logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
furtive  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2024 9:42:07 AM(UTC)
furtive

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I am testing out a TYST TY-REW580 controller. It is a MIDI device with a T-Bar that is CH13, Note 14, Velocities 0-127. The shortcut template that came with the device included a MIDIControlChange (13:14) to fire a ReplaySetSpeed command. This works correctly! When I move the T-Bar, regardless of where it is, that change in value on the T-Bar placement results in a change in the replay speed.

I want this controller to behave like EVS where I can also roll the replays with the T-Bar. But when I jog forward and back (which is using the "ReplayJumpFrames" shortcut), the replay controller is no longer playing. And therefore, when I roll the T-Bar, the replay channel does not play. Instead, it only changes the 'replay speed,' which is decoupled from whether or not the replay channel is actually playing (as an aside: being someone who has used both vMix Replay and EVS heavily, this particular quirk of vMix Replay is an inane decision). In other words, I ALSO need the T-Bar to explicitly 'play' the currently controlled replay channel(s).

No problem, I thought. I simply added a second MIDIControlChange shortcut for (13:14) for "ReplayPlay". This shortcut DOES NOT WORK. I jog back, replay is paused. I move the T-Bar, and the 'speed' changes but the replay will not play. The only workaround I can find is to slam/jimmy the T-Bar all the way down after I finish jogging, which for some reason triggers the 'play' shortcut, and then to roll the T-Bar forward as the replay is now actually playing as I change the speed.

This is frustrating and does not make sense. The ReplaySetSpeed shortcut is firing on any change to the T-Bar value. But the ReplayPlay only fires on 0 (even though I have explicitly NOT checked the 'value' box on these shortcuts).

Additional troubleshooting I have tried:

• changing the order of the two shortcuts for (13:14) between ReplayPlay and ReplaySetSpeed
  • using ReplayPlayForward instead of ReplayPlay
  • changing the 'type' for the MIDIControlChange to 'Default' and 'Jog Wheel'

Am I seriously going to have to go hook this MIDI controller up to CentralControl to use the TCP API to accomplish what shortcuts should absolutely be capable of doing here?

edit: this is on vMix MAX 27.0.0.76
furtive  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 29, 2024 8:52:48 AM(UTC)
furtive

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
As I suggested in the end of my post, I have worked around this by connecting to the device & vMix with Central Control, and having T-Bar moves send a ReplayPlay command via the TCP API along with the ReplaySetSpeed command.

Having the replay speed actually be an indication of the current status of the replay channel is one of the many changes I would still like to see in future versions of vMix Replay. Sort of wish StudioCoast would bring in expert replay folks who work with vMix Replay + EVS and use that sort of focus group to hammer out what vMix Replay could be. Rebuild it so that it can truly capture the huge swathes of the market that it SHOULD be able to. The inability to perform 10in/2out, and things like this, are really holding it back from doing so. Which is a shame because vMix Replay being extensible (such that I could solve THIS problem on my own via TCP API) and having features like tag filtering & clip speed everywhere and editing in this file-based environment, and vision mixing tools built-in for zoom-in etc., are SO wonderful compared to EVS.