logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
admin  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:18:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
A new release of the vMix 15 Instant Replay can be downloaded below:

Download 15.0.0.40
http://www.vmixhd.com/download/vmix15.40.exe

Help
http://www.vmixhd.com/replayhelp/

Below is an overview of the major changes. There have also been a lot of small fixes
and improvements that have not been mentioned here.

New
* A number of new shortcuts have been added. See the Help page above for more information.
* Previous/Next buttons added to UI to jump between items in an events list while it is playing.
* Parts of the UI will be hidden when only one channel is being used.
* In Replay Settings -> Events tab there is an option to add PreRoll and PostRoll padding to every event created.
* New search box added to allow filtering of an events list
* Pin button will now re-dock the Instant Replay Controller window when clicked
* Camera names have been added to events list columns

Changes
* Live camera previews will now be displayed in Instant Replay monitors when in Live mode.
* Each camera angle in an event can be selected separately and will be played in sequence when clicking Play Events
* Text editing is now down directly from each column by right clicking.

Fixes
* Added additional checks for source camera format. See system requirements on Help page for details on what is supported.
* Fixed typos in error messages
* Fixed error in ReplaySetLastEventText
* Other general bug fixes

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
marcio275 on 2/11/2015(UTC)
doggy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:59:28 AM(UTC)
doggy

Groups: Registered
Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Nice

little GUI problem with the "Live" button

doggy attached the following image(s):
Gui.png (8kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
doggy  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 6:04:51 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Like the filtering of the event names
Would an option a selected name of the dropbox be given to a new created delayclip be possible ?

What is the workflow to adjust times of an eventclip in the list (edit an event)?
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 6:34:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

There is a minimum supported width for the docked replay, I will need to look at
preventing it from shrinking too far.

To edit text on any event, right click the camera angle column and you can select from the dropdown list or type in a new entry.
Preset entries can be entered in the Replay Settings -> Tags

There are two ways to adjust times:

1. Click and drag left or right the In or Out numbers in the list
2. Create one or more shortcut keys to move the selected event In or Out points by a number of frames
Rinsky  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 10:04:34 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Wow Martin, you're really quick with your updates.

The UI is getting better and better.

As doggy already stated, the Live button needs to be placed a little bit more on the right-hand side, when docked.

I like that it's now possible to jump to and watch the live video in the big windows, but it's kinda weird, that it isn't the actual replay a and b channel anymore. It would be more intuitive if that video wouldn't be a virtual copy of the input channels, but rather the latest frames of the recorded videodata, so I can pause and rewind it when something happens.

As you already stated, if someone only wants to see the live inputs in a bigger window, then either buy a bigger monitor or use the multiview output for that.

What I meant was the ability to jump to live, but without using the pause, rewind, slowmotion features. When I click on a created event, while the Live button is active, I can't even adjust the event on the second monitor and that means that I can't create a -10second of the live input while adjusting older events. I hope you understand what I mean.

Regards,
Patrick
admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 10:07:26 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Patrick,

I'm confused because the live button does exactly what you're asking, just in a much much, much much, (much much!) more performance friendly way.
If you want to move back through video, unclick the Live button just as you would anyway.

Perhaps you want the Live button to automatically turn off when you click an event or move the position bar.
That is possible, but it will need the consensus of everybody here.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Rinsky  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 10:27:13 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Nice, you're even pretty quick with your replies.

I think you've got me wrong.

I understand that it's much (much, much!) more performance friendy this way, but from a usabilty standpoint it would be way better if I could pause, slow down and rewind the video within that window (Live button should be automatically turn black when doing any of that and also when clicking on an event) and the video should pause, etc. at exact the same point I just watched it in that window.

And the 2 big video windows in the instant replay controller should always be the same as the Replay A and Replay B channel, otherwise it's too confusing.

