logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:42:38 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I am so so impressed by this replay system. This is going to be fantastic on final release.
Have been testing this morning now that I can see the new display windows in separate replay view.

It has occurred to me that the new quad live views for each camera are just far too small to watch for replay action. We really need to see a larger view.

My suggestion is use the live button! Let me explain.

Start session by starting recoding.
Then hit the live button. This will bring the current selected camera angle to output A large window (top left).
As i'm the operator, I can now see a larger window of the live picture from that camera (say camera 1 high shot of soccer game)

When a goal happens, I set the replay as normal (say using -20 sec button)
I do a single click on the new goal event
Output A changes to show the new event and has gone away from being live
I cue up the replay ready for director to switch to replay and presto. Director now switches to relay in slow mo

When all action is finished from that goal. I hit live again and Output A goes back to viewing live action in large view waiting for next event to be marked.

We should also have the option to select any camera angle once we hit the live button.

Hope this makes sense.
Bryan

HighViewSport  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:52:36 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Martin, what do you think?

Thanks
admin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:25:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4145 time(s) in 1490 post(s)
You can drag down the monitors window to increase the size of the previews. At its largest size on a 1920x1080 monitor
the input previews are actually larger than the default input preview size in vMix.

I think switching around the monitors based on live etc is going to be too complicated to manage.
At least for me it is disorienting to have things move around constantly.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
HighViewSport  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 4:43:28 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Ok, thanks Martin. Will try change the size of them now.

I suggested this workflow from my two years experience with Newtek 3play system. Thats how they do it and I found it easy to understand. Very quick and simple. Not to say you have to do things like them. :)

Will try again now.
Bryan

Rinsky  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 10:12:26 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I would also appreciate a ReplayJumpLive shortcut or something like that, because I'd rather watch the live game (almost live game...I know there is a delay of about 1.5 seconds) in the same window/video source I operate, rewind and create events.
Rinsky  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 11:12:09 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Btw: I don't think there is a need for switching between live and recorded replay. Is't the 5sec, 10sec & 20sec shortcut something only a single vmix/replay operator would use?

If there a sperate replay operator, he would most likely create replays with in and out points, because he has enough time to scroll back and forth.

The 5,10 & 20sec shortcuts should only be related to the live input, because if the operator has enough time to scroll back, he probably has also enough time to set an in and out point.

Does that sould reasonable?

I came to this conclusion because I always forgot to switch to "Recorded Mode" when setting in and out points and was wondered about the weird events...
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 2:45:58 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I kind of agree with Bryan and Rinsky that it would be nice if the play head could jump to live or at least STOP once the Replay event has finished playing.
I find it very distracting and confusing that the play head continues playing at the set speed from the last played mark out point.
(I tried setting up a trigger to accomplish this but it hasn't worked for me yet)

As a side note, I almost feel out of place making comments or suggestions since I am not very familiar with current "broadcast" replay systems and workflows.
I really like the thought and effort that Martin has put into this which seems to be along the same lines as NewTek's 3play with A and B screens, however, I am somewhat more drawn to the workflow and interface that Zeplay presents with it's input and output screens (just seems a lot more intuitive to me):

Now granted, we are talking about systems costing 10's of thousands of $ compared to vMix but it's pretty amazing what Martin has done so far.

Ice
HighViewSport  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 4:37:38 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Thanks Ice & Rinsky for your input.

I have worked for a production company for many years who use newtek 3play systems for replays. They are very good system for sure.

Rather then explaining my idea of added vmix features, I thought it easier to watch a video. After more testing, I still think we need a larger window showing the live video. I did drag the monitor windows down but the 4 input windows still stay too small (in my humble opinion)

This video shows what I am talking about using Output A as live video window and the event playback window
Watch from 1:55 :

Another example is
- Watch from 1:53

Granted and totally agree with ice that these are very expensive systems. Martin has done an amazing job to incorporation many of these features in vMix Pro!!!! (vmix replays)

Thoughts?

admin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2015 6:55:32 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I might be missing something, but you can do everything that was demonstrated in those videos
already.

The key difference is the vMix Instant Replay is incorporated into an existing live production system.
So you have other inputs and previews in vMix you can use to see live video, including a dedicated MultiView
on a second or third monitor.

Basically you have all of the other features in vMix at your disposal to set things up however you like.
For example for a large preview of all four live cameras, setup a blank Input with a quad MultiView and assign this to the fullscreen output.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Rinsky  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2015 9:17:36 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

We can't watch the live video IN the replay a and b channels right now, that's the difference.

It's not about seeing the live input, it's about focusing on only one display/monitor/window/whatever and being able to stop, rewind, mark in/out and jump back to live within that window.

I wouldn't mind watching a 1.5sec delayed "live" video, if watching the live video isn't possible in this window,because of recording restraints.

A jump to "live" shortcut would be of great benefit for the replay operator.
admin  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 2:17:33 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, so just to confirm you would prefer the first two monitors monitors in the replay controller
to show whatever is live when the Live button is red? And switch to replay footage when Live is off?

Can I get a consensus from anybody else that this is how you would prefer the monitors to work?

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
HighViewSport  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 8, 2015 2:51:49 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Yes sort of Martin.

With two LCD monitors connected to pc, 1 for viewing vmix main and the other for viewing vmix replays controller! No 3rd LCD monitor with full screen program out
Now, on separate replay controller. Start recording and click LIVE button.
Idea is to have left large monitor window (Output A) show live video feed from a camera of your choice. If possible you could even have Output B show a second live camera angle

Set an event by clicking -20 sec button
Single click on new event. This now changes controller to replay mode and no longer live mode. Output A now shows start of new event. Play event, change speed, witch the replay to program Out! Well done!

Once you have finished showing replays etc, click the Live Button again and you are back watching live in the large window ready to create another event.
NOTE: All cameras are still recording so you can still create events if you missed something! If you are at say half time in a sports game. You can click live button to turn of live and enter replay mode to find more events if need be.

Guys, can we get feedback on this please. I think its really important especially if Martin is asking the question!

Thanks