logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:53:52 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Does the Title/XAML Input support this?

(Not absolutely necessary for the Title Designer, altough of course nice in the future)
tnorrell  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:40:10 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm so new to XAML I can't even begin to answer you question... But i'm on the track to learn to use XAML to create titles... can you explain your question like I'm 5, so that I understand the answer when you do get one?
gazreyn  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:12:37 AM(UTC)
gazreyn

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Not sure what you mean with StylisticAlternates but in the past for OTF fonts to work I've had to use converters to turn them in to TTF which has always seemed to have done the trick.

@tnorrell - A basic XAML/Blend tutorial I did a while back, little bit outdate but goes through the basics of creating overlays for vmix -
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 10:35:35 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Sorry for late reply, and perhaps for being too vague in my initial post.

I am not an expert on this, so please bear that in mind when you read my comments.

OpenType is a newer/better format than many other formats, including TrueType. Developed by Adobe and Microsoft.

If I remember correctly from other discussions here, vMix Titles mostly support TruType (.ttf). And as gazreyn says one way to solve the problem could be by converting from other formats to ttf. Such conversions are often not legal, and/or result in inferior result. In addition fonts are rendered differently by vMix and cvMix's TitleDesigner.

Now, the main issue here is that OTF fonts can contain variations/styles/features, see Adobe's description.

I googled and found that .NET support OTF stylistic alternatives set in XAML properties, see
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.documents.typography.stylisticalternates(v=vs.110).aspx

So, to keep our customers happy who spent a lot of money choosing/designing a desired font it would be great if these could be properly rendered in vMix. Currently we have to create png overlays using Photoshop (not Photoshop Elements, as it does not support stylistic alternatives).

Hope this makes things clearer.