logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:28:43 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I understand that the Web/API can allow remote PC's to access vMix.

Is there a function in the Web/API where vMix can control a remote PC or send a command to a remote PC or server?
DYosua  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:13:31 PM(UTC)
DYosua

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I believe you can access the web API from outside your local network if the router and vMix computer have port forwarding enabled (although I have never done it specifically). Note that it does potentially open up your computer to the Internet more than it usually would which could make it susceptible to outside threats. If security is a concern, you could always access the vMix computer (or another computer on your local network) by using a remote-access service such as LogMeIn or Teamviewer. In fact, during the summer I switched an entire church service remotely from two states away by accessing another computer on my church's network through TeamViewer and sending commands to the vMix machine using a combination of the Web Interface and a custom program using the API!
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 4:03:22 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that vMix can be controlled remotely using the API. What I want to know (and probably did a poor job of phrasing), can vMix send a command to a remote server?

For example...

Let's say I have a remote server that is loaded with many 30-second video advertisements grouped in various playlists by time. Playlist #1 is a total of 60 seconds. Playlist #2 is 120 seconds, etc. Let's call this the Ad Server.

I also have 10 production teams that are live streaming various events. When they have a natural break in the action, pregame timeout, halftime, postgame, etc., they can send from their vMix PC to my Ad Server a command to run a Playlist. So Team #1 sends a command to run Playlist #2 (120 seconds long). Then Ad Server takes over their live stream, runs Playlist #2 (120 seconds of video advertisements) and then releases the stream back to vMix and Team #1.

While this could be done as a separate application outside of vMix, it could be a selling feature of vMix that it has this function built-in.

Additionally as a bonus, this feature could count down from 120 to 0 (in the above example) so the team would know when the stream was released.

kkstyle  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:43:55 PM(UTC)
kkstyle

take the stream from the Ad Server by rtmp or rtsp like VOD ?
I think is more easy and performing...
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:10:32 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Thank you for your reply.

The ad from the Ad Server is served directly by the CDN. I never see it and would not want to have it served to me and then re-stream it. It would result in doubling the bandwidth needed.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:55:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ sinc747

Interesting idea, but I don't think you can "pass the streaming baton" from computer to computer (or essentially from one encoder to another seamlessly)...

I'm no expert but I've never heard of it, although I like the possibilities it would enable.

Ice
sinc747  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 11:36:17 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

@Ice - Thanks for your reply. No problem on passing the baton. Doing that already via a webpage script, but would prefer to have that done from inside vMix.
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:40:24 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ sinc747

That's very exciting news Tom, not to hijack the thread, but can you elaborate or provide info on how this is accomplished?

Ice
Rehan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 3:04:55 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

The ad from the Ad Server is served directly by the CDN. I never see it and would not want to have it served to me and then re-stream it. It would result in doubling the bandwidth needed.

Serving content seamlessly from different sources sounds like something the CDN should handle, not one of the content sources (eg, a video mixer).

For example, ScaleEngine allows live streams and VOD files in their Channel Playlists; maybe using their channel API you could change the playlist on demand to show the ads and then return to the live stream.
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 1:12:34 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Rehan

I can certainly appreciate that the CDN can handle this, in terms of inputting another source on top of an existing stream, but what Tom is suggesting, if I understand him correctly, is that he can stream from location "1" from computer "A" and then with a "webpage script" can transfer that existing stream to another encoder at location "2" on computer "B" before it gets to the CDN...
I didn't think that was possible, or maybe I have misinterpreted what he is doing, but the opportunities that creates is mind boggling to me and I would like to know how to do that!

Ice
sinc747  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 4:45:22 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

@Ice - Sorry to mislead you. The concept is that the CDN would put another stream (ads) on top of my stream at my command. And then "uncover" my stream at the conclusion of the ads.
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2015 12:49:24 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Thanks for clarifying Tom.
As Rehan suggests, I think that is a function better left outside of the vMix UI and functionality, but certainly seems feasible with the right CDN provider.

Ice