logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
xbamaris  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 9:56:25 PM(UTC)
xbamaris

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am looking at getting a DeckLink Quad (or a 4x SDI input capture card) but I am unsure of what kind of cameras I can / should use.

These cameras will be strictly to be used with vMix for live streaming and recording.

I have looked at some HD CCTV cameras that should work but need some additional information or advice on what cables are required.

From what I've seen, most cameras that use HD-SDI have power outputs (DC power I think) and they do not seem to come with ends that powers them.

I plan on filling all 4 slots with cameras (so I am planning on getting 4 cameras)

There are some cables that come with DC power latched to them (the most amount of cable I would need would be 100ft, and less for some other cameras)

My question(s) are is that I'm not sure how I would need to power them, or if I would need to get an adapter as it seems those cables have larger inputs/outputs as what the DeckLink Quad inputs show (going on pictures here, if it works then that's fine)

I just need to know what all needs to be done if I am to accomplish what I need.
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:08:18 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I don't use an CCTV cameras at the moment, but when I looked into them most just had a positive and negative wire for power or a circle plug. So typically any 12V power supply transformer with enough amps should do it. You might need to lookup which CCTV cameras specifically.

I'm not endorsing any company, but see this SDI cable has a DC Power cable along with it:

http://www.cctvcamerapro...oax-Cable-p/rg59-p60.htm

Another one:

http://www.homedepot.com...-Cable-BNC-100/203224596

Otherwise you can run something like Figure 8 Speaker cable, which may not be the cheapest cable in the world, but I've used it before for running DC power and seems to work well. It's just what my AV guy had in his truck. Comes in many gauges, generally thicker has a lower resistance.

I would only be concerned if whatever power cable you used lost too much power along the way causing your SDI Camera to dropout. A multimeter would help you out seeing how much the voltage drops as you add more cable. A 12V Transformer often puts out a little more than 12V and the device would have some tolerance built in like +-1V. What that would be, well you would have to ask the people who sell it.

Or there is a calculator here: http://www.calculator.ne...es=0.5&x=65&y=10

You can buy the cable on a roll from and DC barrel type end connectors you can solder (better) or crimp on from an electronics store. They would most likely give you better advice about what would work well.

This website seems to have the whole package and videos on how to make the cables:

http://www.cctvcamerapro...ese-CCTV-Cable-s/259.htm
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:34:51 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
A bit of topic, but we bought such a siamese cable, hoping it would power our hdmi to sdi converter. It fits the adapter of the sdi converter perfect. It looses a little bit of power on long runs though, which is a pity.
xbamaris  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:39:46 PM(UTC)
xbamaris

I'm still a little confused as to how to power it, As I stated I'm aware of cables that have the DC power cable latched to the SDI cable. I'm saying whats the best way to power it on the other end (especially if I have multiple cables)

Wouldn't I need a DC power plug?

Also,

Are the cable plugins for the DeckLink Quad DIN plugins? If so, do I need to get a SDI to DIN connector?

I was looking at IP cameras but I'm afraid of latency issues (especially if I have 2 cameras that are HDMI connections through a capture card)

Would it be better just to stick with HDMI and get a Quad HDMI capture card?
r@wisla  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 3:36:45 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
xbamaris wrote:

how about battery...?

xbamaris wrote:
Are the cable plugins for the DeckLink Quad DIN plugins? If so, do I need to get a SDI to DIN connector?
I think SDI to DIN connector is in decklink quad package.

xbamaris wrote:

Would it be better just to stick with HDMI and get a Quad HDMI capture card?

No. if You consider using your hdmi cameras get hdmi to sdi converter and sdi card. Hdmi cables are not intended to be used in broadcast.
thanks 1 user thanked r@wisla for this useful post.
tnorrell on 1/27/2015(UTC)
xbamaris  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 1:48:36 PM(UTC)
xbamaris

r@wisla wrote:

I'd rather have something I wouldnt have to recharge... if thats what you were suggesting... I'm just trying to think of the best way to power it (whether its in my sound booth or have the electrician install closer to the camera itself.

If I were to get the cables with both the SDI and DC power latched together, I was thinking I could get a industrial power strip and stick it where I have a rack mount and plug them in using DC power plugs.

r@wisla wrote:
I think SDI to DIN connector is in decklink quad package.

Thanks for the clarification.

r@wisla wrote:

No. if You consider using your hdmi cameras get hdmi to sdi converter and sdi card. Hdmi cables are not intended to be used in broadcast.

I currently already use 2 HDMI cameras with 2 separate capture card (single inputs) and I haven't had a problem with them.

IceStream  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 2:36:50 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 504 time(s) in 473 post(s)
@ xbamaris

It's not so much that HDMI wont work, it is that it is not designed for long runs and to be plugged and unplugged all the time. SDI provides a professional connection and supports runs up to 300 feet. Using a relatively cheap HDMI to SDI converter will allow you to use HDMI equipped cameras "professionally", so to speak.

If at all possible, I would look at powering your cameras separately and closer to their set-up location as this may reduce your cabling requirements.

Ice
r@wisla  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 4:43:47 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
xbamaris, You didn't mention or I missed that - what are you going to broadcast? Are you going to setup all your cameras, vmix pc, mixers, cables everytime or it will be fixed, one time installation and you are only going to turn everything every event. Also, will your cameras move up-down-left-right during broadcast or there will not be any movement (except zoom-in and out, maybe).

If:
- you are going to setup your cameras and connect cables to it every event,
- move (turn, rotate...) your cameras during filming,
- you need long distance cable
...use SDI.

If not HDMI may be enough.

There are 2xSDI capture cards, like Decklink Duo or XI200DE-SDI Magewell you may consider using with your current 2 x HDMI cards.
www.magewell.com/hardwar...di_features.html?lang=en
xbamaris  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 11:35:49 AM(UTC)
xbamaris

r@wisla wrote:
xbamaris, You didn't mention or I missed that - what are you going to broadcast? Are you going to setup all your cameras, vmix pc, mixers, cables everytime or it will be fixed, one time installation and you are only going to turn everything every event. Also, will your cameras move up-down-left-right during broadcast or there will not be any movement (except zoom-in and out, maybe).

If:
- you are going to setup your cameras and connect cables to it every event,
- move (turn, rotate...) your cameras during filming,
- you need long distance cable
...use SDI.

If not HDMI may be enough.

There are 2xSDI capture cards, like Decklink Duo or XI200DE-SDI Magewell you may consider using with your current 2 x HDMI cards.
www.magewell.com/hardwar...di_features.html?lang=en

This is for a small church service (though we are technically advanced when it comes to streaming / live streaming (stream to a Roku App aswell)

Cameras will be mostly stationary mounted near the ceiling (which is a false ceiling as well where cables can be fed and hidden)

I use two HDMI cameras (and both use HDMI seperate HDMI capture cards)

Currently, I think my motherboard is full as I have 3 HDMI capture cards (third one is used for inputs other than cameras) a Graphics Card, and a Sound Card (I plan on removing one of the HDMI capture cards)

I know there are cameras that are remote controllable, but I think I'd need an extra physical board to do those? Or could I control them via the capture card?

The cameras we use are just stanard HD camcorders with HDMI out (and the cables run through a HDMI to CAT6 box (which means the cables are run via dual CAT-6 cables) then back to HDMI on the receiving end.

All the cables would eventually go to an area where it is closed off.