logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matou  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2024 6:09:54 AM(UTC)
Matou

Groups: Registered
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good evening everyone!
Can anyone explain to me, in a simple way, whether to do a live broadcast in SRT I am forced to rely on an SRT server service?
Has anyone managed to configure an SRT address with just their PC in Vmix?
Thank you all!!!

Buonasera a tutti!
Qualcuno mi sa spiegare, in maniera semplice, se per fare una diretta in SRT sono obbligato ad appoggiarmi ad un servizio di server SRT?
Qualcuno è riuscito a configurare un indirizzo SRT solo con il proprio pc in Vmix?
Grazie a tutti!!!
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2024 6:57:43 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello. Yes in theory you dont need a SRT server service or if you do vmix pc1 SRT caller/listener to vmix pc2 caller/listener. In order to be able your pc to see the other pc,you need to open (forward) a port in your internet router. There are videos that explains this process that may be a little different because of your router menu etc.
In practice now for live broadcast. Let`s say you open the port into your router. The viewers must have the program (vmix,obs and it`s clones or other program that can decode the SRT stream) that will do decode your SRT stream in their side. They need to know your ip and the port you assigned for SRT in order to be able to connect and see the stream. Also very important. Vmix SRT outputs are multipoint so that means that in your ip:port can connect many people. The problem here is your upload bandwidth. If you give for example 5mbps SRT stream and 10 people connect same time, you need to have 50mbps upload in order everyone to be able to see your stream.
thanks 2 users thanked nikosman88 for this useful post.
Chircanu on 6/30/2024(UTC), Matou on 7/2/2024(UTC)
paco3346  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2024 4:08:53 PM(UTC)
paco3346

United States

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
From personal experience I've also found that vmix struggles with multipoint listeners. It won't drop frames in the rendering engine but the SRT output will drop TONs of packets. I'm talking upwards of 40%. This has been true regardless of resolution, bitrate, and CPU power.

I've resorted to using this whenever I need vmix to feed multiple endpoints:
https://github.com/cannonbeach/opensrthub
thanks 1 user thanked paco3346 for this useful post.
Matou on 7/2/2024(UTC)
ckvideo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2024 6:41:34 AM(UTC)
ckvideo

Germany

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: paco3346 Go to Quoted Post
From personal experience I've also found that vmix struggles with multipoint listeners. It won't drop frames in the rendering engine but the SRT output will drop TONs of packets. I'm talking upwards of 40%. This has been true regardless of resolution, bitrate, and CPU power.

I've resorted to using this whenever I need vmix to feed multiple endpoints:
https://github.com/cannonbeach/opensrthub

Hi,

I had vMix running as a listener and connecting other SRT clients to it on the LAN, it was ok for 2 or 3 clients. You could test with VLC connecting from other PCs on the same LAN. However, next time I would check this again in detail.

If you need SRT relays on internet servers, your options are:

[list=1
  • Haivision Media Gateway on AWS (pay as you go)
  • Datarhei Restreamer Nice tool based on ffmpeg A bit tricky to set up, but you get many restream options and a SRT relay for free. No SRT telemtry there, nice to set up with Docker, but plan some RAM and CPU cycles if you need severel streams and transcoding.
  • Multistreamer This is a commercial tool, but very powerful for all sorts of stream conversions. It includes SRT server (if you buy the option) and has very detailled analytics. Not cheap, but worth it, if you really need to get to the bottom of streams.
    [/list]

paco3346, how are your experiences using opensrt hub? Is it stable when longrunning?
  • Matou  
    #5 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2024 4:46:58 PM(UTC)
    Matou

Man
    Italy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
    Dopo nottate e nottate di ragionamenti e prove vi confermo che è possibile trasmettere in SRT usando la propria connessione e un decoder con sim 4G. Penso di aver scritto email a mezzo mondo: dai cinesi che hanno prodotto l’encoder alla Vodafone Italia, a chi da’ il servizio tipo miniserversrt a chi da servizio per privati No-ip. E’ stato MOLTO laborioso ma volevo capire se si poteva fare. Devo ringraziare Ivan Bottelli di Vmix Italia Facebook - per le dritte iniziali.
    Buon divertimento a tutti!

After nights and nights of reasoning and testing, I confirm that it is possible to transmit in SRT using your own connection and a decoder with SIM 4G. I think I have written emails to every part of the world: from the Chinese who produced the encoder, to Vodafone Italia, to those who provide the miniserversrt type service to those who provide No-IP services for private individuals. It was VERY laborious but I wanted to see if it could be done. I have to thank Ivan Bottelli of Vmix Italia Facebook - for the initial advice.
    Good fun!

Alan - Gruppo Matou.tv