logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
r@wisla  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 2:38:02 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I'm thinking about building quite small, portable vMix rig: PC with build in LCD. Therefore I would like to use quite small screen, smaller then 20 inch.

I consider some solutions, but one of them is a usb 3.0 screen, like:
- ASUS MB MB168B+ - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H0FK2A6
- GeChic On-Lap 1502I - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DS18ZTG/

It's small (but big enough for me, I sometimes use vMix on a 15,6 inch full hd screen laptop), very portable, image quality should be enough and it's USB powered - no need for additional power supply.

My concern is, that usb lcd process the image itself. If I understand it right, this device is an external usb graphic card with lcd screen.

So this setup is kind of "2 graphic card" PC: dedicated nVidia graphic card with no screen connected and usb-lcd.

My question is: will it work and will it work right?

Is vMix going to use the dedicated graphic card installed in PC to process the video and the usb lcd with its image processing will not affect vMix efficiency?

Note: I'm not going to use any usb capture card. Or.. sometimes maybe one, but not on the same usb controller the usb-lcd is connected.
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 3:04:41 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I have successfully used a USB 2.0 LCD screen as a second screen for a vMix production. It worked quite well for me. This is the one I used (it was the one I had laying around the house at the time) -

http://www.newegg.com/Pr...r-_-24-160-064-_-Product

My production was an SD production and I also used a couple of USB capture devices for this production. There wasn't a lot of graphics or other significant processing that the video card had to do for me and everything worked as expected. I did test it before hand to get comfortable with the capabilities.

Most of these devices use DisplayLink technology and work in conjunction with the GPU in the laptop.
Innomedia  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 3:42:30 AM(UTC)
Innomedia

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 10 post(s)
r@wisla

Have a look at this "magical" product http://www.i-tec-europe.eu/?t=3&v=279

We have some of them and they are in use for different purposes, especially for use on the road. You can simply add two additional HD monitors to your notebooks via HDMI/DVI. Means you can use any existing monitor or purchase the best choice for your particular needs. It enhances your system with additional ports. You will have three displays available for applications and you can still use the external HDMI of your notebook for VMIX program output. Works brilliant and can be recommended at no risk.

Another suggestion could be this http://www.startech.com/Server-...Rack-or-Cabinet~RKLCDBKT

You simply screw a small display or TV of your choice (with VESA mount) to this device and it is integrated in your rigging case. Have a look at the gallery on Startech website to get an impression. This one here is adjustable but there is a non-adjustable version, too.

Regards
Karsten
r@wisla  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 1:07:04 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Thanks Kelvin. Especially for the DisplayLink term I didn't know :)

I saw this AOC screen too, but it's not available in my country.

What did you display on this screen? vMix window, Program output or something else? Did you also try to test it as your first and only one screen?

Karsten, thanks, but my goal is to use one, not big, lightweight LCD screen with normal PC. I also consider puting 17'' HD laptop screen + controller from China + power supply in custom case. In this thread I would like to focus on USB LCD screen impact on vMix & GPU performance.
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 3:25:34 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I ran the vMix window on the main laptop screen. I used the secondary display mainly for the Livestream Producer program and its audio mixer window. Both of my screens were quite low resolution at 1368 x 768 so the second display gave me more real estate to work with. It was only a 2 camera shoot so I could have done it without the extra screen, but I had it and and worked well for me.

I also use a DisplayLink adapter at work for a 3rd screen. It works well most of the time, but on occasion it will freeze up and I have to unplug it to get it to work again.