hurdles to completion on our system.

Regards,
Gary G.
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 3:27:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Glad to help, and happy to know you fixed it!
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 10:30:11 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Not to confuse matters, and I am also glad you resolved your issue Gary, but there must be some convention by which vMix determines which 'Display' is which?
I agree with Richard that you often have to figure these things out by trial and error on location...
(I have experienced the "Windows arbitrariness" many times, fortunately for me though, I don't usually use the 'Fullscreen' display and it's a non issue)
In my case, vMixHD only allows for one 'Fullscreen' output option (Display 1), which for me, currently outputs to my secondary screen (as stated above) regardless of which screen I run vMix on AFAIK, or perhaps it's based on which screen vMix launches to (for me usually Primary), I don't know.
In any event, I can see this as a potential complication when setting up on-location as evidenced by Gary's predicament above and Richard's 'experiences'.
Perhaps having some sort of "clear" documentation of how vMix and 'windows' manage this will help to avoid such "PANIC" situations just before a 'Live Show'.
I also like Richard's suggestion of being able to 're-name' the displays according to 'user' preferences, provided they are 'conventionally' assigned and not 'arbitrary', which would only confuse things more.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 9:50:08 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

IceStream wrote:
there must be some convention by which vMix determines which 'Display' is which?

I think Martin said earlier in another topic where these issues was discussed, that vMix cannot know which display is which. So he designed it to make vMix's Main screen to be on what vMix offers as Display drop down 1, and 2..4 are other displays, with no relation to Windows's numbering.