logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LAJDigital  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:54:34 AM(UTC)
LAJDigital

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I've been useing vMix for MMA events for a while. and its only now where i think we are to a point where we are getting there with it. also just started to see how the new replay system will go.

below is a sample video of one of the Fights
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:36:47 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Job well done LAJDigital!

Can you elaborate a little bit more on your set-up?
I liked the graphics and the overall presentation.
The most notable criticism or downfall was the color imbalance between the cameras, I am not sure how much you can do to correct that in vMix or if you tried anything but it does illustrate the importance of matching the cameras as much as possible, otherwise it 'jars' the viewer every time you switch cameras and detracts from the seamless flow of a show.
Keep up the great work.

Ice
LAJDigital  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:53:56 AM(UTC)
LAJDigital

No problems there.
For these events we are using three XA25’s connected to the computer via BNC cable to a AJA KNOA 3G Card. We do use other cameras however we have been having some problems getting those to talk to the computer. We have just gotten a HDMI to BNC converter so that should give us at least four cameras that we can rely on .
Graphic wise we are using after effects for the full screen bumpers rendered out before the event the lower thirds are just standard lower thirds done in the vMix title program because half time we don’t get all the information we need for those before the event. The lower third timer is a transparent QuickTime file it just makes things a lot easier in the long run.
All overlays and full screen bumpers are list files which are configured to play on mouseclick. On this event I didn’t have time to fix up all the white balance in the cameras (the event started 20 minutes early) but that’s normally one thing I do check before we go on to broadcast.
illpicasso  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 11, 2015 5:07:28 PM(UTC)
illpicasso

Great job! I film a lot of MMA and boxing shows. I currently use the BM ATEM and I used the VMIX strictly for graphics and playout this weekend. I am interested in knowing your computer specs. I haven't invested in a CPU yet for fear of dropped frames. But i would like to go all VMIX on some shows. I use the xa25s as well and ran into the same white balance problem. Kept resetting to auto. I didn't think of it until after the show but next fight I'll bring an Ipad to control the cameras wirelessly.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:47:50 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
A fine production LAJDigital!
Looks like you are using a wireless cam (can't see any cables) for the camera inside the ring.

@illpicasso, none of my G30 or XA25 have "dropped" the whiet balance setting. How do you set white balance?
On important thing is that in order for the camera do remember settings it must be turned off with the power switch. Removing the battery, or running out of power will revert to tha last properly saved settings.

Ee gave up trying to control these cameras via WiFi, found it too unreliable (and complicated).
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
illpicasso on 4/23/2015(UTC)
LAJDigital  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:26:09 AM(UTC)
LAJDigital

richardgatarski wrote:
A fine production LAJDigital!
Looks like you are using a wireless cam (can't see any cables) for the camera inside the ring.

Its actually cabled to the camera. we are still trying to do this on the cheap so a decent wireless system goes outside of the budget that we have. just the in ring camera person was able to direct the fighters so that they don't run over the cable and it had yellow high vis gaff tape on it as well just so people can see it in the ring. (I have attached a photo for reference from another shot.)

When it comes to white balance we have just been going auto since the lighting changes so much during a event however i'm going to be seeing if the next event we go with a custom white balance over all the cameras. (If we have the time) the main person i do the work with has been chopping and changing what they want during the setup for the event. doesn't make setup easy at all.

illpicasso - computer specs are a core i7-4770k @ 3.50ghz, 24 gigs of ram (soon to be upgraded to 32 gigs) and I'm also running a GeForce GTX 770 graphics card. on the motherboard is a z87 pro but im thinking about replacing that soon.

Main capture card is the AJA Kona 3g but also got 2 avermedia C027 (i think) cards to act as backup inputs however the HDMI inputs are a bit temperamental so they are for "DIsposable" cameras. if they go down during a event they are not that important but they are nice to have.

I do run into problems with memory with too many hi res inputs so i'm running at 720p at 25fps for the base capture (and it works with the new instant replay system which i'm still getting the hang of. The case i'm using is a Silverstone GD09 case probably the best case i found that does everything i need but small enough to fit in a standard suitcase for travel. i made a few mistakes though in packing it so it is a bit battered and worn but using a camping mat wrapped around it 2 times has gotten rig of most of the issues i was having.

one issue i am having is the output since im just useing the second monitor as a output for the venue is fine but again the other person wants to look over my shoulder so i setup a test third screen for them to watch the multview and it gives a few frames of jitter in the playback.
its just getting there to that point... and its just the niggly bits im trying to troubleshoot now.

I Am tempted to make a udemy coruse or a youtube show about livestreaming.... but dont know that ill have a audience for that yet.
LAJDigital attached the following image(s):
ex1.jpg (31kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked LAJDigital for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 4/14/2015(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:22:49 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Forgot to thank you LAGDigital for sharing all this!
Cudos :)
illpicasso  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:39:22 PM(UTC)
illpicasso

We use the nyrius aries pro for walkouts, in cage and roaming footage. It works nearly as good as the paralinx arrow. I get about 250 ft of distance during set up which of course drops to around 75 - 100 once we lose line of sight. after renting the arrow for 90 bucks each time it was worth it.