logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JxM  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 8:22:04 AM(UTC)
JxM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello there,

I've built my own Virtual Set using some other software and then exported layers to .png and the using config.xlm put everything together.

Virtual set is supposed to have only one view, so all layers are 1080p and therefore the config file doesn't zoom, stretch, rotate or do anything similar with layers except the one with the camera with green screen background input, which was only zoomed out.

The problem is that any input, no matter what kind of file type/source we're using inside the Virtual Set displays somewhat grainy and pixelated, not even close to be greenlighted for upcoming broadcasts. However, it displays perfectly fine as source itself inside vMix, even in other prebuilt Virtual Sets. Same thing happens on different machines.

My guess would be that the layer screens.png does something to inputs, but I have no clue what that would be even when comparing different files from other prebuilt sets and inspecting them almost pixel by pixel.

I included some screenshots bellow: At the moment of making screenshot I didn't have access to camera source, so I used some photos downloaded from Google :P Doesn't really matter, because same thing is well seen in the screenshots.

Comparison between prebuilt set and my custom built set:
UserPostedImage

Two different sets that will be used as sort of multicam virtual set:
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully we will solve this today as this is the deadline ...
Thremir  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 9:56:16 AM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Are you sure you saved and created the UV Maps in 16-bit using your image editor?

Cheers,
Håvard
Egriswold  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 10:28:15 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
The background image should be rendered much larger 4K @72dpi
JxM  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 6:55:44 PM(UTC)
JxM

Seems like 16-bit did at least some of the magic. It's not perfect or at least as good as prebuilt sets, but way better than it was.

Why 4K? We're broadcasting 1080p, we have two cameras, each one has it's own Virtual Set so we can "pretend" we have a proper multicam virtual studio. Therefore none of the cameras will really zoom in or out.

Thanks, guys! :)

P.S.: You're more than welcome to check final results here: https://video.arnes.si/p...P3PKQqgaGTlVcKnXmQWRQX1; broadcast starts tomorrow at 4PM CET, News in the Virtual set are set at 6.15-ish PM CET. Probably you won't understand a thing though. :P
ask  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 7:27:14 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The idea is to use high resolution images so that you can zoom in and out without pixelation. Another tip is to blur the background images so that you create perception of depth in your set. Too often, the backgrounds end up in sharper focus than the camera image on your talent so it looks wrong for the audience. You can an example of this in your images above.
JxM  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:00:49 AM(UTC)
JxM

Yes, of course I get that :) Like I said, we will not be using digital zoom inside vMix, so therefore 1080p is enough.

However, this is only temporary solution due to the time we had to render all this - I had only three days to render this and another 2000 frames for animations/transitions/intros ... It will be done again with depth of field for next broadcasts. Also, the talent above is not really 1080p and is even blurred due to the mentioned problem ... :)

Thanks!
Damn2Good4U  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 6:24:41 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
JxM wrote:
P.S.: You're more than welcome to check final results here: https://video.arnes.si/p...P3PKQqgaGTlVcKnXmQWRQX1; broadcast starts tomorrow at 4PM CET, News in the Virtual set are set at 6.15-ish PM CET. Probably you won't understand a thing though. :P

The link above seem not to be working.. would really love to see how your virtual set looks like.

Thanks
JxM  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 6:29:05 AM(UTC)
JxM

Hm, seems like ";" at the end shouldn't be there :)

Here it is again:
https://video.arnes.si/p...lP3PKQqgaGTlVcKnXmQWRQX1

We also use vMix for other things, such as normal multicam studio editing ... you'll see :) next 72 hours of broadcast will be done mostly with vMix (except the prime time program with bigger studio and proper control room, but event that uses some vMix functions) :)

Basically, we are student television, we are usually broadcasting live via internet every two weeks with few hours of program, now at the end of semester we will broadcast live for 72 hours with three working studios - small with three cams for sort of discussions, bigger (but not large at all) for prime program and virtual studio for news.
Damn2Good4U  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 7:18:42 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
JxM wrote:
Hm, seems like ";" at the end shouldn't be there :)

Here it is again:
https://video.arnes.si/p...lP3PKQqgaGTlVcKnXmQWRQX1

We also use vMix for other things, such as normal multicam studio editing ... you'll see :) next 72 hours of broadcast will be done mostly with vMix (except the prime time program with bigger studio and proper control room, but event that uses some vMix functions) :)

Basically, we are student television, we are usually broadcasting live via internet every two weeks with few hours of program, now at the end of semester we will broadcast live for 72 hours with three working studios - small with three cams for sort of discussions, bigger (but not large at all) for prime program and virtual studio for news.

Cool... you are not streaming anything at the moment but i will definitely watch your shows.. cos i want to see and learn how you work with the virtual set.

All the best m8
JxM  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 7:31:33 AM(UTC)
JxM

We start broadcasting at 4PM CET. We are actually already streaming what you see.

Hopefully Virtual Studio will go fine. It's first time for us doing this ... :)
Sweden  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:03:11 PM(UTC)
Sweden

I have the exact same problem with the built in preset and my custom built Virtual Set. It's pixelated and distorted?
/Mikael
JxM  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 3:47:20 PM(UTC)
JxM

Sweden wrote:
I have the exact same problem with the built in preset and my custom built Virtual Set. It's pixelated and distorted?
/Mikael

Talking to some other people it could've been the problem with .png structure if you skew or rotate the uv maps ...

Oh, and. At the end of the day we're quiet satisfied with everything. We had some big problems with greenscreen. A light broke down a minute or two before cutting to Virtual Set, so the key was just absolutely horrible and I wouldn't greenlight it even if I were some kid playing games with my camera. But we had to go through it. We'll hopefully fix it tomorrow before we go live again.