logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raza_uk  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:27:00 PM(UTC)
raza_uk

Groups: Registered

Hi Guys

Thinking of replacing our Tricaster Studio with Vmix. I have been doing trial of the software and found it amazing.

Instead of web streaming we do TV live on Air via Teradek SDI Encoder to our MCR. I am thinking to use Vmix with Atem hardware switcher and was hoping if you guys can share comments on my server spec

This is the Spec I am going to Build for Vmix

Processor : i7-5930k CPU
Memory: 16GB RAM
Motherboard: Asus X99
Harddrive: 250 GB SSD + 3TB HD SATA
Graphics: Nvidia 2GB GTX760
Input Card: Magewell Quad SDI Capture Card
Output Card: Blackmagic Decklink Minimonitor
fordry  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:44:15 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I mean, its awesome, but its overkill. just saying...

Graphics is probably good because of quad input but you don't REALLY need that CPU unless you are doing other stuff besides Vmix. An i5 would handle this with just as much ease. If you wanted to save some money you could go with a non 2011 socket setup and do everything you say you are wanting to do. But if you just want the best of the best this is pretty much it without going dual CPU.
thanks 1 user thanked fordry for this useful post.
raza_uk on 3/6/2015(UTC)
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 1:28:14 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Sounds like a nice setup. If you ever plan to use the new Replay features of vMix 15, you will need the beefier hardware like you described. Enjoy your system.
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
raza_uk on 2/4/2015(UTC)
raza_uk  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:07:34 PM(UTC)
raza_uk

fordry wrote:

Graphics is probably good because of quad input but you don't REALLY need that CPU unless you are doing other stuff besides Vmix. An i5 would handle this with just as much ease. If you wanted to save some money you could go with a non 2011 socket setup and do everything you say you are wanting to do. But if you just want the best of the best this is pretty much it without going dual CPU.

Yes it's a bit overkill but I would like to be on the safe side. I have never tried Magewell but heard some good praises. Do you guys think Magewell is a good option?

One more thing have you guys faced audio delay from mixer? In your setup. I have not tried external audio mixer but I have been told that there is a delay from mixer as audio comes first than video via SDI so I need some kind a audio delay in between
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:33:28 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

For the Audio Inputs there is a delay setting you can use to sync up with the video.

I have the Magewell Quad SDI card and it has performed flawlessly.
raza_uk on 3/6/2015(UTC)
raza_uk  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:59:58 PM(UTC)
raza_uk

Kelvin wrote:
For the Audio Inputs there is a delay setting you can use to sync up with the video.

I have the Magewell Quad SDI card and it has performed flawlessly.

Nice.

Do you use external audio mixer and did you face any delay. Or which mixer do you recommend?
Kelvin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:25:05 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

I have an analog mixer that connects to the line-in input on the motherboard. Any analog mixer would be the same in this situation. I haven't used any of the newer USB mixers that are out there. I do have a Presonus Firepod FireWire audio interface that is very high quality sound with low noise, but I haven't used it with vMix. For my productions the announcers aren't on-screen that much so I don't do anything to adjust the audio delay.

raza_uk on 2/5/2015(UTC)
Speegs  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:47:31 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
raza_uk wrote:
fordry wrote:
Yes it's a bit overkill but I would like to be on the safe side. I have never tried Magewell but heard some good praises. Do you guys think Magewell is a good option?

Short Answer "Yes" :)
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
raza_uk on 3/6/2015(UTC)
RaD  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:45:36 AM(UTC)
RaD

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We have -

3 x Magewell USB HDMI
1 x Magewell USB SDI
1 x Magewell PCI-e 4 port HDMI

We have so much more joy with the Magewells then the Blackmagic devices. The software for the BM is garbage and the Magewells are plug n play. We did have a few issues with the length of the USB3 cables but I sourced shorter ones off eBay and they are rock solid since.
thanks 1 user thanked RaD for this useful post.
raza_uk on 3/6/2015(UTC)
tdurhamjr  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 9:15:24 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
raza_uk wrote:
Hi Guys

Thinking of replacing our Tricaster Studio with Vmix. I have been doing trial of the software and found it amazing.

Instead of web streaming we do TV live on Air via Teradek SDI Encoder to our MCR. I am thinking to use Vmix with Atem hardware switcher and was hoping if you guys can share comments on my server spec

Raza,
I am running your exact setup except my mb is the X99 Deluxe and I am running 4 250gb drives in Raid 10, with a couple of extra SDD drives for storage and replay.
I run 2 BM Decklink Quads with no issues. I have never heard anything bad on the Magewell PCIe card. The BM cards run VERY hot but I now have a lot of fans to keep everything cool :) Here is my component list. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZgNm7P

So the bottom line is that setup should carry you forward at least 2-3 years if not more.

Tim
thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
raza_uk on 3/6/2015(UTC)
brunim  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 7:46:18 PM(UTC)
brunim

tdurhamjr wrote:
raza_uk wrote:
Hi Guys

Raza,
I am running your exact setup except my mb is the X99 Deluxe and I am running 4 250gb drives in Raid 10, with a couple of extra SDD drives for storage and replay.
I run 2 BM Decklink Quads with no issues. I have never heard anything bad on the Magewell PCIe card. The BM cards run VERY hot but I now have a lot of fans to keep everything cool :) Here is my component list. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZgNm7P

So the bottom line is that setup should carry you forward at least 2-3 years if not more.

Tim

Do you have 2x Decklink Quads running on this computer? I'm about to make a system like this so i can have 8 inputs and it's good to have something to base on.
Possibly later if i want to have 10 inputs, can i add an Intensity Shuttle USB3 and a Ultrasudio Mini Recorder Thunderbolt? Do you know if it will work properly?
Thanks
tdurhamjr  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:30:24 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
brunim wrote:

Do you have 2x Decklink Quads running on this computer? I'm about to make a system like this so i can have 8 inputs and it's good to have something to base on.
Possibly later if i want to have 10 inputs, can i add an Intensity Shuttle USB3 and a Ultrasudio Mini Recorder Thunderbolt? Do you know if it will work properly?
Thanks

I am running 2 Decklink quads in my PC (total of 8 inputs). Something that others have mentioned on some other posts, is that the Decklink Quad only supports 720p 60 or 1080p 30. I only stream in 720p so it is a non issue for me. If you are going to need to capture 1080p 60fps for any reason, then you will want to go with the Magewell cards. I really like the DL Quads because you have 4 inputs and 4 outputs (but you can't use the input/output of same channel simultaneously. You can do 3 in, 1 out/ 2 in and 2 out, etc).

I can also add a Magewell HDMI>USB adapter or Logitech Webcam as well on same PC with no issues. I have an Intensity Shuttle USB3 but I MUCH prefer the Magewell HDMI>USB3 adapter. I don't even use the Intensity Shuttle anymore. I don't have the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder so I can't say anything about that.

Tim

thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
brunim on 3/18/2015(UTC)