logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2024 12:40:40 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 166 post(s)
vMix 28 is on display at IBC this week.

Here’s a preview from our friend Paul Richards at Steam Geeks:
https://www.facebook.com...YpVYCXG/?mibextid=UalRPS

Is there a tentative beta release date yet?

- Tom
fgolman  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2024 5:16:41 AM(UTC)
fgolman

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Although some interesting incremental stuff, I was really wishing for more outputs. Even limited to virtual, on device use would be better than nothing! Viz has been offering eight for a couple of years already.
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2024 7:22:31 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 166 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fgolman Go to Quoted Post
Viz has been offering eight for a couple of years already.

And what does Viz cost? Just curious.

- Tom

nikosman88  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2024 11:38:18 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sinc747 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: fgolman Go to Quoted Post
Viz has been offering eight for a couple of years already.

And what does Viz cost? Just curious.

- Tom

Of course tricaster cost 10x times. But if you do a HEDT for vmix it will cost also a lot so it would preferable for anyone who got the money to be able to have more outputs. Other than this. I see today another video that shows the 2nd multiview they add. But.. We continue to have only 2 fullscreen outputs. This i think is not about cost because the free OBS have as many fullscreen outputs your pc has and can handle
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2024 1:18:00 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 297 time(s) in 250 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
This i think is not about cost because the free OBS have as many fullscreen outputs your pc has and can handle

Exactly as admin have explained many times over the years. He does not want to add more outputs for performance reasons - not cost. Search the forum and you will find the discussions about this.
nikosman88  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2024 2:22:19 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post
This i think is not about cost because the free OBS have as many fullscreen outputs your pc has and can handle

Exactly as admin have explained many times over the years. He does not want to add more outputs for performance reasons - not cost. Search the forum and you will find the discussions about this.

Yes i have seen these posts. But on the other hand.. A tricaster Elite that has 8 hw outputs costs about 25-30k. With this amount of money i believe is possible to build a pc that will be able to handle 8 outputs into vmix
WaltG12  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2024 3:21:00 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 26 post(s)

Last year, the alpha was at IBC and the public beta was released a few hours after the following month's live show.

But they had also said that needing to work with Zoom was impacting the timeline.

Yes i have seen these posts. But on the other hand.. A tricaster Elite that has 8 hw outputs costs about 25-30k. With this amount of money i believe is possible to build a pc that will be able to handle 8 outputs into vmix

With vMix 27, they opened it up so all 4 Outputs could be used as hardware outputs.

They did so with a very strong warning that they didn't believe it'd work well with most systems.

The last discussion I saw on this subject, it was suggested that the next step with outputs would be unlimited--the user would just enable as many of them as they need & would be fully responsible for ensuring they stayed within the boundaries of their own system.

I think that's a reasonable way to handle it, given the discrepancies in hardware and the processing needs of different resolutions.

I don't fully know what vMix's processing needs are, but I feel like a system that can handle 4 4K60 outputs should be able to handle at least 6 1080p30 outputs.

So I do think it'd make sense for things to go that way. But I also feel like we won't see it for another few release cycles, at least.
nikosman88  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2024 6:59:16 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Originally Posted by: WaltG12 Go to Quoted Post

Last year, the alpha was at IBC and the public beta was released a few hours after the following month's live show.

But they had also said that needing to work with Zoom was impacting the timeline.

With vMix 27, they opened it up so all 4 Outputs could be used as hardware outputs.

They did so with a very strong warning that they didn't believe it'd work well with most systems.

The last discussion I saw on this subject, it was suggested that the next step with outputs would be unlimited--the user would just enable as many of them as they need & would be fully responsible for ensuring they stayed within the boundaries of their own system.

I think that's a reasonable way to handle it, given the discrepancies in hardware and the processing needs of different resolutions.

I don't fully know what vMix's processing needs are, but I feel like a system that can handle 4 4K60 outputs should be able to handle at least 6 1080p30 outputs.

So I do think it'd make sense for things to go that way. But I also feel like we won't see it for another few release cycles, at least.

