logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BriarPatchMedia  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2024 11:54:45 AM(UTC)
BriarPatchMedia

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hello -

Please forgive me if my question is posted somewhere else.

I am taking VMix on the road soon, and I have a configuration question.

I want to use my I9-9xxx series VMix tower (Vmix version 27.0.0.72 / Win 10 Pro / 64GB RAM / NVidia Super 2060 / SSD OS and Record Drives) to bring in Vmix Call and Zoom, then video output via SDI (BMD Decklink Duo 2) to BMD Constellation 20-Input switcher - audio would either be extracted via SDI or headphone (or line) out of the Tower. I would then take Program Out of the 20-Input switcher back to the tower via SDI (audio and video), for the callers to see return.

Could someone please detail what I need to do, not just the wiring -- also if I will run into mix-minus issues.

Thank You!
Jonathan

p.s --- Old broacast TV guy, so please be detailed.
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2024 12:26:23 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello. If you send external-->sdi output to any hw mixer/device there will be a noticeable delay some frames in the signal.If you send the video via the decklink duo and then audio directly via headphone or line,there will be no sync between video and audio for some frames, so somewhere in the chain,you need to re-sync video-audio.
But to be honest i see here in my country Greece that even big tv national stations, sometimes they do live connections between the journalist in the field and the talent in the studio and there exist a little latency between video-audio in the field audio.
If you send also audio via sdi into the constellation,there will be sync between them. Then if you also re-send from the atem inside vmix via the bmd decklink there will be an extra latency. So you need to workaround the whole process in order to have the desired workflow. Personally i didnt try combination between vmix call and zoom call. But if you send the output from vmix into the atem and then back, i believe you will need workaround with the audio buses in order not to have echo and other issues.
BriarPatchMedia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2024 9:52:25 PM(UTC)
BriarPatchMedia

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. If you send external-->sdi output to any hw mixer/device there will be a noticeable delay some frames in the signal.If you send the video via the decklink duo and then audio directly via headphone or line,there will be no sync between video and audio for some frames, so somewhere in the chain,you need to re-sync video-audio.
But to be honest i see here in my country Greece that even big tv national stations, sometimes they do live connections between the journalist in the field and the talent in the studio and there exist a little latency between video-audio in the field audio.
If you send also audio via sdi into the constellation,there will be sync between them. Then if you also re-send from the atem inside vmix via the bmd decklink there will be an extra latency. So you need to workaround the whole process in order to have the desired workflow. Personally i didnt try combination between vmix call and zoom call. But if you send the output from vmix into the atem and then back, i believe you will need workaround with the audio buses in order not to have echo and other issues.

I knew there would be a probable sync issue, and I knew of 1 facility that has wired their system similar to what I am looking to do. I was not sure if I has the right wiring schematic in my head.
nikosman88  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2024 1:22:24 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BriarPatchMedia Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post

I knew there would be a probable sync issue, and I knew of 1 facility that has wired their system similar to what I am looking to do. I was not sure if I has the right wiring schematic in my head.

You can test and see what fits better for you

dmwkr  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2024 2:44:06 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Hello -

I would then take Program Out of the 20-Input switcher back to the tower via SDI (audio and video), for the callers to see return.

Could someone please detail what I need to do, not just the wiring -- also if I will run into mix-minus issues.

Hi Jonathan,

you will have to be more detailed on the setup of your event, and especially on the audio you are sending back through your switcher to vMix. While "Program Out" (Does that mean with all audio sources?) will be fine for your event on site, you will run into mix-minus issues for your callers for sure. Get a separate audio feed from your on site mics to your callers and use the built in mix-minus features of vMix.
mavik  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2024 10:20:22 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Why do you get out and in again.
Just use zoom integration or vMixcall and you are good to go. Calls can be set to output 1-4.

If you need a special feed other than the output to be send to the callers just add a mini mix and assign that input to one of the outputs. Select that output then for the callers. Now you have a mixer in the mixer and full freedom what to send to your callers.

Also vmix does the mix minus automatically on every caller.
BriarPatchMedia  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2024 10:36:42 PM(UTC)
BriarPatchMedia

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
Why do you get out and in again.
Just use zoom integration or vMixcall and you are good to go. Calls can be set to output 1-4.

If you need a special feed other than the output to be send to the callers just add a mini mix and assign that input to one of the outputs. Select that output then for the callers. Now you have a mixer in the mixer and full freedom what to send to your callers.

Also vmix does the mix minus automatically on every caller.

I get out and in again because this is a hybrid event. I need to be able to bring in the remote callers into the event and then be able to give the remote callers return.
BriarPatchMedia  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2024 10:48:21 PM(UTC)
BriarPatchMedia

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Hello -

I would then take Program Out of the 20-Input switcher back to the tower via SDI (audio and video), for the callers to see return.

Hi Jonathan,

you will have to be more detailed on the setup of your event, and especially on the audio you are sending back through your switcher to vMix. While "Program Out" (Does that mean with all audio sources?) will be fine for your event on site, you will run into mix-minus issues for your callers for sure. Get a separate audio feed from your on site mics to your callers and use the built in mix-minus features of vMix.

I figured that I would be running into mix-minus issues sending the output of the audio mixer back into VMix. I know it can be done (seen it at different venues) - figuring out the best solution to that and the cabling.
mavik  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2024 5:31:27 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

I do hybrid events regularly. I use mainly MS Teams with NDI enabled in corporate environments as everybody is familiar with it. I create a greenroom meeting specifically for presenters. I feed the program feed into it as my camera via NDI webcam. I use the active speaker and screenshare NDI feed out of that meeting into vMix. Mix everything with the local resources. I added a mini mix for the room output where I use the full screen option out of the GPU into a HDMI splitter for the screens in the room. With the mini mix I can switch from slides to PIP or the remote guest.
BriarPatchMedia  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2024 7:43:16 AM(UTC)
BriarPatchMedia

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
I do hybrid events regularly. I use mainly MS Teams with NDI enabled in corporate environments as everybody is familiar with it. I create a greenroom meeting specifically for presenters. I feed the program feed into it as my camera via NDI webcam. I use the active speaker and screenshare NDI feed out of that meeting into vMix. Mix everything with the local resources. I added a mini mix for the room output where I use the full screen option out of the GPU into a HDMI splitter for the screens in the room. With the mini mix I can switch from slides to PIP or the remote guest.

For the NDI portion, do you have a network switch larger than 1Gb?
mavik  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2024 9:03:42 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Yes I do. But even in a 1G network it will work. If you use NDI HX the bandwidth is lower and you can do 4-8 NDI signals.