logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pjordan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:16:42 PM(UTC)
pjordan

Groups: Registered

I am trialing vMix to see if it will work for us. We need to have two external outputs (which I have working) showing different content - which I don't have working.

Is all vMix able to do is duplicate what is in the Output onto both external displays?

Thank you for any help.

Paul
indiffy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:25:29 PM(UTC)
indiffy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
No. Settings - output - set each output to whatever you want. It's output (which you're already seeing on one screen), preview, multiview, and all your inputs. You can use overlays cleverly. You can also use blackmagic devices to get more different outputs.
tdurhamjr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 10:36:08 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Paul,
As Indiffy stated there are actually several ways to accomplish this. Are you wanting to output 2 different outputs to record??

You have the option of outputting through "External" and you can also output using the "FullScreen" option. On the "FullScreen" settings you can specify what you want to go to your extra monitors. If you had something like a BlackMagic Hyperdeck Shuttle then you can run the monitor out into the Shuttle to record.

Let us know some details on what you are trying to achieve and we will try to help out in more detail. There is certainly lots of flexibility with this in vMix.

Tim
pjordan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 11:42:30 AM(UTC)
pjordan

tdurhamjr wrote:
Paul,
As Indiffy stated there are actually several ways to accomplish this. Are you wanting to output 2 different outputs to record??

You have the option of outputting through "External" and you can also output using the "FullScreen" option. On the "FullScreen" settings you can specify what you want to go to your extra monitors. If you had something like a BlackMagic Hyperdeck Shuttle then you can run the monitor out into the Shuttle to record.

Let us know some details on what you are trying to achieve and we will try to help out in more detail. There is certainly lots of flexibility with this in vMix.

Tim

I am using the AJA io4k and was hoping to use two of the SDI ports to show different content on two different projectors.

During testing, at one point I had content A through External (via SDI) and content B through External 2 (hdmi) - or so I thought. It appeared that no matter what I did, what settings I switched, that the HDMI feed I thought was on External 2, was the content controlled by the preview/program windows, and the content on External (SDI) was only available to be swapped via the External 2 menu behind the Cog for External (at bottom).

No matter what settings we had, HDMI was always the one controlled by preview/program, even settings said the opposite. It was quite frustrating.

We ended up renting a video switch for the second projector, but I'd still like to get this working with vMix and the io4k for future projects. With vMix and the io4k totaling $2700, it seems like it should run two projectors with standard bells and whistles.

From what I understand (now) about fullscreen is that it only works with ports on the systems video card. That is fine for a desktop box - we took mine to the event and it has 4 ports on it. But our intentions is to run this via a laptop, which will likely only have one hdmi port (or similar).

I am really disappointed that we cannot open up more than one set of "preview/program" sets for control of output. vMix can literally control another external, but only for "blind cuts". Seems incomplete.

I think I am using vMix differently than most because a lot of advice I get is centered around recording. We don't record anything - we need to live produce at an event on projectors only.

Thank you two for your advice so far.

tdurhamjr  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:12:36 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
pjordan,
I think I understand what you are trying to do. I am going to show you the steps I would do and since I have no idea on your vMix experience I will show all steps.

I have attached screen shots (zip file) for each step. For my demo I am using a laptop with vMix 4K. I am using the FULLSCREEN function to accomplish this since you are only wanting to output 2 different video signals to 2 different projectors.

I have 3 monitors in this. 1) Laptop Screen 2) Gateway Monitor 3) Lilliput Monitor . I have a Mini-Port TO DVI cable going to the Gateway and a HDMI>HDMI going to the Lilliput. As long as your computer/laptop will support 3 monitors then you can do this as well using projectors instead of monitors.

Step 1. Verify that Monitors are "extended" and not duplicated in your monitor config.
Step 2. In vMix click on SETTINGS > DISPLAY. Then click on DISPLAY 1. In the drop down you menu, you have to assign which monitor number you want to be paired with DISPLAY1 in vMix. The original config settings show the number of each monitor. So you will see that I have DISPLAY 1 set to Monitor 2.
Do the same thing for DISPLAY 2. In my example I have DISPLAY 2 set to Monitor 3.

Step 3. You now click on the "dropdown" arrow on FULLSCREEN to tell vMix what you want sent to each Display. In my example I set DISPLAY 1 to OUTPUT. I set DISPLAY 2 to INPUT 2.

You will see that you can pass what ever you want to the DISPLAY 1 and 2. You can sent the Output, Preview, Multiview, or any active Input.

Step 4. Click on the FULLSCREEN button to begin sending the video to each Monitor (or projector).

You will notice in the Picture I took of the Monitors and Laptop, the "Output screen in Vmix is on my middle monitor (#2) and INPUT2 is on the small monitor on the left (#3).

I am sure there are other ways to do it but this is how I would do it.

Tim
File Attachment(s):
3 Monitor Setup.zip (2,125kb) downloaded 68 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
K16pro on 12/13/2018(UTC)