logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 10:34:16 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin & Members,

Over the last 8 days, we have been running some extensive testing of vMix replays at local sports games. This was a great chance for us to test and understand workflows, system limitations if any, bugs, glitches, ideas, thoughts, feature requests, GUI layout etc etc.

Our setup was:
Single vMix PC (6 Core beast, about 12mths old) Windows 7, recording to 2 x SSDs @ 50Mbps, 3 x Canon HD cameras, 1 x GoPro camera, 2 x LCD monitors (1 x vMix main interface, 1 x vMix replays interface)
We had 1 x Director/Switcher, 1 x replay operator beside director, 3 x camera operators

Well, all I can say is Amazing!!!! - This software rocks!
In its current state/version, vMix replays is just simply brilliant, outstanding and amazing!!!

We were able to run replays from any camera, from any angle, single or multiple events, fast motion, slow motion and any other trick we could think of.

The ability to create clips for replay so fast, cue them up and play out to program was so amazing. We were just shocked. We felt like broadcast pros!!! We got better and better each time.

Things became simple, easy and effortless once we all got our heads around Live mode vs Recorded modes. The workflow just became so so simple. Understanding live vs recorded mode is key and also understanding when you can create events based on each of those modes. Have keyboard shortcuts is key. We did not test with the contour shuttlepro. I am going to wait to see if Martin can offer 3rd party support for JL Cooper ES-SloMo J USB controller. Maybe in the next version hint hint :) The keyboard control was fine.

I only have two suggestion at this stage.
1. Maybe add a recorded mode button/indicator (maybe green) beside the live button. Just another quick indicator to know for sure what mode you are in.
2. Would love an option to make outputs A & B to run independent of each other.

This version is good to go as far as we are concerned, of course fix any bugs first. I have a list of new features we would like added but these can come later.

Well done Martin. We are very impressed and happy with vMix replay. Cant wait for final release version!

Bryan and team at HighViewSport
tnorrell  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 6:42:29 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm stoked that you're having good luck when the new version! I have a basketball conference coming up, and am looking forward to using some of the new features myself.

I have a few questions for you, please.

1) When you used your goPro as a source, did you go HDMI directly into your vMix, or did you convert to SDI? I started to play with my GoPro tonight and the signal is being sent as 1080p60. The problem is that my decklink cards don't support 1080p60, and I don't know how to down res the signal. That leads me to ask, what video capture card(s) are you using?

2) You said you had 1x Dir and 1x Replay. Who did you assign responsibility of title/score changes to?

3) What graphics card are you using, and did you notice any FPS impact while using replay?

Thanks.
admin  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 6:42:38 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Bryan,

Thankyou so much for your positive feedback. I am currently working on an update to fix a few bugs
and also add some extra shortcuts if operators want to directly mark in /out in live or recorded mode without switching modes.

The green recorded mode button is a great idea so I am looking at a way to squeeze it into the current interface.
The challenge at the moment is a lot of buttons go missing when the docked controller is too small on the screen, so I will
need to work out which buttons should be hidden when it shrinks.
This won't affect those using a second monitor, but it just goes to show the number of different ways this will potentially be used!

If you have any bug reports let me know as well, some may have slipped through the cracks if they have already been posted.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 6:49:01 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

tnorrell wrote:

1) When you used your goPro as a source, did you go HDMI directly into your vMix, or did you convert to SDI? I started to play with my GoPro tonight and the signal is being sent as 1080p60. The problem is that my decklink cards don't support 1080p60, and I don't know how to down res the signal. That leads me to ask, what video capture card(s) are you using?

I will provide some feedback on this point as we have been testing the gopro as well.
Strangely enough it shows up on our blackmagic router as 1080p60 when in reality it appears to be 1080i59.94

Not sure why that is, but at least on AJA hardware the signal coming in works well at 1080i59.94.

All the documentation I can find indicates 1080p30 is the maximum the gopro output supports.

This was with a GoPro Hero 3 Black.

Len56  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 1:31:12 PM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
tnorrell,

I have a GoPro Hero3 + Black Edition, I have set up my gopro to work with my ATEM TVS.

What I did was to go into the settings of the gopro and set the video resolution to 1080 and the FPS to 50FPS, what you do after that with your field of view and other setting is up to you.
I use a HDMI cable strait into my ATEM TVS. I also have an Intensity Pro card, both ATEM TVS and the Intensity Pro card are set to 1080i 50, I'm in the UK and we use PAL here so we don't have the problems that NTSC countries have setting up.

Try to make sure both the capture card and gopro are using the same resolution and FPS.
tnorrell  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 4:37:05 PM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm very sorry that I hijacked this thread. I suggest that we take any/all gopro related issues to another thread. Let's keep this one to a celebration of HighViewSports success, and comments/questions about Martin's achievements with replay.
HighViewSport  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2015 4:50:09 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

tnorrell,

Quote:
1) When you used your GoPro as a source, did you go HDMI directly into your vMix, or did you convert to SDI? I started to play with my GoPro tonight and the signal is being sent as 1080p60. The problem is that my decklink cards don't support 1080p60, and I don't know how to down res the signal. That leads me to ask, what video capture card(s) are you using?

2) You said you had 1x Dir and 1x Replay. Who did you assign responsibility of title/score changes to?

3) What graphics card are you using, and did you notice any FPS impact while using replay?

1. Not sure what the guys did to set up the GoPro but what I can say is we were having flickering issues from the GoPro during the production. In the end we stopped using it and went to another Canon camera. Our production format was 1080i50

2 We did not run score graphics on these tests. The next few games we will run a full production with the same setup but including a graphics operator sitting beside director and replay operator. The graphics will not be an issue to us. Our main focus was to test the replay system.

3. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti. The system is about 12 months old now but it rocks!

Martin,

No new bugs that we came across to report.
Glad you like the idea of Green button. Thanks.
Also love the idea you are adding shortcuts if operators want to directly mark in /out in live or recorded mode without switching modes. This will be BRILLIANT!!!!

Keep up the great work Martin. As I said, this software ROCKS!!!
HighViewSport  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:55:57 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

admin wrote:
I am currently working on an update to fix a few bugs, and also add some extra shortcuts if operators want to directly mark in /out in live or recorded mode without switching modes.

Just wondering when the next update will be Martin? I am planning to film some upcoming game to do more testing but would rather wait if new update is not to far away.
Cheers Bryan
admin  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:58:56 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I'm testing the latest update now, shouldn't be more than a day or so away.
Digitalson  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 11:04:37 PM(UTC)
Digitalson

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
How did u get to edit replays while the director was switching? Was it set on two different computers? And in the video world 30 fps is actually 29.97 ,cause video is .01% slower than real time,,,thanks ...I have had issues editing in and out times on replay events