logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
STADIORADIO  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 11:57:15 AM(UTC)
STADIORADIO

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello
Recently I switched to Vmix HD, and now I was confronted with the technical limits of my system

M / B ASUS P8H61 R2.0 CORE I3 / I5 / I7LGA1155
1PCIE3.0X16 2PCIE1X 3PCI 4SATA2 10USB2.0 GLAN ATX 90-MIBID0-
G0EAY0VZ

INTEL CORE I5-3330LGA 1155 3.0GHz 6MB B
CPU INTEL QUAD CORE IVY BRIDGE I5-3330 3.0G BX80637I53330
6MB 77W LGA1155 22nm BOX

FORM 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz CORSAIR

HARD DISK SEAGATE 1TB SATA3

SVGA ASUS GT610-SL-1GD3-L NVIDIA GT610 SILENT 1GD3 PCIe2.0
DVI-I HDMI CUDA PhysX DX11 LOW PROFILE 90-C1CSC1-L0UANAYZ

the problem now is finding that FMLE already at 1280 * 720 consumes almost all CPU resources 50-60% + 22% Vmix. The system does not work then the best

My question is:

I have to change the video card? With a video card of higher quality the CPU does not go under stress?

An Asus GTX750TI PCIe Video Card, 2GB OC, solves the problem?

Thank You
fordry  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:21:37 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The question is, are you able to stream what you want without dropping frames? If you aren't dropping frames, then don't worry about it and try to think about what else you are doing on the system while you are streaming. Also, if you are using the graphical FMLE interface, you will save a few percentage points on CPU usage if you switch to command line, either standalone or the FMLE streamer built-in to Vmix(which is command line only).

Your graphics card should be fine unless you are inputting more than 4-5 HD inputs, even more than that may very well able to work fine with that GPU, I don't know for sure.

If you're still concerned about your CPU usage, upgrade the CPU, either a K i5 so you can overclock or an i7.

And lastly, if you are trying to do various things on the system while you are streaming, I might recommend trying to get a 2nd system or something. Streaming is pretty demanding and doing lots of other things is going to be problematic.
STADIORADIO  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:48:34 PM(UTC)
STADIORADIO

Man

fordry wrote:
The question is, are you able to stream what you want without dropping frames? If you aren't dropping frames, then don't worry about it and try to think about what else you are doing on the system while you are streaming. Also, if you are using the graphical FMLE interface, you will save a few percentage points on CPU usage if you switch to command line, either standalone or the FMLE streamer built-in to Vmix(which is command line only).

Your graphics card should be fine unless you are inputting more than 4-5 HD inputs, even more than that may very well able to work fine with that GPU, I don't know for sure.

If you're still concerned about your CPU usage, upgrade the CPU, either a K i5 so you can overclock or an i7.

And lastly, if you are trying to do various things on the system while you are streaming, I might recommend trying to get a 2nd system or something. Streaming is pretty demanding and doing lots of other things is going to be problematic.

Thanks for the reply
No. On the PC is open only Vmix.
We use the integrated Vmix for streaming

what do you mean "are you able to stream what you want without dropping frames?"
fordry  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 1:51:21 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
It should show dropped frames as one of the bits of info in the FMLE data readout while it is active. You know how it shows the actual bitrate of the video and audio streams in realtime. It also shows dropped frames. A dropped frame occurs when, among other reasons, the CPU is overloaded and cannot process everything and so it will start showing dropped frames. A dropped frame is simply one frame of your video that doesn't get processed and doesn't get sent. One dropped frame here or there, while concerning, isn't necessarily going to be very noticeable(especially on a web stream). But if you are getting constant dropped frames then that is definitely going to be very noticeable and you would need to deal with it.

Whatever your CPU usage, if you aren't dropping frames, then you're OK as long as you understand what could crop up. Might want to have auto updates turned off and make sure your antivirus isn't going to start doing stuff randomly, etc...
Thremir  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:17:36 PM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
STADIORADIO wrote:
Hello
Recently I switched to Vmix HD, and now I was confronted with the technical limits of my system

M / B ASUS P8H61 R2.0 CORE I3 / I5 / I7LGA1155
1PCIE3.0X16 2PCIE1X 3PCI 4SATA2 10USB2.0 GLAN ATX 90-MIBID0-
G0EAY0VZ

INTEL CORE I5-3330LGA 1155 3.0GHz 6MB B
CPU INTEL QUAD CORE IVY BRIDGE I5-3330 3.0G BX80637I53330
6MB 77W LGA1155 22nm BOX

FORM 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz CORSAIR

HARD DISK SEAGATE 1TB SATA3

SVGA ASUS GT610-SL-1GD3-L NVIDIA GT610 SILENT 1GD3 PCIe2.0
DVI-I HDMI CUDA PhysX DX11 LOW PROFILE 90-C1CSC1-L0UANAYZ

the problem now is finding that FMLE already at 1280 * 720 consumes almost all CPU resources 50-60% + 22% Vmix. The system does not work then the best

My question is:

I have to change the video card? With a video card of higher quality the CPU does not go under stress?

An Asus GTX750TI PCIe Video Card, 2GB OC, solves the problem?

Thank You

I would recommend using Open Broadcaster Software for encoding your livestream. The way you do that is to start vMix' external out and open vMix Video 1 and vMix Audio in OBS and start streaming. Much more efficient encoding at least in my config.

Cheers,
Håvard
ask  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:17:21 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The core of your issue is the Processor. (sorry for the pun). An i5 is under-powered for the resolution you are trying to encode and stream. A new graphics card will not help, as FMLE is designed to use your CPU as is OBS. OBS uses FFMPEG at its core as does vMIX. So you could simply try the vMix implementation of FFMPEG rather than loading OBS. Next, try a lower streaming resolution. Third test. Try using another device to handle the streaming. This could be a PC with vMIx BasicHD installed, or a dedicated device like a Terradec, Averlemedia LGP or U3.
STADIORADIO  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:27:22 PM(UTC)
STADIORADIO

Man

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ANSWERS :-)

I have significantly reduced the problem. I modified the output frame rate. Before now it was 50p pal25p.

The system is still the limit, before the cpu was 100% now works around 80%.

As written by ASK, change the video card would not help, so I should go to a I7 and, perhaps, change the motherboard?

I have HD version, not HD Basic

thank you all for the answers
ask  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:38:52 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
If you are going to the trouble of changing the mobo I would suggest that you build/buy a new system to become your main production PC. Look at latest generation i7 on a a z97 mobo with SSD main drive and Graphics card as per recommended vMix specs. Use your old machine to offload functions such as encoding or as a backup.
STADIORADIO  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:46:19 PM(UTC)
STADIORADIO

Man

ask wrote:
If you are going to the trouble of changing the mobo I would suggest that you build/buy a new system to become your main production PC. Look at latest generation i7 on a a z97 mobo with SSD main drive and Graphics card as per recommended vMix specs. Use your old machine to offload functions such as encoding or as a backup.

ok
thanks for the tips