logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarkNF82  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2024 3:34:46 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Everyone,

We have been plagued with audio issues (usually split-second dropouts) using various systems since 2018. I have used analog line-in, various USB and firewire devices and finally decided to embed audio over SDI using a Black Magic Audio to SDI box. This has lowered the number of dropouts we do get, however we still cannot go through a production without a couple, sometimes at critical times.

Here are the details of a typical production:

- record 1920x1080 12Mbps to record drive
- 2 Streams (both 1920x1080 4.5mbps AAC 128kbps profile), using hardware encoder for both.
- typical production 2 hours.

Extra info:
vMix Drive: Samsung 870 SATA - 512GB
Record Drive: Seagate Baracuda SATA (7200 RPM) - 1TB

Render Time: 3ms / GPU Mem: 15% / CPU vMix: 9% / Total: 17%
CPU: +/-20% / Memory: +/-35% (taskman)
Windows Power Management: High Performance Profile

Running Apps:
vMix 26.0.0.44
Google Chrome to stream
Dimension 4 (NTP time server app)

Can I assume the hardware we have is powerful enough, or are we taxing the system too much? Along side the usual random dropouts, I noticed the audio popped when I loaded the vMix shortcuts screen today, however there is never a spike in GPU or CPU usage when they occur.

I come from a traditional broadcast background and mostly used dedicated, non-pc based equipment, so I wasn't used to having issues like this until I started doing livestreams. Am I expecting too much from a Windows-based solution not to have any audio anomalies? Are there any users with glitch (dropout or otherwise) free productions, or is a certain amount considered "normal", or only capable with "exact" reference system builds?

Many Thanks
m
Leeksonfilms  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2024 6:17:00 PM(UTC)
Leeksonfilms

Spain

Hi Mark,

I have the same issues, but it's when i'm recording program feed and also the multicorder (3 cameras)
The audio it records with dropouts, and the system goes slow.

I'm using VMIX 26, and i tryied the 27 but it's the same problem

The hard drive is ssd
Gfx is Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
Intel Core i7-10700

jet  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2024 8:14:14 PM(UTC)
jet

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MarkNF82 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Everyone,

We have been plaqued with audio issues (usually split-second dropouts) using various systems since 2018. I have used analog line-in, various USB and firewire devices and finally decided to embed audio over SDI using a Black Magic Audio to SDI box. This has lowered the number of dropouts we do get, however we still cannot go through a production without a couple, sometimes at critical times.

Many Thanks
m

Hi,

Have you set the "Audio Gap Handling" to Resample?

https://wp.vmix.com/help27/Audio.html
MarkNF82  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2024 7:36:41 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MarkNF82 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Everyone,

We have been plaqued with audio issues (usually split-second dropouts) using various systems since 2018. I have used analog line-in, various USB and firewire devices and finally decided to embed audio over SDI using a Black Magic Audio to SDI box. This has lowered the number of dropouts we do get, however we still cannot go through a production without a couple, sometimes at critical times.

Many Thanks
m

Hi,

Have you set the "Audio Gap Handling" to Resample?

https://wp.vmix.com/help27/Audio.html

Thanks for the info jet.

No I haven't tried the "Audio Gap Handling" setting. I see there are consequences for both "Drop" and "Resample", neither of which I like the sound of. As I'm noticing the "short inaudable drop" I'm worried the "imperceptible change in pitch" may be more noticable. Is this due to sources not being synced? We are using BMD Decklink Duo2 with 3 cameras. Would a blackburst generator connected to REF IN on the decklink avoid having these issues, or would that have no effect in this situation?

Thanks
m