logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duff TV  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 3:37:13 AM(UTC)
Duff TV

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
After using Vmix for 6 months and totally loving it, the jury is still out on when to record in interlaced or progressive.To paint the picture I film sport and my customers buy DVD's but I also stream live to the internet.

I am questioning if or not ticking "deintelrace blend" on the camera input stage effects the recorded video, recorded within Vmix.

Last weekend I set my camera (Canon XF205) to 1080i so brought them into vmix at 1080i, ticked "deintelrace blend" at the camera input stage. My understanding is that you do this so that footage that streams to the internet is smooth?

I recorded MPEG2 at 1080i and at 32mb per sec. I find MPEG 2 rock solid and not cpu heavy. When comparing the recorded Vmix clip to the raw camera file which was a 1440x1080i file @ 25mbps, the vision of the Vmix file is not as smooth to the eye. This is the case when editing in post via Edius or when the footage has gone out to DVD.

To verify this is made a DVD with both raw footage and recorded vmix footage. It was fairly clear to the trained eye which was which.

So this leads me to question is deinterlacing interlcaed footage that gets recorded as an interlaced clip sort of playing with paramaters too much?

I think I may have a play with going 720P, meaning no deinterlacing and let Edius deal with the deinterlacing when I make my DVD's

Overall I am rapt with Vmix and continually amazed at the sheer capabilities of the software. Its a total game changer for me.

My only ark has been about 3 months ago I had problems with recording Mpeg4's (recorded footage was frame holding about every 10 seconds). I have switched to recording MPEG2's and find it rock solid.

My PC is fairly highly specked,Core i7 3770k @3.5ghz lots of ram, 16gb RAM and GTX 660 graphics card. Vmix runs like a dream.

thanks

admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 4:01:33 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Since vMix 14, interlaced and progressive are both handled automatically without deinterlacing.
I would suggest trying the latest vMix 14 out and setting input frame rate, recording frame rate and output frame rate in settings
all to 50i and the recording will be as expected.

Note that this requires more CPU resources than deinterlacing, so run some tests to make sure your PC is up to the task.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Duff TV  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 6:14:31 AM(UTC)
Duff TV

Hi Martin

I already use version 14.0.0.112 but in tonights test didnt tick "deinterlace blend".

Spot on. The recorded MPEG2 1080i file seems perfectly smooth.

Is there therefore any need for the deinterlace blend setting? Just a suggestion.

Thanks as always.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 7:53:59 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ admin

Do you recommend those settings of 50i regardless of NTSC or PAL countries?
(if so can you elaborate?)

Ice
admin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 8:31:25 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Depends on the cameras frame rate. 50i was only suggested because I know Duff TV use Pal cameras
Bardos  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 4, 2015 7:32:26 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups:
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
So, Martin, I use NTSC...should I then use 60i, rather than 30p, ...I am using SD, 720 x 480......which should give me a smoother recording...and less drop frames....
Duff TV  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:09:10 AM(UTC)
Duff TV

The jury is still out for me on do I record in interlaced or progressive and I am sure this topic has been discussed in other threads.

One thing for me to consider is that even when recording to Vmix I do, like most, like to record to the camera, this way I have the raw footage in case Vmix or power or something goes wrong and I need that raw footage in post.

I am using a Canon XF205 and for the football (Aussie Rules) single camera filming I do its tempting to go Progressive. The reason for this is because for convenience the 205 can record onto a SD card at 17mbps MPEG4 making it good for storage space. It means I can get about 5 hours footage onto the one card - so for those long days of shooting one dump to the PC at the end of the day. No more thinking "Have I dumped card 1 yet"?

On occasions where I have to play the game back through Vmix then using 17mbps footage is surely fine for the end format I go to is DVD.

Considering I do lots of panning and the need nice slow motion replays is progressive 50P better than interlaced 50i?