logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kismetgerald  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2024 8:27:35 PM(UTC)
kismetgerald

Groups: Registered
United States

Goodday Folks,

I've been thinking about this for some time now, so I figured I'd ask (at the risk of being ridiculed).

Is there a hardware video switcher that can output individual cameras to vMix in addition to the consolidated program output?

So far all the hardware video switchers I've seen only output the program window to vMix. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too...lol.
nikosman88  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2024 2:22:38 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kismetgerald Go to Quoted Post
Goodday Folks,

I've been thinking about this for some time now, so I figured I'd ask (at the risk of being ridiculed).

Is there a hardware video switcher that can output individual cameras to vMix in addition to the consolidated program output?

So far all the hardware video switchers I've seen only output the program window to vMix. I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too...lol.

Hello. At first you need a hardware switcher that can have as many outputs as your cameras. Then a way to have as many hw inputs as you need in vmix. I think personally that the most cost effective way to do this,is to buy hdmi or sdi (depends on your cameras)-->ndi like Kiloview E2 NDI so you can have hdmi output for any hw switcher and ndi out for vmix input
mavik  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2024 8:30:43 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
vMix is a switcher on it's own. And with the miniMixers build in you can have multiple mixes with it.

To ingest cameras into vMix there are plenty of options.
SDI, HDMI, NDI, SDVoE, RTSP, SRT,.....

You can also have differnt ways out.
HDMI, SDI, NDI, RTMP, SRT,...

If you really meant suggestions for a hardware switcher take a look at ross carbonite ultra. A 1U mixer that is very flexible and provides a high number of I/O.
Otherwise please detail your needs and we can be more precise with recommendations.
kismetgerald  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2024 10:36:39 PM(UTC)
kismetgerald

United States

Thanks for the quick responses, however, I think my initial question may have been a bit misleading, so I apologize for that.

I've been a vMix user for over 5 years and very well versed on its video switching capabilities and on how to actually bring the cameras in. What I was attempting to solicit suggestions on is how to offload the processing load of those cameras to a hardware switcher WITHOUT loosing the ability to record those cameras using the Multicorder.

Since I started using vMix at my church, we've always brought in 3 cameras via HDMI and 2 via NDI. While this has worked well, there have been moments where system load has spiked. So we recently purchased the ATEM Mini Pro ISO and moved all cameras to it. So now I guess I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse and wanting to have the Multicorder functionality back. I understand that this may not be possible, but I don't know what I don't know.

Seems like the most viable path forward would be to record locally either at each camera or on the ATEM (something I'd like to avoid, if possible).
Luis70  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2024 11:29:13 PM(UTC)
Luis70

Grenada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The best way is to get an external I/O box, place a capture card in it, and you can have the multicorder function again...I have an AJA capture device via thunderbolt and have no issues....The external expansion with a good capture card may be a cheaper option, as if the card malfunctions, you only need to replace the capture card, or even upgrade t a better card.

AJA Io 4K Plus Professional Video I/O with Thunderbolt 3

AJA Io XT Professional Capture & Playback Device with Thunderbolt

AJA Io X3 Professional Video I/O for Thunderbolt 3

I have 3 Io XT devices, and have no issues...daisy-chain 2 and have 4 inputs complete with audio, and they run great....do a search and do some readup on them.
mavik  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2024 12:14:42 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Kiloview has a multichannel NDI recorder.
DataVideo a 4Ch HDR-90.
Medialooks, Kiloview have a software multicorder.
Yololiv Yolobox Ultra has 4 HDMI, ISO, HDMI out and maybe worth looking into closer. I use it for smaller jobs where you get away with basic switching.
Atomos has a 4 Ch recorder as well that you can use as switcher, records iso and switches.

Hope that helps you a bit.
kismetgerald  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2024 12:39:20 AM(UTC)
kismetgerald

United States

Awesome, these are some great suggestions. I will definitely look into them.

Thank you!
Luis70  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2024 1:04:55 AM(UTC)
Luis70

Grenada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
An external I/O Chassis is the best option to me, as I can place an 8 input capture card and have 8 cameras in your multicorder....I use an internal capture card in a desktop and capture all cameras, plus the output mix as well.....