I hope I explained it good enough this time and that someone else is giving his opinion on this topic.
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 11:00:50 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I haven't had a chance to 'play' with the latest update (it's still downloading for me) so my comments may be premature.
The biggest issue for me was that the replay A & B monitors continued playing from the last out point of the 'replay clip'.
I found this very distracting and confusing, I would prefer that it stopped automatically after the it played.
Jumping to 'Live' is advantageous for monitoring if there is nothing being worked on in the Replay window, but turning off 'automatically' once an event is created is preferred.

Again, this is one reason why I liked the 'Zeplay' approach where all monitors are the same size with live inputs across the top and replay outputs underneath, you always have an instant reference point to 'live'.
The 'Jump to Live' feature, in this case merely confirms visually that you are working from 'live'.

Ice
admin  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 11:15:22 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Playing events has stopped automatically for a while so maybe you've found a bug or are on an older version.

The key thing that came up during testing was knowing for sure exactly what video was being used in a new event.
The showing of the live cameras when in Live mode in the monitors solves this issue and keeping the replay footage
in the input previews themselves, gives the switcher operator a reference of what is being queued up next.

This dual approach solves the need to keep making live events whilst simultaneously being able to queue up an event for the switcher operator.

Anyway we are at a feature lock now, so only small user interface improvements and bug fixes here on out!

Also keep in mind there are may different and sometimes conflicting requirements for how the Instant Replay should work
my hope is to get it close enough to what most users need, whilst understanding that there are unique performance challenges to doing this on
an ordinary PC.

It helps to keep in perspective that this is a $500 addon whilst the competing solutions mentioned are $10k+

Regards,

Martin
vMix

IceStream  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 12:40:42 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Martin

I am absolutely blown away with what you have accomplished so far!
The feature set that is available is outstanding, as you have indicated, just about everything that those expensive 'stand alone' replay systems can do, can be accomplished within vMix.
The 'Live' button is an adequate solution for me (is there a shortcut key to be able to jump back and forth?)
The only change I would suggest is that it automatically reverts back to 'Replay' mode whenever an event is selected or the timeline is moved (i.e. whenever the operator needs to work in the window)

In reference to possible 'bug', the replay playhead still continues playing after the 'clip' has finished playing to output and transitioned back to live switching in vMix 15.40.
This is not an 'Output' issue, just an annoying distraction in the Replay Monitor. I have to manually hit the pause button to stop the playhead. It would be preferable if this happened automatically by default whenever the 'final' outpoint was reached of selected 'play events'.
It is also somewhat confusing trying to cue up or adjust in and out points if the playhead is still playing.
So I am not sure if this is a 'bug' on my system or if I have missed a setting somewhere.

All-in-all though, I am very impressed!

Ice
doggy  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 12:50:09 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
1. Click and drag left or right the In or Out numbers in the list

Super !!
doggy  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 1:00:23 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:

It helps to keep in perspective that this is a $500 addon

Fully understand though can't find where various options/versions was mentioned .
As in will basically only PRO (4K) have this addon or say a HD version a one camera limition as I suspect for many this initialy will be more than adequate.
Hoping for having all options one day but for now ...

Thank you
Rinsky  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 3:32:27 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

I don't think that this kind of dual approach works well in a stressful live production. It's a little bit confusing when the replay operator doesn't see the actual replay footage on his monitor. I still think that channel A and B should be the same as the two big windows in the Instant Replay Controller, regardless of whether it's a recorded event or the live footage.

How about adding shortcuts (and buttons next to the live button) for creating 5 sec, 10 sec events from the Live mode, even if you're working in the recorded mode? That way you can finish what you're currently working on, but also create an event if something important happens in the meantime. I think that would be the best solution.

And please make it possible to watch/edit an event on the replay channels when clicking on it once, even when Live mode is on. It's one click too much if we have to deselect the Live button first.

When playing an eventlist, I often get confused which event is currently playing. I found the solution of the first version better, where the bar was filled within the event in the list and not on the timebar.

