logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 1:59:10 AM(UTC)
chris

Groups: Registered

Hello friends,

If you know that Apple Mac mini(which has two thunderbolt so I can use two BM ultra studio mini recorder) will work for 2 HD camera vmix system or not then please guide me. wants to build budget system for church.
jip  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 3:22:53 AM(UTC)
jip

Estonia

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I think the main issue might arise with the integrated GPU. The more powerful versions of Mac Mini could be sufficient on CPU department. Perhaps someone else could confirm this?

In that case, a 13" retina Macbook Pro would work as well.
thanks 1 user thanked jip for this useful post.
chris on 2/15/2015(UTC)
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:03:55 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
chris wrote:
Hello friends,

If you know that Apple Mac mini(which has two thunderbolt so I can use two BM ultra studio mini recorder) will work for 2 HD camera vmix system or not then please guide me. wants to build budget system for church.

I can confirm I have had two BM Mini Recorders running at once on a Macbook Pro 15" Quad Core under Bootcamp/Windows 7.

However I found the BM Software unpredictable. Problem 1, both mini recorders have to be connected before turning on the computer. Problem 2, sometimes my computer would only see 1 BM Mini recorder. Seemed to only happen when I had a live event to stream. Every single time when in my testing area, it would work fine with both.

Anyway I gave up on trying to run two BM Mini Recorders from one computer. Mac or PC. Now I only use one BM Mini Recorder and use Magewell capture devices, while more expensive. They are more "plug and play" rather my BM experience has been "plug and pray". BM Mini Recorders and GoPros are not always friendly either.

Maybe BM have better drivers, but two at once was where it worked "sometimes" for me. I tried many versions of drivers.

As for a Mac Mini, I can't comment. I have a MBP 13" Dual Core which had about the same power as a Mac Mini and quickly switched to the MBP 15" Quad Core because the extra CPU cores and Iris Pro 5200 really helped with several desktop captures and up to about 3 x 1080i50 cameras + a couple of desktop captures I've had running at once outputting to a single FMLE 5mbit stream. I don't think the hardware can really do 4 cameras comfortably (while streaming, it could with an external encoder). Using a mixture of a single BM Mini Recorder, 2 x Magewell USB 3 capture devices.

I like to keep the hardware < 80% peak cpu.. in fact around 40-60% usage is really my target any higher bad stuff usually starts to happen.

My $0.02, maybe go for a Gigabyte Brix i5 quad core (if you need small, it's not as small as a Mac Mini) and 2 x Magewell usb 3 capture devices. Or just a good larger PC if you are on a budget as you can change it around as your needs grow, spare parts are cheap/possible and you can use PCIe capture cards or USB 3 capture devices. If you really feel the need get a dual thunderbolt motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com.au/microsite/306/images/thunderbolt.html)
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
chris on 2/19/2015(UTC)