logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgeR  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 11:58:00 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hello Everyone,

I have searched the forums but did not find the answer.

I need to update an existing i7 computer. One of those upgrades will be a secondary SSD (250 GB). My question, should I move the entire vMix program to the secondary SSD or are SSD drives mostly recommended for recording videos?

Also, if I move the vMix program to a secondary SSD will there be any issues with my registration?

Thanks in advance,

~George
Charssay  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 4:50:36 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Dear George.

If you intend a secondary SSD, you mean that the first disk is a standard one or also a SSD. In Both case I will say no.
SSD as primary hardrive could only help you to have a fully Quick responsive Unit. But in a Computer a Good standard hardrive could remain the primary, and if it is big, use it also are archive drive and then use the SSD to record your video there over all if they are HD 1080. But if you never record in HD, SSD could be useless.

C.
thanks 1 user thanked Charssay for this useful post.
GeorgeR on 3/22/2015(UTC)
tdurhamjr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 8:59:28 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
George I only run SSD drives for my vmix computers. However, if I had a standard hard drive and an SSD drive I would load my programs on the non SSD drive and use the SSD drive for Instant Replay and recording to. I am feel quite certain there is no benefit to moving "program' to the SSD drive. Performance is coming from your video card, processor, and write speed for recording. Just my opinion.

Tim
thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
GeorgeR on 3/22/2015(UTC)
GeorgeR  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:47:54 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Charssay wrote:
Dear George.

If you intend a secondary SSD, you mean that the first disk is a standard one or also a SSD. In Both case I will say no.
SSD as primary hardrive could only help you to have a fully Quick responsive Unit. But in a Computer a Good standard hardrive could remain the primary, and if it is big, use it also are archive drive and then use the SSD to record your video there over all if they are HD 1080. But if you never record in HD, SSD could be useless.

C.

Thanks.
GeorgeR  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:49:53 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

tdurhamjr wrote:
George I only run SSD drives for my vmix computers. However, if I had a standard hard drive and an SSD drive I would load my programs on the non SSD drive and use the SSD drive for Instant Replay and recording to. I am feel quite certain there is no benefit to moving "program' to the SSD drive. Performance is coming from your video card, processor, and write speed for recording. Just my opinion.

Tim

Thanks. Yes, graphic cards are getting upgraded too.