One final question:

What's the difference between "Play Events" and "Play Selected", if I haven't overlooked something then they activate the same action. I think you can drop the "Play Selected" function.
IceStream  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:00:35 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

I generally like most of the changes that have been made so far (from what I have been able to test, although, I may be pushing the limits of my 'underpowered' system as I have experienced performance issues).
I agree with Rinsky on many points.
I think you have to differentiate between 'Live' view and 'Live' mark In & Out points.
As it is currently set-up in vMix 15.40, you cannot be working in 'Replay' mode (adjusting and/or cueing) and create a new event from the 'Live' position of the record head like you could in vMix 15.35 (with buttons or shortcuts) AFAIK...
As indicated before, the 'Live' view is not as important to me in the 'Replay' monitors since the input already exists, it's just confusing and distracting that it plays on and is larger than the live monitor screen. Being able to view the 'Live' action on the 'Replay' screen is a nice option but not at the expense of the functionality of creating new events "Live".
I also preferred the first version playback on the event timeline (brown on orange) over the current green playback overlay (not that it's bad, just preferred the look).

I am not sure I understand the purpose or functionality of pre-roll and post-roll padding, perhaps you can explain a little more how to use it.

Ice
HighViewSport  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:05:32 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Wow martin, I love that fact you added the live large window in separate replay controller. Brilliant.

Your question to Patrick was:
"Perhaps you want the Live button to automatically turn off when you click an event or move the position bar."

Absolute Yes please!!! Automatically turn off when you click on an event. This will move that window into

I would suggest to leave Output B as the live video so the separate operator can still see live action! The live button can be used if the operator wants to turn off live and work with output B

Regards,
Bryan
HighViewSport  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:13:02 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ Martin

In reference to possible 'bug', the replay playhead still continues playing after the 'clip' has finished playing to output and transitioned back to live switching in vMix 15.40.
This is not an 'Output' issue, just an annoying distraction in the Replay Monitor. I have to manually hit the pause button to stop the playhead. It would be preferable if this happened automatically by default whenever the 'final' outpoint was reached of selected 'play events'.
It is also somewhat confusing trying to cue up or adjust in and out points if the playhead is still playing.
So I am not sure if this is a 'bug' on my system or if I have missed a setting somewhere.

I find the same thing. My system is powerful enough so not a system thing. Possibly a bug.
HighViewSport  
#17 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:15:17 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

How do you do a post that shows those quote phrases with dotted lines around the text that user do?
doggy  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:38:33 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:

I am not sure I understand the purpose or functionality of pre-roll and post-roll padding, perhaps you can explain a little more how to use it.

let's say you have specific performances you want to make an event of by triggering at a specific moment. (rather than guessing 3 seconds behind it happening when triggered for 5 secs) and be sure you have x-seconds before and/or after it.
for example a runner taking a hurdle

also makes it possible in various sports and other concepts to trigger remotely (a starting gate for example or other sensors)and be sure to have enough footage before and after the trigger rather than guessing time :-)

Its a nice feature to have especially in indiviual sporting events , but also in teamevents ( like footbal etc)

Would have prefered it differently but its a good start as it is and starts getting close to video coaching tagging ( in coaching what is missing is what vMix has = instant replay included rather than only tagging tons of parts of a live stream only. All I can say the way video coaching soft does it it is very flexible and powerfull to create tons of events and quickly retrieve them (name, category type of trigger, filtered on type, player name, gamefase etc) .

HighViewSport  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:38:56 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Oh, OK, I see now what others are saying.

Seems you can't create a new event from the moment you need while not in live mode. That is not good or ideal.

I just tested. I created a new event (corner Kick) in live mode, then turned off live and cued up and played the replay. All ok so far............Replay playing out
Now, during the replay, NOT in live mode, I see another action happen which was a goal. Great. I click -20 sec button.

This did NOT create a new 20 sec event of that goal.

We really need to be able to create new event at any moment from the actual live game regardless of if we are in live or replay modes.

Hope that makes sense.

doggy  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 5:41:17 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
How do you do a post that shows those quote phrases with dotted lines around the text that user do?

copy the text you want to be quoted, start your reply post, click on the 4th icon form left on top ( the one that says quote when you hover over it ) and paste between quote and slash quote