I agree that user must be responsible for how much will load his system. Personally i learned with the hard way my pc`s limits. But i like to be able to do that. For example my i7 10th gen and a gpu like 1060/1070ti cannot do 8 hw h264 encodings even nvdia says it does. So i know that also i cannot do with vmix 28 in my current hw 5 stream destinations but i like that there exist this feature. In today vmix fun time show they did from IBC 2024 they say that with vmix 28 will be able to do 5 stream destinations because nvdia drivers now allow 8 encodings. Keeping that in mind,in theory nvdia quadro cards as nvdia says it can do unlimited encodings,so vmix could have a "recognise point" that the card is quadro and allow or not the more than 4 outputs
koinonia  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2024 7:23:13 AM(UTC)
koinonia

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: richardgatarski Go to Quoted Post

It´s not just about building a PC. Tricaster 2 Elite has a dedicated video interface hardware with 8 SDI inputs and 8 SDI outputs and 48 NDI outputs. 4 multiviewer outputs and Livecall to put not just Zoom integration, but also Microsoft Teams, Google Meets, Whatsapp and Facebook live.

vMix is the best only software solution!

WaltG12  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2024 1:29:10 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Originally Posted by: koinonia Go to Quoted Post
It´s not just about building a PC. Tricaster 2 Elite has a dedicated video interface hardware with 8 SDI inputs and 8 SDI outputs and 48 NDI outputs. 4 multiviewer outputs and Livecall to put not just Zoom integration, but also Microsoft Teams, Google Meets, Whatsapp and Facebook live.

First, a Tricaster Elite 2 is running an embedded version of Windows 7--it's literally a PC.

Second, most of what you're listing is either I/O or software functionality.

Third, I'm not sure you understand what one can build, in terms of a $25,000+ PC.

The 96 core AMD Threadripper PRO 7995WX costs $10,000, for example. I'd expect 96 cores/192 threads can handle a lot of NDI encodes. Pair that with a $400 40Gb Ethernet card and I'd expect you get a pretty dang good NDI performance.

Of course, vMix isn't designed for this type of machine, because pretty much nobody has this type of machine, but the comment you're replying to is absolutely correct about what vMix could do on such a PC if it weren't locked down to match the capability of the average machine.

I completely understand why vMix has those restrictions, because they absolutely have to protect the user from themselves, and it wouldn't make sense to remove limits that'll only help those on PCs costing tens of thousands of dollars when the average user doesn't have anything even close to that.

But you can absolutely get Tricaster levels of performance out of an unlocked switcher on a comparably priced PC.
stevespaw  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2024 7:45:36 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Tricasters do some tricky stuff - that only they seem to be able to do.
vMix brings in all the content at full bandwidth and manipulates these streams in real time - layers on inputs etc. Very powerful stuff.
Tricasters do not do this. They are super efficient at working video at lower data rates in the system (multiviews, etc.) and switching to the full res only when needed. That is how they can do so many inputs and outputs. But the layering and compositing is nowhere near what you can do in vMix. The software version of Tricaster, Viz Vectar is cloud only running on very powerful instances, priced per month $$$$$
bulent_atlas  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2024 5:40:19 AM(UTC)
bulent_atlas

Turkey

I'm looking forward to Vmix 28. I have a small suggestion for the new version. There is a big problem for those who follow the broadcast via multiview and manage it with controllers. When the broadcast goes yellow or has a recording problem, it is not noticeable that the broadcast or recording has stopped because the vmix screen is not looked at. I think a warning sign that can be added to the multiview screen or detailed information that can be added to one of the boxes would be very useful. Thank you
WaltG12  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2024 5:42:41 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Originally Posted by: bulent_atlas Go to Quoted Post
I'm looking forward to Vmix 28. I have a small suggestion for the new version. There is a big problem for those who follow the broadcast via multiview and manage it with controllers. When the broadcast goes yellow or has a recording problem, it is not noticeable that the broadcast or recording has stopped because the vmix screen is not looked at. I think a warning sign that can be added to the multiview screen or detailed information that can be added to one of the boxes would be very useful. Thank you

You want the Feature Request section.
thanks 2 users thanked WaltG12 for this useful post.
sinc747 on 9/21/2024(UTC), bulent_atlas on 9/22/2024(UTC)
bulent_atlas  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2024 3:47:59 PM(UTC)
bulent_atlas

Turkey

Has there been an increase in the number of fullscreens with the increase of multiview to 2?
nikosman88  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2024 7:46:27 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Originally Posted by: bulent_atlas Go to Quoted Post
Has there been an increase in the number of fullscreens with the increase of multiview to 2?

No