logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bardos  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:11:15 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
To the vMix team, ...is there a way to have a GUI where the Preview Monitor could be disabled......I ask this as sometimes we hardly use it.....When I used to use vidblaster, I could work without having a Preview monitor, and in vMix, since the input monitors are as large as they are, and can be made large enough to see focus, if that option could be integrated...It will also free up some desktop real estate....also, when we switch, and are using cameras only, no lower thirds, this would be great just having only one monitor to look at.....

Thanks..
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 11:07:26 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Bardos,
This/similar discussions/requests goes way back.

I think that the way vMix's GUI is designed it is not an easy task to free some screen estate this way.
Convinced that Martin is aware of the need/idea, and will consider it if the GUI changes in the (far) future.
Guess we have to live with the way it is (which is awesome any way ).
Bardos  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:59:57 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

I agree, but I wish there was a way to disable it like in Vidblaster....there is hardly any need for it since vMix has developed so quickly, and the keyboard shortcuts work so much faster....I use the "Z - M" for direct switch to output, "A-L for a straight cut to output, and "Q-P" to send to preview....so, with just an output window, there is much more to on my desktop.....not only that, because I seldom use the "Preview", it now becomes a distraction as it changes images during transitions.......

Hope Martin and his team would add this feature for those of us who know the benefits of it....

Something that just came into my mind.....if the design does not allow for disabling or removing, maybe Martin could make it possible to use it in social setups, where IRC and such can be displayed here, thus disabling the 'Preview' of inputs, and using that window, and the option of being able to switch to it, or just as a Social preview, or as a titler edit window....or as a pop up window for settings etc....
cutter07  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 2:06:02 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
+1
Bardos  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:38:51 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

I was just encouraged to download the new vidblaster 4.05 to test.....it is very much lighter on the CPU, so I was able to run some tests on a low powered PC....I wish that the vMix team would take a look at how they apply the module style setup....I like this, as it gives the user the opportunity to setup his/ her own layout .....the choice of the modules needed, placed anywhere on the desktop, and with the ability to set modules to the size he/she wants......In a layout I used to use, when I used vidblaster, I had the camera modules larger than the player modules, so I could tel the difference at a glance.....I could place the camera modules together, the player modules together etc.....making a clean clear layout ...This ability would be very welcome in vMix....

I do not use vidblaster for some reasons, but did a check on its CPU useage, which was a surprise to see how light it is....vMix is much better, actually the best out there, but the GUI of vidbalster is more practical.....I can create any style layout I want, with or without a Preview window.....move windows around for my comfort....add modules as needed....use the Default look or change the look to please my taste.....

Bardos attached the following image(s):
vidblaster a.jpg (189kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2015 1:15:50 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Bardos

I kind of like your idea of using the "Preview Screen" area as a multi-use area for those who don't have an impending need for previewing, it could be a very practical use of 'screen estate'.
One of the biggest adjustments to make when changing softwares is coming to terms with the GUI. It is very easy to fall in love with one that is highly configurable to suit ones own personal wants and likes. However, there are certain "standards" that have been established over the course of time in the broadcast industry, and the "Preview" screen is one of them, in fact, it is a 'premium' feature in the software you mention, I know it's not always a necessity in many situations and in fact can appear to be a nuisance at times but the reality is that it has proven to be a "must have" in a broadcast environment so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.
Just my thoughts.

Ice
Bardos  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2015 6:27:23 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

I am not talking about dismissing the 'Preview' window, I am only suggesting that the ability to give users a choice, as sometimes, yes, some users need to have the 'Preview', but most times, it is not needed, and can be very annoying.....The disabling or multi-use of the 'Preview' window would be great ....Personally, I do not need it for regular work...I only use it when I have a 'List', where I have a short cut to toggle the clips, and I have it set to do that in the 'Preview' window....works great....I know it may be difficult to make floating windows at this stage, but if the vMix team could create a version like this, giving users an option of fixed or floating windows, I believe that would be a great idea......I have used Tricasters set up with just an output screen.....many times the company I freelance with set up that way....