logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ProducerAnywhere  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2024 5:29:35 AM(UTC)
ProducerAnywhere

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey there. I run a corporate live stream production (paid work), and I’ve recently run into a tough issue that *seems* to be related to vMix — but I acknowledge there are quite a few variables in my setup and it could be something else. Hoping to tap the “hive mind” here to see if anyone has thoughts on what might be going on…

In a nutshell, I’m getting random NDI audio dropouts (but the corresponding NDI video signals continue to stream fine when audio cuts out). These audio dropouts last between 0.5–10 seconds, but they happen fairly often during the show (roughly once every 10 minutes, but interval is totally random). When they happen, I don’t see or hear any buffering / glitchyness / garbled sound. The audio just cuts instantly — and comes back after a few seconds.

Details about the overall setup: I’m running vMix 26.0.2.34 on a PC tower (Windows 11, Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA RTX 4070, 32GB RAM) — and I’m simultaneously pulling 4-6 NDI sources into vMix. These NDI sources are provided across the local network from ZoomISO (version 2.2), running on an M1 iMac (3.2 Ghz, Model ID: 21,1).

My ZoomISO video and audio outputs are all set to NDI, 720p. I’m also using a Stream Deck + Bitfocus Companion to remote control both ZoomISO and vMix — though Companion is primarily controlling vMix — and it just collects data from the Zoom meeting (i.e. - participant names) via the ZoomISO/OSC module. It currently doesn’t perform any Zoom meeting actions. This configuration has been working successfully for a long time, and AFAIK, no major changes have been made since it last ran flawlessly.

The reason I think vMix is the culprit is because I still see good audio levels in ZoomISO during the dropouts, but the VU meters in vMix show no signal.

In messing around with it, I discovered a STRANGE band-aid solution: If I leave vMix running but switch my active application (say to Google Chrome), the audio dropouts stop completely. I ran the show this way for THREE FULL DAYS without a single hiccup… But switch back to vMix, and the audio dropouts resume almost immediately. Maybe this provides a clue about what’s going on, but I don’t personally understand why switching the active application would fix it. However, the fact that this solves it consistently makes me feel like it’s not a network issue. It seems like something is happening within my PC — and I’m largely a Mac user, so it’s possible I just don’t know which settings to check.

So after my miscellaneous troubleshooting, I’m still pretty confused. What thoughts / suggestions do y’all have? Thanks for your help!
mtone  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2024 6:38:35 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
are you using a dedicated audio interface to monitor or only the motherboard audio outputs ? if you have a dedicated interface maybe try deselecting the motherboards audio driver in vMix and also disabling the motherboards audio in windows (device manager) and see if that affects it ? for the sake of a test only have one audio device on your system and see if that changes anything..
nikosman88  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2024 8:38:59 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Hi. I dont have a intel 13th gen but i have seen some posts and also in the latest vmix live fun show before 2 days one member said that at vmix and intel 13/14 gen cpu, it uses p-cores for ndi and this goes to drop frames. Vmix team answer was that they had some reports but cannot re-plicate the problem. So if you can do a "demo problem" for them and contact them via vmix support, it will be helpful
thanks 1 user thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
ProducerAnywhere on 8/31/2024(UTC)
ProducerAnywhere  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2024 1:37:39 PM(UTC)
ProducerAnywhere

United States

Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post
are you using a dedicated audio interface to monitor or only the motherboard audio outputs ? if you have a dedicated interface maybe try deselecting the motherboards audio driver in vMix and also disabling the motherboards audio in windows (device manager) and see if that affects it ? for the sake of a test only have one audio device on your system and see if that changes anything..
I'm not currently using a dedicated audio interface for monitoring — but when there are audio dropouts, I do see them reflected on the system-level VU meters in the Windows Settings menu. I don't have a high-end audio interface, but do have an old Audient ID4 that I could try. Do you think that might work?

Tbh, I don't totally understand how using an external audio interface would resolve these symptoms, but i'm pretty desperate at ths point and will try anything. I've been pretty spoiled by how well MacOS handles audio devices, so dealing with 3rd party drivers is a little bit foreign to me, despite being a PC guy in the early '00s.